Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Relativity Time Ship - Possible $$$$poilers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Relativity Time Ship - Possible $$$$poilers
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$
$
$
$

Does any one remember how the USS or was it UTS ? Relativity from the Voyager Episode "Relativity" sent people back intime ? was it a Temporal Transporter or a Kind of Tempoarl Warp Drive which sent the entire ship back? i really dont remember :-)

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Relativity (NCV-474439-G) used temperal transporters, the Aeon used a rift.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited January 03, 2000).]

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it used transporter to send people in time. The Aeon could travel using a temporal rift so it's possible (although not proven) that the Relativity can do the same, although it's probably not very practical unless you have to transport a very large object.

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe cause the Aeon - was a oneman type ship instead of a large multi-crewed ship... It could only travel through time using the rift... OR

maybe with Janeway altering the Future by stopping the events in "Future's End" from happening - she inadvertantly created a different 29th century - with better tech? OR

I reckon there is some MAJOR connection between Voyager, Janeway and the 29th century...

We've had contact with them TWICE...
We know that they meet or have met again... - according to Braxton in relativity - there was a mention of an event occuring which we havent seen yet or haven't seen before in an episode.
There was talk in "Relativity" of Temporal incursions... plus there was lots of nice pretty graphics which... wait for it... Look SIMILAR to the Krenim timeship's tech!!!!!! So we might have a connection her Ladies and Gentlemen...

it would be great if the Voyager writing staff realised these connections.

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Aeon was still the same at the end of "Future's End", so Janeway's actions couldn't have significantly changed 29th-century tech.

As for the Relativity... If they're using those temporal transporters, what do they need a ship for? I would say that maybe they can beam through tim, but still have the same 40,000-km distance restriction, but that doesn't work. They beamed Seven off the Voyager in the DQ, but beamed her onto the Voyager at Mars. So why not just set up a temporal space station or a planetside facility and do all their time-beaming from there?

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because in another situation they do need to get the whole ship into another time??

And they will probably have a whole timetravel center somewhere, if they are smart. But they still have to use ships in some occations of say... a first contact.
I don't think that it is wise to show off your time-travel capability to a species that has just mastered the use of a warp drive...

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the Federation probably still needs to explore and, defend and patrol space.

Actually, the whole episode really blew IMHO. I mean, at the end of "Future's End", Braxton said he never experienced the time line where he was stranded in Earth's past, but here in Relativity, not only does he remember it, but he somehow made it back to the 29th century and is out for revenge! God, that pissed me off!

I did like the new uniforms though.

Maybe, since the Aeon was so small, and the Relativity so big, the Aeon type ships are like Runabouts or shuttles attatched to larger ships.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

TerraZ
Ex-Member

Well, perhaps that "temporal reintegration" thingy allows copies of a character from alternate timeline to merge together. That way, he would get the memories from all his other self, the same way they wanted to do before he was court-martialed.

As to how that "Reintegration" works, the writers didn't know and they always give us the same lame excuse for that kind of situation: "I hate temporal paradox!"

I liked Future's End, because it seemed to imply that the future wasn't set. In Relativity, there's almost no doubt that the Future is set.

I absolutely hate the concept of the Temporal Police. Time travel is good only when used not too often (say, once per season and sometimes that's too much). Imagine an organisation like Starfleet dedicated to fixing paradox. Just imagine how easy it must be to time travel in the 29th century. I hope they never follow that plot again.

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for having your time tansporter aboard a ship, I think there is a solid reason for that. Any change in the timeline can have devastating effects. A planetside base, even if protected from direct timeline effects by a "temporal isolation field", might suddenly find itself on a hostile planet in the hands of vicious enemies, or inside a rubble cloud that used to be a planet once (unless the field encases the whole planet, which probably isn't possible). A ship in deep space faces less of a risk of such mishaps. Plus, it may be easier to erect that isolation field in vacuum.

Did the episode speak of such isolation fields? What kind of timeline protection did they carry?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Janeway could make temoral shielding in Year of Hell, I think the people in the 29th century can probably do something even better.

I would also argue that the Relativity is a relatively unique ship in the 29th cent starfleet. I doubt SF would have a whole ton of ships out patroling time and risking messing it all up. How could you keep anything straight with hundreds of crews out altering or restoring the timeline on different planets? My guess is there are only a few of these ships and that time travel still isn't all that common even in the 29th cent. And I agree, I don't ever want to see that story line again. It ranks among the most confusing and pointless exersizes Voyager has ever engaged in.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: That may be true of a planetside facility, but what about a space station?

------------------
"The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich. Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code. Plato invented the plate."
-Holly, Red Dwarf: "Parallel Universe"

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the reason the Realitivity exists is to prevent tempral incursions. The reason it is unaffected by time line changes is that it is phased out normal space time.

I would like to see more of the realitivity.

------------------
Gods, rarely need morals

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

I think there is no point in arguening on something that has something to do with time travel...it's just too complicated and confusing...

And I suggest AndrewR to cool down and to think about his assumptions and theorys

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody tried to model this ship yet, I need some views (dorsal, side)
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not having seen the episode, I can only speculate. Perhaps one of the missions of the vessel is to study past societies? If it is equipped with advanced cloaking/stealth technology, it might be easier to study ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the Guardian of Forever with a tricorder.

Just guessing.

BTW, I haven't seen much of Voyager for months. Someone email me a link to a spoilers page so I can read up on all I've missed, please?

--Baloo

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps