Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Computer display and model ships (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Computer display and model ships
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the possible modified workbee: http://frankg.dgne.com/sff/shipyards6.jpg

someone called this a possible sphinx workpod, right?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What class of ship is that directly below Voyager (over to the left there)? It looks vaguely like an Akira but not really.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for answering to this specific subject so late, but unfortunately I didn't visit the thread earlier:

Sol System: Great, we've got the same mousepad.
I agree the whateveritis MIGHT be a small freighter or such, but then again, who knows?

Ultra Magnus, what's wrong with having a Trek mousepad? ;-)

Anyway, there seems to be another "real" Mystery-ship. I've often heard of an Oberth Class ship that's supposed to be visible in Spacedock in the final scenes of Star Trek IV. I could never make it out in any scene in that film. Is there anyone who knows about that mystery-Oberth?

Oh, and about that Akiraesque ship in the Timeless screencap, I believe it is an Akira - just not finished - after all it's a shipyard and you wouldn't expect to see only completed starships. I quite like these half-finished ships like the Galaxy you see in one of the shots.

I know the following doesn't quite belong in this section, just thought it might be worth mentioning. In my thread about my model-LEGO ships I decribed my Nebula class - I forgot to mention that I also built a second Nebula in the final stages of construction. Looks quite similar to some of the ships in Timeless.

------------------
oh behave!!

[This message has been edited by Austin Powers (edited February 10, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that Data view screen ship - it maybe a FASA orion ship?? Shouldn't we fit it in with known Trek law?

Maybe it is an Orion Syndicate ship?

It looks sort of unseen pre Vorcha Klingon to me - with the rounded front piece and the 'block' on top of the long "neck"

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The workbee in the Utopia Planitia scene is just the standard 'bee - but with a waldo assembly that is not the rounded one used in ST:TMP. Instead, if I am correct, it is the angular manipulator system ORIGINALLY designed for the pod by Probert, as documented in "Mr Scott's Guide"! As far as I know, the ST:TMP waldo system did not have those inward-turned underbelly "flippers", while the original angular system did.

So probably somebody did a bit of CGI as a hobby project here, using "Mr Scott's Guide" as the inspiration. This ain't the Sphinx, but it is almost as good! Heck, this could be the improvement Picard was working on in "Coming of Age"...

Timo Saloniemi

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, I need consensus here. Is Joseph's book official (regarding ships)?

Agree or disagree

------------------
For all you Fighting needs
http://www.fighters.net

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Orion ship shown on Data's screen is the Orion Wander Class Starship from the FASA material. I've noticed between ST:TMP to Voyager that on screen graphics, i.e. Okudagrams (or even background info) that has come from the Franz Joseph Tech Manual, FASA, Worlds of the Federation and others. I usually count the image and any information that was on screen with the image as factual (like the stats for the destroyer seen from FJTM on a background screen in STII: TWOK) So in the case of the Orion ship on Data's screen, it only showed the ship, not any of the information from the FASA books.

Basicly its more pieces to the big puzzle we are all trying to put together.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Stark: Hmm, cool tidbits. Can you be more specific? Exactly which ships have we seen or have gotten information on in various computerdisplays? Do you have screencaps?
Perhaps you can identify my screencaps? They are from TNG "Conspiracy" http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/scifi/star2m2.htm
(I know the quality sucks....If anyone has better, please post them)

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first blurry screencap on http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/scifi/star2m2.htm
is the Lotus Flower class Neutronic Fuel Carrier from FASA - a civilian ship. The second is very hard to make out but it might be the Romulan Nova class Battleship also from FASA. The third we already know to be the Orion Wanderer class Blockade Runner.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pIN - can I get credit for spotting the space dock cargo vessel

Hey I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Identity crisis: Thanks for the identification of my blurry screencaps. I�ll mention it on my webpage with my next update. Can I find pics of the FASA ships somewhere? It would be cool to complement my screencaps with actual pics from FASA.

AndrewR: yeah, sure, I�ll mention it on my webpage with my next update.

------------------

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be able to find the Lotus Flower and Nova on shipschematics.net.

The Wanderer is an Orion ship and, last time I talked to him about it, Jim Stevenson said that he's "not doing the Orions currently, maybe in the future."

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Starship Freak
Member # 293

identity crisis: Hey, thanks! I absolutely agree with your identification of the Lotus class. However I don�t agree with the Romulan Nova-class. My screencap-ship looks bulkier, don�t you think?

------------------

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

It's so faint that I don't really know what it is. The Nova was the closest I could think of.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Well, just found this image: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/star-trek/seti.jpg
It�s from "Future�s end, part 1", and shows a part of a picture from the SETI office. Any ideas? Looks like one of those old NASA concepts for long-ranging spacecrafts that collects their own fuel or the one that uses nuclearbombs as engines to me.

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.