Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Intrepid, Where Are You? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Intrepid, Where Are You?
Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that Starfleet has only up to 6 Intrepid Classes in full operation (Four minimum). And Federation Space is vast. Remember when the Galaxy Class was new and then Enterprise-D rarely saw any other Galaxy Class during the run of the seven seasons. The other ships were at different sectors and on missions.

------------------
He can't be unoriginal
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual.

He can't be just intellectual
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual
When you're next to me.

Striker
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
couple of things:

1)The Intrepid is like, 5 times smaller than a Galxay.
2)The Intrepid class was completed over 6 years ago.
3)The war would mean that Starfleet would use every resource they have, including very fast scout ships

So, I highly doubt that there are only 4-6 of them out there. IMO, it makes no sense.

------------------
-Striker
kob.diabloii.net

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom actually says to Kim that the ship was built for combat performance, not musical performance. In my books, not being a flying Juillard does not equate to being a warship... This was just wordplay that would not have worked with anything else except "combat performance" - just try it with, say, "exploration performance" and you lose all the punch in the punchline. "Combat performance" is English, "exploration performance" is technobabble.

The Intrepids may not necessarily be easier to build than larger ships: they do feature complex technology like the folding nacelles and landing capability that probably would result in a low-performance compromise ship unless exceptional effort was put into the design. The ships could be "silver bullets" so that not only do they not operate in big fleets (because of their speed), they are also rather few in number in Starfleet overall (because of their cost). Perhaps the very similar Yeagers are built instead, featuring everything the Intrepids have except the superfluous landing capability?

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo already further elucidated what I think about it too. If any ship is a smaller version of the Galaxy, then it's the Intrepid. A small explorer. The Intrepid has the finest in technology, bio-neural gel packs, foldable warp nacelles, Warp 9.975, landing gear, not to mention lots of shuttles . Probably none of these features is likely to be a great advantage in combat, but it is exactly what a ship akin to a Galaxy needs. The ship might have several visiting scientists on its usual missions, more than were present when Voyager serached for the Maquis ship. I think more Intrepids aren't being built for the same reason why there are not so many Galaxies. The combat performance vs. size and building efforts is better for other classes.

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be possible that the Federation still wants to explore, despite the war effort. Since the Galaxys are being used for their full potential as warships and or diplomatic vessels (i.e. Bellepheron), the Intrepids are being used as a supplement until the Galaxys can return to their regular duties. As stated earlier, the Intrepids design innovations seem to be more suited for exploration than combat.

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then why was Voyager send out to fight the Maquis?

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was sent to find the Maquis. And besides, why was the Defiant on a science mission if that's not her mission? Because they wanted her to!

And we know the Enterprise-E was exactly fighting in the war 24/7. She was off on diplomatic missions and such.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps