Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 13)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Especially since the Roosevelt is the only one of the known ships listed. Was this before or after that name was used on Voyager? If it was before, I'd say they just got lucky in picking that name. If it was after, why would they use that name, but not the others, which are easily accessible via the encyclopedia?

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
The full list of ships then at Wolf 359 is
1. USS Ahwahnee NCC-71620
2. USS Beagle
3. USS Bellerophon NCC-62048
4. USS Bonestell NCC-31600
5. USS Brahms (probably named after Johannes Brahms, rf. "Requiem for Methuselah")
6. USS Buran NCC-57580
7. USS Chekov NCC-53702
8. USS Cousteau (from Star Trek: Communicator)
9. USS Esteban
10. USS Everest
11. USS Falcon
12. USS Firebrand NCC-68723
13. USS Gage NCC-11672
14. USS Gauss
15. USS Gemini
16. USS Klondike
17. USS Khumba
18. USS Kyushu NCC-65491
19. USS Liberator NCC-67016
20. USS Maxwell (probably named after an earlier Maxwell)
21. USS Marco Polo
22. USS Melbourne NCC-62043
23. USS Nepal
24. USS Neptune
25. USS Peking (why would Starfleet choose the incorrect name for Beijing?)
26. USS Pioneer
27. USS Popovich
28. USS Princeton NCC-58904
29. USS Pueblo (this ship also in "Eye of the Beholder")
30. USS Rixx (probably named after an earlier Rixx)
31. USS Roosevelt NCC-2573
32. USS Saratoga NCC-31911
33. USS Shimoda
34. USS Solaris (wasn't this the name of a Russian film from the early 1970's)
35. USS Tokyo
36. USS Tolstoy NCC-62095
37. USS Vandenburg
38. USS Vega
39. USS Volga
40. USS Watley
41. USS Yamaguchi NCC-26510

I discount the USS Endeavor NCC-71805 for there is no evidence from "Scorpion, Part 1" that the ship fought the Borg at Wolf 359.
According to "The Drumhead", there were 39 ships lost in the battle. One or two ships survived the battle and picked up survivors.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And that list has a total of fifteen ships that we actually have any reason to believe were really there.

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot the Rigtheous (Excelsior, NCC-42451) from Star Trek Borg. Are ships from PC-games canon?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. The TV shows and movies are canon...and that's it.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This spontaneous stuff takes a little bit of planning." - John Flansburgh

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Starship Creator gives cannon ships, new ships and registries to known ships, eg NCC-61901 for the U.S.S. Saber. Referring to this game, the Excelsior-Class Livingston was also destroyed at Wolf 359

Conclusion: the information from this Game are cannon??

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited March 18, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solaris is actually a famous science fiction novel.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

I don't know Solaris. This book isn't published in Austria up to now.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Games like Starship Creator still aren't canon, though.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This spontaneous stuff takes a little bit of planning." - John Flansburgh

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The author of Solaris is Stanislaw Lem. It was written in 1961. I read it quite a while ago, but as I seem to recall, it was about a planet that was sentient.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An ocean that covered the planet, actually. And Solaris the book was turned into Solaris the movie.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Which was turned into Solaris the lunchbox, Solaris the talking doll, Solaris the flamethrower (the kids love this one...) :-)

------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Fitz, welcome to the board.

As for your list, I see many are names from the Trek encyclopedia. And the Volga? That was/is a runabout assigned to DS9. The Roosevelt may have been also from the encyclopedia.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, the Roosevelt is in the encyclopedia, yes, but that's because it was in a VOY ep. As for the Volga, there's no reason there couldn't have been on at W359. Ship names do get reused, y'know...

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are my thoughts about the ships from the World Tour (I didn't see them when I was there):

U.S.S. Roosevelt - The WT was after the epsiode "Unity" was aired, so the canon ship made it to the list.
U.S.S. Klondike
U.S.S. Volga - two rivers: Danube class?
U.S.S. Watley - Isn't that Bashir's great-grandmother?
U.S.S. Maxwell - This could be rather the famous scientist than the captain.
U.S.S. Gauss - another scientist - Oberth class?
U.S.S. Peking - I don't like it, but since the whole world speaks English, SF is likely to use the more common and easier spelling. Just like USS Danube which should habe been named either "Donau" or "Dunav" or "Dunava" in indigenous languages.
U.S.S. Shimoda - Jim Shimoda played the assistant to the chief engineer in "The Naked Now".

Summarizing, the names would make sense, if they were canon, but they are not.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps