Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Class Info (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Akira Class Info
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently working on my new webpage called Quantum Threshold. I've already got most of my graphics completed. Many animations prepared from the ship classes that I am including (for now). I'm also going to have my own fan-design section for my 'Avalon Fleet'.
Now to the point. I'm wondering if I could get all the canon information that you guys having regarding the Akira Class starship. Dimensions, armaments, etc. I know that the dimensions on this ship are not currently set in stone. But if you could give me your personal opinions on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
--Black Knight

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just to warn you, I'm probably going to be asking about more classes soon.

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask away and like you i am making a new site my self and unforunately there is a lot of information not set in stone such as the no of photon launchers on a Akira Class. Even the official stats contradicts what we see on screen. Have a look at my web site but there are probably a couple of errors there.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Black Knight
Member # 134

Yeah, I know about the 15 torp launchers, and I'm probably going to stick with that one anyways; though, what I'm mainly concerned about is the size. I know several people have pages concerning this. Comparing relative sizes, bridge sizes, and escape pod sizes, etc.
Though I might actually end up doing my own calculations anyway.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank is almost certainly going to try to answer your question. Ignore anything and everything that Frank says regarding ship lengths unless the rest of us say it's okay... :-)

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
340m! Nyah!

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the akira class length was about 460 metres. It seems a bit small if it is 340 metres. I was wondering was the akira class launched in the mid 2360s or the early 2370s?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suspect early 2360s or even late 2350s: the ships have had 64000-range registries while the early 2360s-vintage Galaxies have 71000 range ones.

Probably these ships were built at the same time with the Nebula class, and Galaxy was a "luxury version" created to complement these earlier "workhorse" ships. All these ship types share a certain "look", even if the Akira nacelles differ.

John Eaves says he designed the ship as a shuttlecarrier or through-deck cruiser of sorts. Perhaps it is a successor/replacement for the Steamrunner class, which also seems to feature a through-deck shuttlebay but has lower registries, indicating greater age. Both ships have a configuration where shuttles can launch from the front and then return through large aft bay doors, protected from two sides by the nacelles and from above (Akira) or below (Steamrunner) by "secondary hulls".

Timo Saloniemi

nx001a
Member # 291

So what you are saying is that the Akira and Steamrunner are not new ships at all. Instead the Akira is from the time of the nebula class (mid 2350s to late 2350s). While the steamrunner is about a decade earlier. I always assumed they were new ships developed after 2366. What do other people think about this?

------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Akira is 340m it's smaller than Voyager.

------------------
-Have some coffee, it's good!
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://frankg.dgne.com/sfsd/akiralength.html

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Eaves said in the Magazine/the Fact Files that he wanted Akira to be an older design that would have existed during the run of TNG already. He didn't specify the decade, though. And I haven't heard anything specific on the Steamrunner class, although I'd tend to agree with nx001a's dating.

Timo Saloniemi

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we all know just how exact registries are... even though they are supposed to be chronological (some people disagree though).

The problem is that the design style of the Akira/Steamrunner/Norway/Sabre is very different from what we had seen for old ships. The New Orleans, Cheyenne and Freedom classes whose designs are all canon look a lot like present-day Galaxies. An Elliptical saucer, squared-shaped escape pods and similar nacelles are common to all. They all seem to represent a design style being refined as the years go by.

The ships are all quite slick, with for the most part an engineering hull, rectangular engines with the warp exaust grill on the side running all the way to the back. They have a neck with a saucer which all look similar, with a round top with the bridge in the middle.

When you consider however that the Akira and the Steamrunner are supposed to be 20 years old, and that the Sabre and Norway aren't all that new either, and that they don't look like regular Starfleet Ships from the past, there's something that doesn't seem right.

The Akira and Steamrunner have the design style of the Sovereign. These alleged "old ships" have very different nacelles which are at an angle, triangular escape pods, a different deflector design, no shield grid on the hull, etc. They look like they're fresh out of the shipyard.

When you add in the Norway and the Sabre, all four ships have a saucer which is not round (well, the Akira is, but it has a bottom extension with the deflector and two connecting dorsal on top so it kind of ruins it).

Don't get me wrong, I like the new ships (except the Steamrunner. I thought the sketch in the book about the art of STG and STFC was in some way better. Heck, all the sketches of the STFC ships in that book look a lot like standard Starfleet design. Their engines had the grill on the sides like a Galaxy.) but we have to somehow rationalize their age.

Ok, my theory is that there always were a single major design group assigned to the ASDB. It would be divided in little teams working on separate ship assignment but each would carry the "design esthetics" of the group so most ships from the same era (like the Constitution) would look very similar. Their philosophy was probably "If it ain't broke, use it!"

Around the 2340's, an outside group began issuing new design ideas and was incorporated into the ASDB for it's innovative thinking. That group, instead of going for conservatism, prefered to try new ideas and hull configurations to move beyond what had been done until now and build more efficient ships. The old team didn't like the competition, so both team worked separatly, litteraly fighting for each ship contract and each one would carry on it's own design style.

Starfleet liked their idea, but since they were basically experimenting at the time, they prefered to issue their more important contracts (Galaxy, Nebula) to the old team. Less important contract were granted to the new guys (Steamrunner, Akira, Sabre, Norway, basically all the weird ones ). Of course, over time, their work proved superior so the contract for the Sovereign was awarded to them (and since that seems to be the current design trend, we can assume the old team either disbanded or was incorporated in the new one). The End.

Whew! Alright everyone, I want feedback!

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Let the Fates land where they may!
*Megatron - Beast Machines*

[This message has been edited by TerraZ (edited February 10, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can say is that they made the right choice both in fresh new designs and lower numbers.

It shows that Starfleet is using different designs for quite a while, and I think it is better that we didn't had a NCC-7xxxx only club in the Sector 001 battle.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Akira-class...

Where does the USS Rabin and NCC-63646 come from? What episode and what did they do?

------------------
"...and if frogs could fly; well we'd still have this problem, but wouldn't it be cool?" - Drew Carey
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.