Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 2)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering, the pic Frank posted of the quad-nacelled ship: http://frankg.dgne.com/sfsd/ships/images/quad-nacelle-2.jpg
,doesn�t it look a bit like an Oberth-class starship instead of a four-nacelled unknown? I almost think I can see the engineering hull that is so typical for that class.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got email from Okuda on the subject. While he said he'd go back for more exact notes, he recalled that no specific model was associated with Rigel or Challenger classes. He also recalled that his old slide show included the following ships:

1.Nebula/Melbourne: Just as commonly described, except that Miarecki built two near-identical study models, of which one was damaged for the shots and one was used as tabletop decoration in later episodes. So the original might have been nothing but splinters in the episode, instead of barely charred as I thought.
2.Springfield/Chekov: "A scaled-down Galaxy-shaped saucer, and two warp nacelles, one above and the other below the engineering hull". Koenig wanted to have the model as a memento, but it disappeared when on loan for a VFX test shot. Okuda says he thinks he built this one himself.
3.New Orleans/Kyushu: As commonly described
4.Cheyenne/Ahwahnee: As commonly described

Rigel probably wasn't in the show after all, although Freedom might have been.

Also, Okuda says the other four-naceller is one of perhaps three or four Excelsior study models made by Bill George. It's apparently related to the flat two-naceller but is still a separate model.

And in addition to the McQuarrie Phase II ships, the Phase II shuttlecraft maquette was also prepared for photography for "BoBW". It's not known if the shuttle was really shot, though.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now for the speculation part:

Okuda said that the goal of the kitbashing was specifically to create "sister ships" for the Galaxy class, so one would think that as few as possible "out-of-era" designs were created. This casts doubt over the common description of Challenger class. Perhaps the "Challenger" in the pictures is actually a Constellation? Or at the very least, the ship in the pictures is not supposed to be Challenger class USS Buran and does not have a 50000-range registry.

Also, Okuda wasn't quite sure about the specifics of the Chekov, but I certainly wouldn't rule out the two-nacelle configuration. Both Okuda and Miarecki seem to take credit for this ship, but of course the ships must have been joint projects to a great degree. The vertical three-naceller probably isn't the Chekov after all, then. So it might be either the elusive Niagara or the Rigel, or even the Challenger, all of which are left without a matching model in Okuda's commentary.

Bernd: The soliton rider and the ship at Qualor II apparently are reuses of the Mars Perimeter Defence
ships. One can see the "beavertail" central hull very much resembles a Typhoon class SSBN hull, while the nacelles come from Los Angeles class... The craft are recycled "Hunt for the Red October" material! Perhaps this is some sort of a "corvette" design common to an earlier era, now mainly flown automated?

Oh, and BTW, Okuda sends his regards to the intrepid creators of the Wolf 359 page, and tells he liked the page a lot.

That covers all of Okuda's post now, except for a story about Stewart coming to Okuda's room in full Locutus costume to xerox some script pages, just as Okuda was cutting the Melbourne to pieces for shooting. Of course Okuda went "Now look what you have done!"

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: You might be right about the Excelsior study model I at Qualor. I don't know any other ship with such a wide nacelle distance. As for TSN's suggestion, it's possible, but I wonder about the four nacelles. Maybe, since there are apparently two more study models we don't know, we have actually seen thme in the two episodes.

Timo: It's obviously getting complicated again, just after I thought it was all pretty clear. First of all, Miarecki said he didn't remember the ships he built; we are still waiting for another reply about the specific suggestions I made on my site, but maybe he's a bit tired of our e-mail bombardment.

If Miarecki built two Nebulae, the ship we have commonly identified as Rigel could be the damaged one. Provided that the undamaged Nebula is supposed to be the Melbourne and is in the scene too (off-screen?).

The most important thing to do will be looking for a ship with a vertical nacelle configuration. The Chekov disappeared after BoBW, didn't it?

Interesting that the Soliton Wave Rider could be composed of three submarines. Never thought of that.

I'm glad that Okuda liked the site, it would be even better with some certain slides...

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Timo
Member # 245

As far as I understood, the Chekov disappeared only after having been used in the filming. I might have to ask for clarification from Okuda - but he'd probably have lamented it more clearly if his handiwork never made it to the episode.

It was also unclear whether both of the Nebula study models were used for filming, or just the damaged one.

I think the ambiguity over Challenger especially is a positive thing, since now we don't have to believe in TNG-registered but TOS-shaped ships any more. And I do agree that the burning saucer taken for Rigel might in fact be a Nebula study model. It could also be any of the other ships, now that we have a reason to believe that Galaxy parts were predominantly used in all of them.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

Also, to get the hunt for the two-nacelled ship started:

Perhaps the ship identified as Challenger actually is not a Challenger, nor a Constellation - perhaps this is our Chekov?

In the analyses so far, it has been assumed that the ship is being seen from directly above or below. However, if the ship was actually slightly tilted, then a dorsal/ventral nacelle pair would appear as two side-by-side nacelles as seen, with the engineering hull in between. Furthermore, the oval Galaxy saucer would appear round. In the Challenger analysis, we see the upper left part of the saucer less damaged than the rest, and it appears there is a phaser strip there (a feature not part of the Constellation or Constitution saucers, even though Constellation does have a narrower striplike thing on the outer rim).

Problems with this interpretation include the overtly long nacelles (but perhaps a stretched pair was created, as for New Orleans?) and possible other viewing angles that might disprove the "tilt theory". On a plus side, a tilted ship would explain why one nacelle is so much darker than the other. Of course, there is no real continuity in light angles in the debris field, so nothing definite can be said of shadows.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to suggest something a little wild here. I don't really know squat about all these conjectural designs but here we go:

Apparently, none of these study models that were built for the graveyard scenes are anywhere to be found, nor were they ever very detailed in the first place. From the designs I've seen put forth (the ones that use parts from other ship models) I don't like very many of them. They seem sort of clunky and half thought out.

So, since we've never seen any of them up close or in any detail, couldn't we redraw some of them so that the parts they use simply RESEMBLE parts of other ships? Changing some of the lines, layers and other details would certain fit within my level of comfort for sticking to what has appeared on screen. It would also free us from trying to ID specific parts on screen.

Of course, we still have to match the class with the design. But that's a problem I don't know enough about to get involved with...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Okuda might be confirming what TSN said...the quad-nacelle ship could indeed be another Excelsior study model.

I doubt the ship we've identified as a Rigel is in fact a Nebula...the body is too small, for one. Again, Okuda has said several different things about these ships in the past, so those slides would be helpful, if he still has them somewhere.

Aban: I think we're more interested in determining what the ships really look like than redrawing them, at least right now.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited February 10, 2000).]

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it think it IS the Chekov! If you look at the saucer, the shadow on it makes it appears like the top is curved on the outside like a Galaxy and not the inside like a Constitution. Of course, I'm no lighting expert and I can't really explain it better but it really feels like a Galaxy saucer to me...

BTW, happy to hear there might not be Constitution parts used. The guy who wrote the original description of the ships from the slide-show probably guessed half of it.

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Let the Fates land where they may!
*Megatron - Beast Machines*

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is getting exciting

I have been blowing up some of my pictures of Wolf 359 and Qualor II, and I agree that the quadnacelled ship is DEFINATELY not a Cheyenne - I have found a Cheyenne though - I'll have to post my blown up picture... and what appears to be the underside of the ship - ok I'm thinking here now that 'scaled down galaxy saucers' are the Cheyenne's the Freedom's and the Niagra's - and if we look at the side views from the Fact files there is that wedged block shaped ??deflector?? coming from the bottom of the saucer section - well I think - from speculation, the 'scaled down saucers' the 'Fact Files' and a blown up picture - that the Cheyenne has that block thing on the underneath of the Saucer - everyone just assumes that it is a symmetrical ship, that top equals bottom - I'm guessing it doesn't...and PLEASE PLEASE can someone ask Okuda or Sternbach or who ever to go and fish out the Cheyenne model and look and describe the underneath - I've been obsessing over these little details about the hidden side of the Cheyenne for nearly a week now (oh and not counting the other years)

We've only ever seen the top of the model from the trading card picture.

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Timo
Member # 245

Don't get too excited yet - Okuda simply said no specific model was associated with Challenger class as far as he remembered. That doesn't mean there wasn't a model built that matches the description originally given for Challengers - it just wasn't specifically named Challenger class.

In fact, I would very much like a ship built like that. It would make for a nice stablemate for the Constellations and Mirandas which did serve on during TNG and even DS9. I just hope this ship is not associated with high registry numbers, like the Challenger class is in the Encyclopedia. There should have been plenty of older ships at Wolf 359 if there were older ships in the DS9 and ST:FC battles.

Now, at least the mysterious three-naceller and the burning saucers look contemporary to the Galaxies, and their registries probably reflect that fact. We know Nebula, Springfield, New Orleans and Freedom were specifically built and registered to be Galaxy stablemates (although we don't yet exactly know what Springfield looked like). And we know that plenty of models were built with "Galaxy features" for the episode, so we can assign the remaining ship names with Galaxy era registries to these models when (if) we see better pictures of them. If we are lucky, the number of free-floating names will match the number of free-floating Galaxy-like designs.

Then we can start playing with what's left over. We can be pretty sure that the following classes were never built as models: Apollo, Wambundu, Surak, Korolev, Merced, Renaissance, Chimera... So we can assign these names to the "leftover" Wolf 359 models once we have all the Galaxy-style models accounted for. The Excelsior study models and the possible "Challenger" ship do deserve actual class names; with the remaining wrecks, like the McQuarrie ships, we could do what Aban suggested and redraw them slightly, to account for some truly obscure class names we are not going to encounter ever again (all except Apollo and Renaissance above are good candidates for this treatment...).

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/articles/wolf359/niagara-screen2.jpg

Oh, oh also, in this picture above - could this be the Chekov? maybe the nacelle to the left of the picture is just free floating junk? and that its a scan effect that makes it look like there is a dark pylon connecting it - the next nacelle to the right could be the single top nacelle - and it would be presumably be matched by the nacelle on the bottom?

Is that an excelsior saucer?

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Apollo...if that was indeed the T'Pau in Unification...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say the "Challenger" pretty much has to be the real "Springfield". Looking at the left of the saucer, a small black band is visible. Looking at the back of the saucer, you can make out the Galaxy-style neck.

As for the "Niagara" being the "Challenger", when looking at that picture, it would be nearly impossible for that attached nacelle and a free-floating nacelle to be so perfectly lined up. Also, I believe the left nacelle is smaller then the right nacelle, suggesting it is lower on the hull. Also notice those impulse engines on either side of the central nacelle.

Explanation for "Niagara" Fact-Files picture. The model was painted upside down. Now, this reminds me of the Valkyrie incident, where the ship was accidentally labeled on the wrong side. Now, we assume none of the BoBW models remain, therefore, when the artist drew the design for the Fact Files, he was merely going by hear-say or pictures. Therefore, that may explain the large bulge on the bottom of the Niagara picture as being mistake for what appears to be the bridge on this vertical ship. There may be another bulge on the otherside for the bridge. Now, as for the nacelles, the person merely screwed up. He got 2 on top and 1 on bottom, when it should be 1 on top and 2 on bottom.

Also, the Challenger may not be "assigned to a model", because it might have been one of the now 4 Excelsior Study Models.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited February 10, 2000).]

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts about the ships at Wolf 359-
USS Ahwahnee
A good looking ship that follows in the tradition of the Constellation. I don't believe this ship was visible in the scenes from BOBW 2.
USS Bellerophon
No comments.
USS Bonestell
Was this ship counted as one of the 39? From the visible evidence, this ship was attempting to leave the site of the battle when it was struck and destroyed by the Borg's weapons.
USS Buran
No thoughts about this ship's design. I also don't believe this ship was visible in the episode.
USS Chekov
Mr. Okuda said this ship had a scaled down Galaxy saucer. What could the scale of the saucer and the engineering hull be?
USS Firebrand
Could the neck of this ship be that of a Galaxy Class ship? The known picture of this ship doesn't show much of the neck. If the neck is Galaxy, this could answer the question of the impulse engines.
USS Gage
I don't believe this ship was ever built. In an old issue of Starlog's magazine for Deep Space Nine, and I believe in the novelizaton for "Emissary", the USS Gage was destroyed at the beginning of the battle. The USS Gage may have come from a draft of the script that was never filmed.
USS Kyushu
No comments.
USS Liberator
This ship was probably completely destroyed and left no tangible debris behind.
USS Melbourne
I believe this ship is the burning saucer. The study model of this ship had tiny nacelles behind the saucer. Ship seen in BOBW 2 had tiny nacelles behind the saucer. Secondary hull may have been hidden by saucer.
USS Princeton
I believe this ship to be the "vertical ship". However, I believe that we are seeing the ship's upper side-the "bridge" side. The bulge is common to starfleet ships-Ambassador, New Orleans, etc. The underside of most ships is flat with a central protuding feature in the middle with a few exceptions-Galaxy, for instance. Further, I believe based on the lighting that this ship is designed like the future Enterprise D, only with older components. If the left nacelle was on the underside of the engineering hull, the pylon would not be in shadow.
USS Roosevelt
No comments.
USS Tolstoy
Possibly not visible.

A mystery ship-the USS Cousteau. There is a mention of this ship being at the battle of Wolf 359 in Star Trek Communicator. However, there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of this ship. I merely accept for myself that this ship existed in the Star Trek universe and fought in the battle.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps