Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sector 001 Battle (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Sector 001 Battle
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can both of them not have survived? Starfleet had 40 ships engage the Borg at 359. Since we saw a Kilngon BoP get blown up in a "Unity" flashback by a Borg cube, and at that time, the only encounter with a cube was 359. Thus, there was at least one Klingon ship present and destroyed at 359. That gives us a minimum total of 41 ships. Since 39 were destroyed, at least two had to have survived. Why not those two?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

bonecrusher
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What episode shows a Bop being blown away by a cube? Voyager ep "unity" where the borg "planet collective" was formed? That episode showed the attack on DS9 in "Way of the Warrior," BTW had happened after Voyager left to the badlands.

------------------
"I Got two words for you.. S*uck it!"-DeGeneration X
Oh Hell Ya there back!

Bonecrusher
http://members.xoom.com/smartiee

IP: Logged
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the account of the Borg by Captain Amasov were first hand accounts of his engagement with the Borg. We know he was at worf 359 since the report was written before voyager was lost in the delta quadrant in 2371. It could not have been in 2373 when the endeavor engaged the borg.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could have been anytime between Wolf 359 and 2371, though. The E-D met the Borg twice in that time, in "I, Borg" and "Descent". And the Excalibur met them in about 2368, according to "Survival Instinct".

And more than one ship could have survived the battle at Wolf 359. Roughly 40 ships were summoned initially, and at least 40 arrived since 39 were lost and at least one must have survived to pick up the lifepods. But there's nothing to say that 42 or even 50 ships couldn't have arrived eventually, so that there could be dozens of survivors or semi-survivors. 40 is just the minimum figure.

If a big and mighty Nebula like the Endeavour decided to retreat before destruction, then many lesser ships probably also saw the wisdom of such a maneuver...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way that anyship would have tried to escape since they were there to save the billions of lives on Earth from being assimilated. They wouldn't leave to save their relatively few asses and let billions die...

Secondly - the Awhanahee from Redemption could have been a previously decommisioned ship that was recommisioned for the sole purpose of the blockade...

Allowing for a lower registry than the one damaged/destroyed at Wolf 359

There were only Fed ships at Wolf 359 they often reuse stock footage... see Shades of Grey! there was even a scene from The Search for Spock in Riker's dreams.

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strangly enough, an Endeavor was mentioned in the radio-chatter in 'First Contact'. You can clearly hear: "Defiant and Endeavor, pull back to ..."

But Janeway could never have known about that, since they left the Alpha Quadrant about 2 years before 'First Contact'.

Could this be the same Endeavor?? Appearantly Asamov survived, or else he could not have made a report about his contact with the Borg. He would have had previous experience with fighting the Borg. But then again, so has Picard...

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Altair and although the evidence is conjectual. It all points to the Starship Endeavor surviving the battle against the Borg.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew:

We know that at least one ship retreated, since someone had to pick up Sisko's lifeboat. The Admiral DID give orders to fall back just before his ship was destroyed, so it's at least possible that some decided to follow that, even though he was dead. Where they went, and why they were never mentioned, I have no idea.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lifeboat could have been retrieved by another ship that came by afterward, but wasn't at the battle. Some sort of unarmed or lightly armed transport, or something.

As for the Endeavour... Even if it was at W359, it could still have been destroyed. As mentioned, Amasov could have escaped on a lifeboat. Sisko survived, too, but that doesn't mean that the Saratoga wasn't destroyed...

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. didn't thought of that...

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some facts-
USS Endeavor is in the episode "Redemption, Part 2"
The opening narration of "Emissary" says that Capt Picard was a Borg captive for six days.
The information that the USS Endeavor fought in Wolf 359 is provided by the third encyclopedia. This is speculation by Mr. Okuda. Also note, the USS Ahwahnee NCC-71620 was reported as destroyed by the second encyclopedia at Wolf 359 yet there is a diagram from "Redemption, Part 2" showing the ship being in the blockade. I have seen this diagram in the show. My point is, the information in the encyclopedias is not accurate unless (I underlined this word) verified by a show or film. The USS Ahwahnee is confirmed as being in operation in 2368 and the USS Endeavor is confirmed as having had contact with the Borg before 2371. The circumstances of the encounter were never disclosed.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the seuqnce in "Unity" actually show BoP's at *Wolf 359*? I don't think so. It could be a Klingon-Borg-only encounter.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Omega
Member # 91

I think we probably would have heard about the Klingons having to deal with the Borg. Besides, they seem to be more interested in us than the Klingons.

I believe that the E-D was the first ship to reach the scene of the battle after the massacre, and she didn't detect any lifesigns. If someone else had gotten there first, they surely would have told the E what happened. Maybe someone tractored all the escape pods out of range, then went back and got blown up.

------------------

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

I remember putting this thread up with the topic "Sector 001 Battle"....not "Wolf 359 Battle"...

Hello?
Have we all wondered off the topic?

I think that a saying fits perfectly with an invasion or any contact with the Borg: "Shit happens!", Duke Nukem

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

And one other thing...why would the borg blow up escape pods? With all those potential drones just floating trough space it would be a terrible waste...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps