Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Subspace Weapons

Author Topic: Subspace Weapons
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Insurrection, we learn that subspace weapons are banned in the Federation. However, in the thread just next door to this one, we're analyzing the subspace effects of the common phaser. I've got a refined definition of what a subspace weapon is, and I'm looking for comments.

A subspace weapon is any device that utilizes subspace in a primary role. That is, like the warp drive, it generates a subspace field to produce whatever the effects of the weapon are. A phaser, on the otherhand, only has secondary subspace effects. While it shunts matter into subspace, and possibly pulls energy out of it, it doesn't utilize subspace itself to do this.

In other words, a subspace weapon "pulls" subspace into normal space, while a phaser only utilizes energies present in normal space to produce subspace effects. That is, a phaser manipulates an object to push it into subspace, while a subspace weapon manipulates subspace itself. (For more on how I'm picturing subspace, I'd direct you to Paul Cargile's theories regarding the subject, but they don't appear to be online quite yet.)

Subspace weapons are banned because, unlike phasers, they have the ability to change the nature of subspace in the area they are used, and therefore may cause damage to the very fabric of spacetime.

I guess that's a little less clear then I'd like it to be.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the reference to banned subspace weapons were specifically those that caused damage to the subspace continuum (effectively making it useless as a means of spaceflight). I think we're saying the same thing here which is that phasers don't actually do harm where as a 'subspace destruction' device obviously does.
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think they do both. Some use subspace field to tear apart a target, and some damage or destroy subspace.

(Sol, I was waiting on a second return email from you which is why I didn't post the subspace theories before. . .)

But now I have the whole thing that I and Baloo brainstormed on, with three pictures right HERE.

------------------
I'm the only one who understands me, and I ire of my company.
--Paul Cargile

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops. Sorry about that. I do have some other stuff...I'll post it here and the group can collectively tear it apart.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either no one cares or there is nothing to disagree with?

------------------
The best thing about being a solipsist is that I'm the only one here.
--Paul Cargile

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Hopefully the latter.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps