Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Blink of an Eye" $$$$$ on weapons tech

Author Topic: "Blink of an Eye" $$$$$ on weapons tech
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the obscure title: I'm searching for spoilers without wanting to spoil others.

Specifically, I hear that tricobalt weapons were once again used in Voyager. I also hear that these may have predated things like antimatter missiles and advanced spacecraft in the development of the accelerated planet's weapons tech. Is this correct?

If true, it would again bring us back to the "Taste of Armageddon" interpretation of tricobalts as primitive weapons the Voyager only carried in lieu of more advanced alternatives, for demolition purposes. It would also make it harder to explain why these primitive weapons apparently create subspace effects.

Timo Saloniemi

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the episode, the people on the planet start shooting at Voyager. First comes the antimatter warheads, and they continue for about a decade or so of their time, then comes a tricobalt warhead.

------------------
"You insulted Shakespeare? I'm telling."
-Miss Bate

Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux is right. The warhead that finally took down Voyager's shields was a tri-cobalt device. It gave the ship a good shake compared to the anti-matter charges. Tri-cobalts come after anti-matter charges, no doubt about it.

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, IIRC, the tri-colbalt thing was just an offhand comment, and there were several hits afterwards.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps