Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Danube Class maximum warp speed? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Danube Class maximum warp speed?
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After watching ds9 for the last 7 years i was wondering do we know how fast a runabout is?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warp 4.7 was the original writers' manual suggestion.

In "Dax", a speed below warp 5 is supported: Sisko asks Kira to see which ships the kidnappers of Dax could be using, and Kira lists those capable of warp 5, supposedly because these can outrun the pursuit Sisko could give in a runabout. After all, Sisko has no other ships in his possession at that time. And confiscating a civilian ship would probably not help in retrieving Dax, since only the runabouts would be armed.

The only other tidbit on runabout speeds I know of comes from "Jem'Hadar"; after disabling the runabout's autopilot, Jake Sisko tells the craft to fly back to the wormhole at warp eight. He *might* know what he is talking about, since he's been taking lessons from O'Brien (enough to know how to disable the autopilot, anyway). Then again, he's probably just ignorant of the true maximum speed of the craft.

Then there are various travel time & distance calculations, but those almost never make any sense. For example "Whispers" suggests O'Brien can reach a Gamma star system in way less than an hour, even though supposedly Irdan would be the closest system at some five lightyears, according to "Emissary". So either the runabouts can easily outfly a Galaxy or an Intrepid - or then Irdan really isn't the closest system (perhaps it was the closest the computer could recognize in "Emissary") and the target system was less than a lightyear from the wormhole.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought a runabout had a maximum warp speed of about warp 8?? I remember that they have mentioned warp 8 several times on a runabout...

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 6th season TNG ep where Picard and friends come back in a Runabout to find the E-D frozen in time with a Warbird, I though I heard say "increase to warp 9" but my memory's a blur (damn, I used to remember the name of pratically every TNG ep)

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Let the Fates land where they may!
*Megatron - Beast Machines*

IP: Logged
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Picard ordered such a velocity in "Timescape". He may have simply demanded "maximun warp".

I think the Warp 4.7 is consistent with the function of runabouts as medium-range support craft, rather than long-range transports or scouts.

------------------
"You don't need eyes to see; you need VISION"
- Faithless / Reverence

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*D'Oh*

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited February 10, 2000).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course shuttles can go to Warp 10!

And how about that Shuttle Scotty was given - we don't know wether it had a Warp Drive! he might be STILL in that Star System...

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake and Nog tried to get the computer to take the runabout to warp 8 in "The Jem'Hadar", but they may not have known what the maximum warp was (although Jake was studying with O'Brien at the time, and you'd imagine he'd know their maximum warp...).
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the original sketches for the Runabouts by Rick Sternbach says its maximum speed is warp 4.7. It seems good to me.

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would people use runabouts to go from DS9 to Earth if it goes only as slow as warp 4.7??

Warp 4.7 is 101,6 times the speed of light (according to my warp speed calculator).
Warp 8 is 1024 times the speed of light, that is a factor of 10 faster.

And another thing: I know many of you don't like 'Threshold', but Paris started the transwarp drive when the shuttle was at about warp 9 (about 1500 times the speed of light).

I'm sorry, but ifs a shuttle can reach warp 9, I'm sticking with warp 8 for a runabout.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have people really traveled between DS9 and Earth in a runabout?

I remember Dr Bashir in "Defiant" trying to ask for a runabout from Kira so that he could get something from Vulcan - and the supposed travel time mentioned by Bashir was only a week! But in absence of other evidence, the runabout might only have been needed for a trip to SB375 or something, with a faster large starship going from there to Vulcan on a regular run at warp 8+.

In other cases, runabouts were not used for intra-Federation traffic all that much. The Defiant was the chosen mode of travel when available (to the chargin of those who felt the ship was needed to defend Bajor or the station). I cannot remember a single reference to an actual Bajor-Earth run by a runabout.

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Sisko took a runabout from DS9 to Earth at the end of "Tears of the Prophets". Later (in "Shadows and Symbols") he used the same runabout to find the Orb of the Emissary and return to the station.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Timo
Member # 245

Oops! Nicely spotted.

Of course, one could argue that the craft still puttered along at warp 4.7, since Sisko and pals had the whole three months of the between-seasons hiatus to spend on the little trips... Or that Sisko actually hitchhiked on bigger ships, using the runabout only for the "walk to the bus stop" or "ride to the airport" part.

Timo Saloniemi

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Therefore we can say that the danube class warp speeds are:

normal cruising speed warp 3
maximum cruising speed warp 4
maximum speed about warp 4.8 - 5 for 12 hours

Not very fast but consistent with the show. Is the yellowstone class runabout the same then?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about the one seen in the VGR episode 'Non Sequitor'(sp?) designed by Harry Kim? If thats the case, that runabout never existed. So your question is sort of moot.

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps