Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Constellation - Yeager Class (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Constellation - Yeager Class
Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the USS Excelsior decomissioned?

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) The USS Gettysburg is almost definatly not Constellation. Since we know the USS Hathaway was retired after 80 years of service, it's safe to assume the Gettysburg would be retired by now.

2) The USS Republic mentioned on "Valiant" has not been confirmed as the ship from TOS, and was only said to have "never left the Solar System in 50 years", so should could be younger then you think.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be. But I personally get a bit of a nostalgic thrill in thinking that it is indeed the original USS Republic, Constitution class.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gettysburg could still be a Constellation. The Constellation seen in, uh... "Redemption", was it?... was probably labelled as the Valkyrie, whose registry is back there in the 2000s...

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that was labeled with the Hathaway's registry, or at least it appeared to be.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hathaway was NCC-2593 but the Valkyrie was NCC-2590. They were likely launched the same year.

If the Constellation NX/NCC-1974 was the one in that DS9 episode then the ship would have been >90 years old. That's exceptionally old regardless of class.

Again, the Excelsior NCC-2000 would have been ~85 years old at the time of "Interface".

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gettysburg and the Constellation could still be in service with the proper upgrades and we have the constitiution class variant in service in 2373 so anything is possible.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't deny that Constellation class ships might be still in service. After all, we wouldn't think that all Ambassadors have been decommissioned only because we haven't seen them for years. However, taking into account how old the Constellation, Gettysburg and also the Excelsior would be by now, it is more probable that all these ships have been decommissioned. After all there seem to be many ships of newer classes already out of service (Qualor II depot).

------------------
"A few more calculations"

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with your arguments about the Constellation ships but the Encyclopedia III suggests that they are still in service so I assume that some might be in service. They might be in active service but no longer in the front lines unlike the nebulas and excelsiors.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... In what circumstances would Paramount reuse the Constellation model? Trek is now rapidly moving towards mostly CGI effects. The old model might be a liability - it wouldn't get converted into CGI unless there was a plot requirement for it specifically. Probably most of the Starfleet ships from now on will be those created for ST:FC (Akira, Steamrunner, Saber, perhaps Norway, Defiant, Sovereign), those mapped into CGI for late DS9 (Excelsior, Miranda), and completely new designs introduced either for story needs (Nova) or for filler material.

I also doubt Paramount will do much kitbashing in the future in the style of Centaur or Curry or Yeager any more, not with the CGI option available for potentially cheaper and better-looking 'bashes. And there's little in the way of footage on the Constellations or other such designs that could be used - most of it is low-quality static shots from primitive early TNG episodes. Only the Excelsiors have good all-around stock footage from TNG.

All that said, I think we can safely assume that there will be no more Constellations, no matter what the Encyclopedia says or doesn't dare say.

Timo Salonemi

nx001a
Member # 291

Even if we don't see the Constellation Class again i still believe some are still in service such as ones seen in TNG. They may be old but i still believe they are somewhere in the federation. But again i think their time has passed.

------------------

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear is going to miss the constellations.....
:|

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

[This message has been edited by bear (edited January 25, 2000).]

nx001a
Member # 291

I miss the Constitution Class Starships more especially the refit version 2285 in st:III

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps