Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Computer display and model ships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Computer display and model ships
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I messed with the pic in Photoshop and it is definately disconected from the wall. The shadow it's casting on the wall doesn't connect to the top of the whateveritis. I would agree with Black Knight that it's some sort of station cargo transport. I see a ribbed undercarriage and a basically flat top portion. There does appear to be something like a control room or bridge towards the upper left of the object and a row of windows underneath. I think there's some writing on the right hand side along the "beam" or nacelle.

I don't think this is a starship (I also HOPE it's not).

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would assume a cargo vessel of some kind - and low warp - or even interplanetary impulse.

Reminds me of those grain ships from TAS.

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anotherr obscure ship - well sort of - was the Engineering display for The Pegasus - where it was probably of the Ambassador era design that Sternbach and co. were going to build until they ran out of time/money...

It has four nacelles aparently... so maybe a constellationasized Ambassador?

Andrew

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I see the nacelles. And I think I see what you think is a saucer. It would be interesting to find out what this actually is. Anyone know how to talk to the people who did this scene?

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR: The Pegasus was supposed to be a Cheyenne. But, they didn't have enough time/money to make a detailed enough model for the episode, so they just used an Oberth.

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Which sounds funny because the Crazy Horse was also supposed to be a Cheyenne, in the first Encyclopedia that was printed slightly before "The Pegasus" was written. Yet, TPTB chose to use a ship of that name in the episode and portray her as an Excelsior.

There could be a convoluted logic into all this. Perhaps the model people wanted to show off their four-nacelle concept and asked the tech people to write that into the script, in the parts where the original writers had left these blanks. The tech writers did as asked, and chose the Crazy Horse as the name for the admiral's ferry. Then the model people were told they wouldn't get the money and time to build a presentable Cheyenne anyway, since the Pegasus needed to be a customized ship. So they decided to do her as a four-naceller instead, and asked Okuda to do the relevant okudagrams. And then the money and time for *that* project disapperared, too.

Didn't Nemecek say that it was Sternbach who was tasked with originally designing the Pegasus? Perhaps after the makers of the Cheyenne model (Jein?) were denied the funds for detailing of that model, Rick derived inspiration from their attempt in creating the Pegasus.

Timo Saloniemi

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would have been great to see at least a Cheyenne Class, even two. I'm wondering why wouldn't the Cheyenne Class that was built for Wolf 359 not used. It looked good, unless when the meant decent they meant lit up like a Christmas tree.

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was mostly a lighting issue, although the original model may also have had too few mounting points or been too wobbly or something. Or perhaps motion-control photography required a bigger model than one created out of E-D plastic kit parts? The surface detail was certainly sufficient for most shots, even if not quite as detailed as in the big "hero ships".

A few Cheyennes would have been nice in the DS9 fleet action scenes. They'd have been easy to recognize at a distance...

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started this topic before I found a reference to these pics of what I consider to be the Saladin- and Ptolemy-class starships: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/new/mod.htm Therefore I�m posting them now.
They can be seen on a bridgeconsole during the Kobayashi Maru-simulation.
I took these screencaps myself and as you can see, they are not very good. My screencap-hardware is rather old. So if anyone has any better pics, please get in touch:-)

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited February 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited February 10, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

hey nice work

I know a lot of you don't think that they should be 'official' - I too have hated the one nacelle ship - but seeing as we have seemed to have accepted the Freedom - why not the TOS versions? You could always have two rows of warp coils with in the one nacelle!?!

I wouldn't mind seeing a vid cap of the ship from Data's scan of the files in Picard's Ready Room - on his display device... you have to slow mow through the rapidly moving images - its almost klingon in design - If I remember correctly - oh - BTW it was from "Conspiracy" - also - have a good look - there might be some other interesting info tidbits on other 'screens' that Data looks at.

Andrew

------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ships on screens (padd�s?) from "Conspiracy", that�s interesting. Have you seen anymore unusual screenshots?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Timo
Member # 245

The data dumps in "Conspiracy" and "The Last Outpost" and also in "The Naked Now" seem to show a refitted Constitution, a Klingon K't'inga battlecruiser, an Orion Wanderer from the SFB RPG, two different system maps, a partial cutout of a starbase, an an unidentifiable slightly Klingon-looking ship or station design, in addition to rows after rows of gibberish - and one picture of a big parrot with Gene Roddenberry's head!

It would be nice to know where all that material came from - it must be some sort of fan publication material like the Saladin/Hermes and Ptolemy pictures in STII were.

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the Orion ship from those displays:
http://frankg.dgne.com/utopics/fasaship.jpg

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Thanks Timo, anything else you might remember? I just love those obscure ships we only see on monitors and way, way in the background.
BTW, I think the Freedom-class and it�s TOS predecessors Saladin- and Hermes-class starships are really cool.

------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Thanks Frank, that is a cool ship. Excuse a stupid question, but since that ship was shown on the show, and therefore official, what then is FASA?
BTW, is it OK if I use that pic on my page with a reference to you?

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps