Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 10)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's not very accurate, but...

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited February 19, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, don't worry it helps though!

Just curious - blur spotting again what is that 'ship' just near the top rim of the saucer section

to the top left?

Also, try fixing the Gamma correction - you might get more detail...

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
that ship at the rim of the princeton could be the chekov. there appears to be a saucer with two nacelles.
one question about the princeton, what is the small "pimple" at the edge of the bulge? this feature of the hull appears to be raised-one half in shadow, other half in light.
further notes,
princeton's registry is a few centimeters forward of the bulge.
princeton's saucer seems to be out of alignment. battle damage?
all the nacelles are connected to the ship at the dorsal, not one to the dorsal and two to the ventral as in the ff diagram. as far as i can tell, this is one of the mistakes made by the artist. the others is the omission of the "pimple" or "pimples" found near the bridge and the ambassador class secondary hull.
secondary hull seems to be daedalus-like-circular with the deflector dish beneath the saucer.
so in my imagination, i imagine the niagara to have the following description=
saucer is circular like those of the constitution. there is a center bulge which holds the bridge. towards the rear of the bulge at southwest and southeast (if the bulge faced north), there are two small bumps-function uncertain. at the rear of the saucer or at the connecting neck, there is the impulse drive.
connecting neck-probably thin and completely underneath the saucer.
secondary hull-circular with the deflector dish forward. connected to the sh's dorsal side, there are placed three nacelles. they are connected to the secondary hull by a center pylon which holds the center nacelle. pylons to the outboard nacelles are wide and cover most of the secondary hull.
nacelles are thin at the front and widen towards the back. similar in appearance to gc but of older construction.
date of construction for this ship-2330's to 2350's based on registries-NCC-28473 and NCC-58904.
this class is not the best designed and is rather ugly. it probably served as a cruiser.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited February 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited February 19, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NCC-28473 seems to be some sort of a mistake - another reference in the Encyclopedia gives a standard 58000-range rego for the Wellington. So there's no definite need to assume that this is an older vessel possibly refitted with TNG-style nacelles later on. It's just one possibility.

The ship may in reality look much better than in the pictures. It might still be that the seemingly twisted saucer is in fact mounted quite straight, and the bridge superstructure simply is wider astern, shaped like a pear or something (the starboard parts would simply be in too deep a shadow to be seen). Can we contact Greg Jein to see if he has any photos or further info? It now seems well established that he's the one responsible for this beast.

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Timo
Where in the encyclopedia is the 58000 registry for the USS Wellington?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it again this weekend and saw the Princeton definitely has no right nacelle. My only explanation is that it was ripped off, I don't believe that the strut was bent in a way that the right nacelle is now in the middle.

targetemployee: How can you know the secondary hull is Daedalus-like? All I could tell about it is that it's rather narrow and we don't know its length.

Note the bulge on the center nacelle? This looks very similar to the AGT Enterprise and the WoTW Galaxy-class.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee just sent me this: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/shipfrag.jpg

He played a little with the unknown saucer from "Emissary", and found that a Constitution saucer would match the debris best.

I wonder if the dark part of the saucer is actually blown away (could it be the Melbourne?) or just shaded.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I would say more likely a refit one...

And is there even any need to compare it to the Sovvy and Akira, seeing how the models of those were non-existant at the time? :-)

------------------

Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it IS a refit Constitution saucer, it would certainly fit the USS Gage's NCC-11672 registry... also, it looks like part of the saucer is indeed shaded and part has been blown off, and the engines are somehow connected directly to the rear of the saucer somehow?
IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernd, Lee - whoever did that compile pic - or anyone looking at it for that matter - is that 'video static' on the bottom - cause if not - that suacer looks like it has a horizontal 'thing' (nacelle??) above and below it!?! ??The CHEKOV!?!

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for the....

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think I spotted the Chekov, thanks to Bernd's great site - if you look at the picture of the Niagara, the ship seen in the distance to the left over the bow seems to match his two schematics. Kind of. Actually, it seems to be a combination of the two possible schematics, being very similar to the framework one, except instead of the "marker pen" engines sprouting off the top of the saucer, they are on long pylons sticking straight out the side (and possibly angled downwards) of the long secondary hull. The front of the saucer is covered in shadows. Am I hallucinating, crazy, or can anyone else make this out? Of course, if you look at it crosseyed, it also could have four nacelles , but I hope not...
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Erm... Can you be a bit more specific? The only distant ships in the vicinity of the Niagara are nothing more than microscopic, blurry smudges to me.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Hey, Frank - sheesh! Anyway - That doesn't mean that that was all the starships in that scene... ok it probably was - but what about the Bonestell - they didn't mention the Oberth class Bonestell in that paragraph - although they could have been referring to that particular shot, but do you know if the picture posted is what the paragraph is referring to?

------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hesitate to show you this pic, but it looks as if this contradicts what Frank is saying. http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/star-trek/wolfunknown.JPG
This is no excelsior, but what it is I have no idea. Almost looks like a constellation-variant to me.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps