Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 9)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is easily gonna to become the longest thread that I can remember. Well at least in recent history.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PopMaze: Just how recent are you talking here? The Word Association threads were ~500 posts on 20 pages..

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. A while back in this thread somebody said something about a Cheyenne with a stardrive section and a New Orleans without the highlighter-thingies on it. So, I made these little things up. Enjoy!

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm relatively new here. The longest threads I remember were near 6 pages long. And I don't check all the forums, so I'll bow to your almighty wisdom and condemn myself for my previous post and my ignorance.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabrux, even though those pics are nice, I want to add after having a good squizz at the card pic of the cheyenne - that:

go here as not to clutter up this thread:
http://flare.solareclipse.net/Forum9/HTML/000636.html

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, about the 3-nacelled, maybe-Niagara class ship - I think I had a brainstorm looking at the pic of it on Bernd's site. It looks to me like the saucer top is actually the rear halves of two small Galaxy saucers, mated end to end, one forward, one aft. The neck connection point on the one facing rearward seems to be removed, and the one facing forward is still there, but probably capped off somehow. The secondary hull seems to be very far back under the hull, and maybe the port and starboard nacelles are connected at the FRONT right behind the buzzard collectors. The bridge is quite high up, sitting on top of what used to be the main shuttlebays of both halves (which are connected, creating a rectangular shape). Then, the corners of the halves are removed, creating the "cutouts" in all four corners of the primary hull. All in all, a very cool design. I'm probably wrong on some of these details, given the bad resolution of the picture, but I'd be interested in anyone else's take on this design.
IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[cough] Bussard! [/cough]

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Hmmmm...collecting buzzards in space. Could be interesting.

------------------

Grapeape
Ex-Member

...oops....
Grapeape
Ex-Member

Ok, so my attempt to sound like I knew what the hell I was talking about failed miserably...how about "red glowing thingies" instead?
D-S
Ex-Member

I thought red glowing thingies was the correct term???

Could be right about the saucer, but what are the extra cut out bits?

Frank Bernd : Finally made it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if all the cutouts in the saucer really are part of the ship design. The port bow cutout seems like something Ed Miarecki did deliberately, while the port stern cutout seems like mere battle damage - and the starboard side is so dark it's near-impossible to see the shape of the saucer.

What is odd is the angle of the superstructure below the bridge. It doesn't seem to be aligned with centerline at all - it's not along the center nacelle, nor exactly between the obvious impulse engines, but offset to port from its aft end.

Perhaps this is just an illusion created by lighting: I seem to see two fully lit ovals below the bridge, but perhaps what I take for the starboard edge of the upper oval is just a centerline ridge of some sort, and what I take for the starboard edge of the lower oval is in fact that of the upper oval. Uhh.. Does anybody understand what I'm trying to say? I guess I'm not making it easy...

The oval shapes do not convince me of Galaxy shuttlebay shapes. In fact, they are quite unlike any starship model components I've seen.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we should consider the possibility that Greg Jein (who probably built the ship) made a custom saucer. His other Wolf 359 ship, the Freedom, has no familiar Galaxy parts either.

BTW: I just got sort of a final confirmation that the Galaxy saucer with the small nacelles is actually the Melbourne. Ed Miarecki showed his models to Markus Nee (who builds those famous kitbashes that don't look like kitbashes). Markus told me that the Nebula w/ small nacelles w/o pod was among them, apparently having the same damage as on the screencap. He is 95% sure about it.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Then it's really only two things left to be spotted: the Chekov (once we get a better idea of what she looks like), and possibly one of the McQuarrie models (since they apparently were prepared for shooting yet oddly only one appears, in "Unification"...). And perhaps Jein would have more on the Niagara and the Freedom. After that, we can pretty much call it a wrap, until Mike or somebody else releases actual photographs.

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernd: Did the damage to the Melbourne include the removal of the nacelles and pylons, though?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps