Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 4)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

The pylons are marked in the first image. The study model, included for comparison, is at a bit of an angle, so the match isn't perfect, but the only thing I'm really concerned about is the length of the secondary hull (which is still shortened in the model picture because it's tilted).

I'm beginning to suspect that the "Rigel" is indeed the Melbourne. Notice that the Nebula study model has an elongated secondary hull.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited February 11, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is getting too confusing and complicated for me, but I'll try to stick with it.

Anyway, I refuse to believe the ship that pIn'a' Sov posted is the Melbourne. I just don't see how that ship could have floated from below and to the left of the Saratoga all the way to being above and to the right of the Saratoga. And the Saratoga was in the same place because it had been tractored by the Borg.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This ship (lower right corner) is the new ship I sighted yesterday. I believe this may very well be the true Chekov.

I think I can describe the shape of the ship. A Galaxy-style saucer is obviously apparant. In the middle of the "explosion" is long, cylindrical style engineering hull, maybe a Galaxy engineering hull partially covered by the explosion. There appears to be a large pylon aboe the engineering hull, and a Constitution nacelle stuck on backwards. Unfortunatly, I cannot see a bottom nacelle.

Now, lets regroup this.

Ship classes in Aftermath scene:
Challenger - as of now, unidentified
Springfield - assumed to be old "Challenger", or this new ship
Rigel - as of now, unidentified
Niagara - assumed to be vertical ship
Cheyenne - Confirmed
New Orleans - Confirmed

Excelsior variant I - as of now, unidentified
Excelsior variant II - assumed to be the Niagara
Excelsior variant III and IV - as of now, unidentified (I think)
Enterprise II model - Confirmed, but not assigned name

As far as I know, this is where we all stand as of right now with all the evidence presented.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited February 11, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the text from "The Making of DS9." And here's the scene it describes (the escape pods have already moved off-screen).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of off the subject but does anyone think there could have been two Melbournes at the battle. An old about to be decommisioned Excelsior and a new Nebula?

------------------
Attempting to solve the mysteries of starships.

[This message has been edited by Delta Vega (edited February 11, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, they both have the same registry.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, wasn't there a shot with the Excelsior Melbourne that showed a 3184x/3194x registry visible?

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure about the registries but they might have simply kept the same registry with a letter on it (and I know some people think the Enterprise series only gets letters) that might not have been painted on the hull but might be on the dedication plaque. So we could conclude the Nebula class Melbourne was heading out from Utopia Planitia or some other shipyard and the Excelsior one was headed back for decommisiong and they were both ordered to Wolf 359 as there was a need for a fleet to assemble quickly.

------------------
Attempting to solve the mysteries of starships.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Fabrux: Nope; that was completely made up.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Delta Vega
Member # 283

This brings me to another subject. Why would Riker be offered command of the Melbourne if it was going to be decommisioned? He was proabably offered command of the new Nebula Melbourne as I don't think the episode stated directly that he was offered command of an Excelsior (correct me if I'm wrong). This theroy would tie into the 2 Melbourne theroy I posted earlier in this thread. I now await you opinions

------------------
Its a show people!-William Shatner
I know but its a show I like, Mr. Shatner! -Me

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Why is there any reason to believe that the Melbourne was going to be decommissioned? Besides, it's registry is high enough that even I would think it's a new ship.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ship in the lower right of the viewscreen is maybe the Ahwahnee, simply from the fact that it looks kind of brownish, as the trading card pic of the Ahwahnee suggests the model may have been.

And this from Miarecki:

Hello,

I have received many emails on this subject...I have NO photos of these models...And I have very little recollection what they looked like. I did this little job almost 10 years ago...and the only reason I have the names of the ships on my site, is because the ST Art Dept. at Paramount gave them to me...when I built the study models, they did not have names. I really don't know one ship from the other...except for the "Nebula".

I'm extremely busy at this time...and I really don't have time to reasearch this matter, not to mention answering redundant email requests, FROM WHICH I WILL GAIN NOTHING!
Please foward this email to the rest of your group, because I will ignore any further emails about this matter.

ED

Oops. I guess we won't be "bombarding" him, will we?

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, not good. I hope Okuda doesn't get pissed off

Rewatched "Emissary" now, and nothing really new. A few small thigns though

1) The Bonestell apparantly was heading AWAY from the Saratoga when hit. The split second before the explosion, you can see that the engineering hull is longer on the side facing the ship then the side facing away from the ship. It appears the Saratoga was still moving (though still tractored)

2) Some more proof that Admiral Hanson's ship was the Excelsior-class Melbourne. In BoBW, Riker gets word that the fleet has engaged the Borg at Wolf 359. Riker arrives at the bridge, and Hanson's ship looses contact within seconds. Now, in "Emissary", we see the fleet engage the Borg (Locutus on the Saratoga's viewscreen). Now, immediatly after they engage the Borg, the Excelsior class Melbourne's saucer is obliterated. This explains the lost contact with Hanson.

Also, found the dedication plaque of the Saratoga. It's at the very back of the ship, in the middle of a console. No close-up though

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

How many people emailed Miarecki, anyway? Didn't I suggest that we just have one person do so?

------------------
Frank's Home Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Okuda's one of those who's always been really good w/ the fans. I think, as long as we let Timo and whoever else may have been talking to him handle it, we should be alright. Even if people did deluge him w/ mail (but I suggest you don't), I'm pretty sure he'd take it in stride. In fact, he seems even more helpful now than he has in the past.

I think Miarecki's problem was that he did all this stuff a decade ago, and he probably didn't really think of it as anything big (i.e. worthy of committing to memory) at the time. Now, he suddenly has a bunch of people asking him about something he hardly remembers, at a time when he's apparently busy w/ other stuff. He did seem a little rude in his response, but I can understand where he's coming from, so I wouldn't hold it against him.

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps