Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oh crap... ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oh crap... ($$$)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I have recieved an interesting e-mail from the Okudas, infamous for the Star Trek Encyclopedia. But, before I show you the mail, let me show you why I sent the original e-mail

Some idiot roaming around the Star Trek Continuum yesterday claimed that she had talked to Okuda, and that Okuda had said that the newest Defiant's registry was actually NX-74205-A. So, just to prove this person wrong, I e-mail Okuda, and asked him which registry is correct, NCC-75633 or NX-74205-A.

So, now I recieved an e-mail back. Here is exactly what he said...

quote:
Thanks for the note.� If I recall, we discussed a variety of options for the
new Defiant's registry number at the preproduction meeting.� The option that
was chosen was for the new Defiant to have the same number as the original
ship.� This was done because our visual effects department planned to use a
number of stock shots of the original Defiant in the battle scenes of the
last episode.� They did not want to have a new number on the new ship,
because then it would not match the stock footage, and they knew that fans
would notice the discrepency.

-Mike

Well, this has completly upset the balance. The new Defiant is actually NX-74205-A! UGH!

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Defiant is as important to the fleet as the Enterprise was for the forty years it was in service. Yes, good reason. *rolls eyes*

I'm going with NCC-75633. I don't care what Okuda says.

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too. You can change the name, but changing the registry number screws the whole thing up.
And if they're so worried about fans noticing discrepancies, how come they always used stock footage of battles during the Dominion War? I mean, a ship can only be blown up once.

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute.....Mike Okuda said THE SAME NUMBER as the previous Defiant, which means NX-74205, NOT NX-74205-A. I remember the episode now, the Defiant flew in close to the screen and it still had the original registry number, even though it was a totally different ship than the original. The Enterprise letter prefix remains upheld!
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't like it.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, he said that they were keeping the original number to reuse stock shots.

The Stock Shots Do Not Say 74205-A.

Therefore, the current registry number on the current Defiant is NX-74205, as evidenced on screen.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Okuda meant it was supposed to be NX-74205-A, since most people who saw the stock footage (and weren't thinking when they did) assumed the registry was NX-74205-A, since they rarely freeze-frame episodes in order to see registries

Either way, I still want to stay with NCC-75633. Anyone care to e-mail Sternbach or something and see what they say about this?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited February 01, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Sternbach had anything to do with it.

I think Stipes is who'd you wanna call on. Or Okuda again. He does change his mind quite often.

------------------
I bet when Neanderthal kids would make a snowman, someone would
always end up saying "Don't forget the big heavy eyebrows." Then they would all get embarrassed because they remembered they had the big hunky eyebrows too, and then they would get mad and eat the snowman.

-Jack Handey

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Sternbach does Voyager...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the...? They didn't want to change the registry because we would notice the discrepancy? Why eliminate one discrepancy, when it's going to cause another?! His logic in this situation was rather flawed, eh?

Anyway, here's the best explanation I can come up with... When the hull was painted, someone had already told the painters that the ship was going to be renamed Defiant. They told them to go ahead and put the old registry back on, too, just to make the DS9 crew feel good (I mean, that was the only reason for changing the name, too...). They probably figured the thing was likely to get blown up during the invasion of Cardassia, anyway. Since it didn't, I would guess they would have put the real registry back on after things calmed down.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think they put on the old registry to annoy the Dominion. "Hey, didn't we destroy that ship?"

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screw NX-74205-A, doesn't it have to be an NCC pefix,
cause it's not a prototype.

Anyways it is gonna be Sao Paulo in my books

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 Tech Man explains why the first ship kept its NX registry (the Trek reason and the real reason). As for the new Defiant, it should keep the name, but according to every Naval tradition I've ever heard, the registry should remain that of the Sao Paulo.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Zachary Smith speak*
BAH!

Okuda is a gifted and talented artist who has made great contributions to Trek canon.

But on this he is clearly talking codswallop!

Nobody gets a letter except the big E!

(I've already concluded Riker was a gimp for giving the yamato one! )

------------------
"You don't need eyes to see; you need VISION"
- Faithless / Reverence

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds very much as if Okuda suggests to keep the very same number. Actually, if it were "...-A" it would be visible and be still another inconsistency in the inconsistency. Anyway, giving the ship a used number is the worst possible choice for continuity.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps