Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » workbee from Relativity

Author Topic: workbee from Relativity
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK the Workbee from utopia planitia - that is infront of Voyager - is this similar to the spacedock work bee from 11001001 - it looks similar - and it doesn't look similar to the TMP/DS9 workbee...

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same basic cabin, just like the one we see flying in the opening credits of DS9. But the cabin can carry at least three types of attachments:

-the cargo train (seen in TMP/STII, Generations)
-a pair of cylindrar grabber arms (seen in TMP/STII only AFAIK)
-a pair of angular grabber arms with two ventral "flippers"

The latter grabber configuration was originally designed for TMP by Andy Probert, but dropped in favor of the cylindrar version (Shane Johnson's "Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" shows the original sketches). Apparently, somebody finished Probert's work later on. Perhaps he himself did for "11001001"? I have never seen a clear picture of the workbee in that episode, but from smudgy screencaps, I'd be ready to believe the 'bee had the angular waldoes mounted.

One could say that the angular, flippered waldo system is the 24th century version of the cylindrar 23th century device...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting - thanks Timo - I know SOMEWHERE around there is a photograph of the model of the little ship from 11001001... it could be from that japanese mag which has that picture of the New Orleans class hanging from someone's ceiling.

and rememember don't waldo your flipper

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.