Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sector 001 Battle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Sector 001 Battle
Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fount details on the Sector 001 battle (Star Trek 8: First Contact) and the battle is supposed to last 4 days and over 400 ships were lost (!?!).

I'd like some more info on this one...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Marko Latin
Ex-Member

would someone delete this before someone replies (if someone does (witch i doubt then don't delete it))?

oh yeah...and leave the other topic...
------------------

[This message has been edited by Marko Latin (edited January 21, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What...the...hell...?

Anyway, where did you hear that this battle lasted for 4 freaking days? Unless this came from an original line of dialouge not aired or from one of TPTB, I would catagorically say that it is non-canon and noone should consider it reliable at all. I mean we heard the start of the battle on the com and Picard took off and called for Red Alert right away. They must have only been a few hours away at most. Now while I agree this was a writing oversight, the battle did most assuredly not last 4 days.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

Here is a link to the page where i found that...
http://members.tripod.com/~adeadend/index2.htm?list=/~adeadend/listbattles.htm

I noticed some other inconsistances too...when was the Chin'toka retreat if there was such an event? The USS Defiant was destroyed in the battle according to the info there...I know that CAN'T be true...the defiant is still in one piece in Insurrection and will hopefully stay that way...some say that one of the defiant-class ships in VOY:"Message in a bottle" was the Defiant herself...but that's only assumption...

The second Borg attack on the Federation came in 2373. A single cube again attempted to reach Earth and assimilate its population. By this time Starfleet had been building up its forces in the core of the Federation for several years in response to the Romulan, Borg and Dominion threats; a fleet of five hundred Starships met the Borg ship at the Typhon sector and fought a four day running battle all the way to Earth. Starfleet managed to inflict significant damage on the cubes outer hull, but the Borg inflicted massive losses on the fleet in the process. By the time the cube reached Earth some three hundred and twenty ships had been lost, most of them with all hands.

i know it's only speculation but where did the guy who made the site get this???

------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm... Lemme Guess you havent seen the Final Chapter of DS9 have you ?

If you havent seen the Last episodes of Ds9 please stop reading here because im about to spoil it for Marko.

Im not going to say much just that yes the Defiant did go boom and yes thge Chintoka Retreat did take place.

As for the 4 day Sector 001 remark , if you notice this particular site has a "Key" if the Text is Yellow on the page it is Canon Info either from the Episodes or from the Encyclopedia , if the text is white it means that the comment is the webmasters Opinion or theory and if the text is Green that means that the comment is either backstage info , what he means by backstage info i dont know.

Where he came up with this thoery is also a mystery , i emailed him about it but I have yet to receive any reply.

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited January 21, 2000).]

warbird5
Ex-Member

400 ships lost? I kinda find that hard to swallow. A cube cannot take on 400 federation ships. The Sector 001 battle(or at least the one we witnessed) the cube was destroyed by 25 or so ships. The defense at the Typhon sector was probably a small diversion to get the fleet organized. It probably consisted of 10 ships.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh, also, Defiant was NEVER in Insurrection in any way shape or form.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even want to imagine what a cube could do to the federation in 96 hours, gloves off. How many high-yield warheads do you think they could store in there?

------------------
Somehow we're going somewhere.

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
400 ships in a 4 day battle?

Looks like someone did some creative writing...

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

i meant that the defiant was still in one piece at the time the insurrection is happening...

------------------

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

I'd always held the belief that the battle against the Borg was a running fight perhaps lasting a day, with additional Federation ships arriving alone or in groups for the entire duration. Can you imagine a captain saying "You mean we can't be there for five hours? Ah, forget it then. The battle will have already started. Let's just get a bite to eat and wait this one out."

I'd always thought that a small fleet was thrown at the cube for the first battle, which allowed numerous Federation ships to amass at Earth, while other Federation deployments were constantly relieving the ships actually tasked with fighting the cube. That way the cube would be under constant attack while the Federation ships could stand down and regenerate their shields. The battle in First Contact wasn't on the verge of being lost, it just hadn't turned in the Federation's favour yet.

------------------
"I promise you, Wilma, that not one man on this force will rest until the criminal scum that did this are behind bars. Now let's go get a bite to eat." - Frank Drebbin, Detective Lieutenant in Police Squad

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

i think the battle was indeed wery close to being lost...
The cube was very close to Earth and the cube looked like it could take much more beating.

------------------

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

The Federation forces weren't running out of ships, and Earth's orbital defenses hadn't opened fire yet.

------------------
"I promise you, Wilma, that not one man on this force will rest until the criminal scum that did this are behind bars. Now let's go get a bite to eat." - Frank Drebbin, Detective Lieutenant in Police Squad

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fed's weren't running out of ships?
I remember seeing at least 2 or three ships get blown up in the time it took Picard to say "trust me data", and "fire".

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't find Graham's idea of a four-day battle incredible at all, if it indeed is a running battle (starts at Typhon, ends with the launch of the sphere and explosion of cube). I do think that 400 ships destroyed is a bit much - Starfleet would certainly be wiser now, and would know when to retreat. Saving the Earth simply isn't worth losing 400 ships over!

I'd also say the glimpse we got of the final sublight part of the battle aren't representative of the battle in general. We saw perhaps half a dozen ships get destroyed during that glimpse of perhaps five-six minutes. A ship per minute just isn't likely - Starfleet would rather give up than lose such numbers of ships on a lost cause. If a ship per minute is lost without causing more than the "heavy surface damage" Data observed, then there is no hope of saving Earth even with thousands of sacrificed ships.

There would be good reasons to assume the battle got bloodier as Earth approached. The Cube was interested in getting through this time, not in stopping to assimilate the fleet. It probably simply didn't bother to destroy too many ships while at warp.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps