Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Class Info (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Akira Class Info
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rabin and NCC-63646 are from the Fact Files... Supposedly the Rabin was the Akira in "MiaB", IIRC

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody!
Good idea, TerraZ.
And John Eaves didn't design the Akira, it was Alex Jaegar.

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly NCC-63646 was fighting the Borg in First Contact. It could also be people mistakenly mixing up the Thunderchild's number with this one.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which Akira Class names and registry numbers are given by Star Trek sources (any kind of source: books, fact files, etc.) upto now??

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sees Frank's URL*

The Akira should be 440m (intended length): http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/articles/akira-size.htm

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pretty much agree with Bernd on the length. I believe the intended length was 1400', which is 427m. That gives a deck height of slightly more than 3m.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so if the Akira in "Message in a Bottle" was the Rabin, then where did the Spector come from?

------------------
"...and if frogs could fly; well we'd still have this problem, but wouldn't it be cool?" - Drew Carey
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Akira were that big, it would have a huge bridge, and the Galaxy would be 900m long.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nx001a: What do you mean the official stats contradict the onscreen evidence of the Akira's torp-launchers?
And what evidence DOES support 15 launchers?

------------------
-Have some coffee, it's good!
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What i was saying is that the official ds9 tech manual says there is only 2 photon tubes. However, the designer of the Akira Class states it has 15 photon tubes. I have not seen it but some people say in ST:FC the you can see 15 launch tubes. I think 15 is a lot and at present i have not decided whether to have 2 or 15 tubes. Also i disagree with the size of the Akira. I think it is 460 m not 360 since it will be too small.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On his page, Bernd says:

"Unless the ship is shown at a really small size next to a ship whose size is definitely known, I will stick to the 440m Akira."

Look at the first comparison on my page.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Length of Akira Class Nebula Class?

------------------
For all you Fighting needs
http://www.fighters.net

[This message has been edited by Brown_supahero (edited February 11, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, the VFX say that the Akira is much smaller than a Nebula.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: I would hardly call the VFX conclusive. You've used comparisons where a distant Akira amongst a fleet of ships is measured against another "nearby" ship ("Call to Arms" and "Favor the Bold"). And with the Akira-Defiant comparisons (from "MiaB"), the Defiant could just as easily be scaled at 560' than 120m.

And why does the Akira bridge have to be massive at 430m? After all, the CGI doesn't clearly reveal the extent of the actual bridge. Anyway, look at the spacing of the windows - the decks would be tiny at 340m.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

If we can't use the VFX for scaling, I don't see why anyone cares about the sizes of the ships.

When has the Defiant ever been conclusively 170m on-screen?

Even looking at the CGI model, the bridge would be larger than a Galaxy's or Sovereigns.

The decks seem fine to me...of course, everyone always talks about mono-species ships, so maybe all Akiras are populated by slugs or something.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.