Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Have you seen this transport? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Have you seen this transport?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently paid a visit to Jim Stevenson's shipschematics page after a long pause. Among the new entries there I found many pictures of barely glimpsed freighters, Bajoran and otherwise, that have puzzled me in DS9 and lately in Voyager. I'm wondering if anybody could verify the accuracy of the pics.

The freighter design I love most is the tramp introduced for TNG "Heart of Glory" and subsequently modified a lot. It's listed in five variants under "Antares, freighter" under "Federation official designs", best reached at
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/chronology.html

which is the page with the newest entries (and the locations of all the pics I'm talking about unless otherwise specified). Are these variants accurate?

Then there is the Straleb patrol ship, seemingly unrelated to any earlier or later model. Is this true? Why were the components wasted on a one-off appearance?
See "Straleb, security vessel" at the top chart of the page. Is the picture anywhere near accurate?

Then there are the three triangular ships: the one that appeared in the DS9 opening credits on the docking ring (listed under "Bajoran Militia" as "transport, variant 1"), the one seen in an upper pylon in many episodes ("transport, variant 2"), and finally the old Pakled ship ("Pakled, freighter, Mondor" in the list of newest entries). It would seem that the "variant 2" at least is inaccurate - much too wide when seen from above (a better pic from a VOY redress is listed as "Numiri, patrol ship" at the topmost list). But can it be verified that these three are really three distinct designs and not modifications of each other? The triangular hulls do seem distinct in the pictures.

Finally, it seems that Neelix got his ship from Alpha quadrant after all - in "Babel" we see the vessel with an added tail fin, as listed unded "unknown, freighter, Jaheel"! Funny the complex and appealing design never reappeared in DS9...

Timo Saloniemi

------------------

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited January 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited January 20, 2000).]

[ fixed link the rest of the way ]

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited January 21, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your link is wrong. There's a comma instead of a dot.

------------------
So small,
so innocent,
so young,
so delicately done,
grown up in your poison.

"Little Baby Swastikkka"
-Skunk Anansie

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority of those schematics are scanned from the Fact Files and so should be of at least fair accuracy.

And if anyone thinks that some of these ships look odd wait and see the FASA civilian freighters that I've just scanned and sent to Jim.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops... The link should work now. How does one do the "blush" smiley?

I'm mostly worried about the accuracy of the Bajoran ships - there seems to be "artistic licence" in some of the hull details, so I'm not sure if I can trust the general hull shapes, either. I still don't know if the Pakled hull is being used for one or both of the bigger Bajoran freighter designs. Fact Files can be a bit careless with details, like in their Sydney class pictures...

Timo Saloniemi

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion the schematics look pretty accurate...i compared them with the actual ships and they're all accurate to the detail so i guess that this one is as well...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Timo, the link was still messed up. But now it's fixed. :-)

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN how many posts again do i have to have to get the ability to put some comment under my name?

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to have over 250 posts.

Timo: Welcome in the wonderful world of model recycling!

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited January 21, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marko: What he said. :-)

Don't worry, you've only got 190 to go... ;-)

------------------
"Voyager is not true. If it were true, the ship would not look spick-and-span every week, after all these battles it goes through. How many times has the bridge been destroyed? How many shuttlecrafts have vanished, and another one just comes out of the oven? That kind of bullshitting the audience I think takes its toll."
-Ronald D. Moore

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, while the schematics site is wonderful, he does get the name of the Captain's Yacht wrong.
The Calypso was on the E-D.
The Cousteau is the E-E's.

------------------
Gene: "I AM Star Trek"
Yvonne: "You can't sum yourself up in so small a package."
Gene: "SMALL?!!"

- Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I don't know if they are there or not, I'd like to see even some screen grabs of them but these:

The littel shuttle/ship in spacedock in 11001001
The escape ship in "Starship Mine"
The Mars defence perimiter pods from BOBW Part II.

I remember that in "Phage" The Vidiian ship was a redress of the Tallarian refugee ship from "Haven" and it has been something else too... I remember some now - the Hunter of Tosk ship and The ship from "Transfigurations"

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited January 22, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, anyone else remember that the Miradorn ship and the ship from "Gambit" was similar...

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what about the Casdasian ship that was destroyed at the beginning of 'The Maquis, part 1' is the same as the ship that was destroyed by a BOP in the movie 'The Search For Spock'.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Er... That would be the Merchantman. It's one of the most re-used models in all of Trek... :-)

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Merchantman
Sheliak
One of the governments from "The Outrageous Okuna"
what were the others?

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps