Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Constellation Class Ships in the Dominion War and Class 2 Shuttlecrafts

Author Topic: Constellation Class Ships in the Dominion War and Class 2 Shuttlecrafts
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I was at the bookstore tonight and I browsed through the Star Trek Encyclopedia, version 3. When an entry is a continuation of an entry in version 2, there is a asterisk with the new entry. For example, the Akagi is in version 2 and in version 3 is marked with an asterisk.
Okay, I located the USS Constellation, the USS Gettysburg, and the USS Magellan. All three have asterisks. In version 2, all three ships are Constellations. In other words, Mr. Okuda is saying that Constellation Class ships fought in the Dominion War.
Then I looked up Class 2 shuttlecrafts. My interpretation of the writing is this-Class 2 shuttlecrafts are a family of shuttlecraft with small cabins and few amenties. Types within this family are 6, 8, and 9.
For those ignorant in history, the RMS Titantic lost 1500 plus lives, not 1200 as stated in the encyclopedia. (Poor Mr. Crieghton-he identifies the RMS Titantic as a spaceship of the White Star Class commanded by Capt Smith. I hope none of you make the same mistake.)
And I believe I may spotted a correction. If I am wrong, please let me know. In version 2, the dedication plate for Ent B gives the stardate as 9715. In version 3, the dedication plate gives the stardate as 9715.5.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if Mirandas fought in the war, why not Constellations? And the Ent B plaque corrections just now gives what hour (noon because of the .5) it was commisioned, instead of just the day.

------------------
"You're right. They wouldn't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them."
-B'Ellana Torres, Virtuoso

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The number behind the dot in a stardate is not the time of the day...

But about the topic: I too think that it makes much sence to use the Constellation Class in the Dominion War. My only question is: Why didn't we see them on screen?? Is the model broken like the Ambassador model?

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked back at where I got the time of day/stardate thing and I see now how unreliable it was.

------------------
"You're right. They wouldn't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them."
-B'Ellana Torres, Virtuoso

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard anything to suggest that the Constellation model is anything but perfectly functional. I just think they decided to stop using it.

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More importantly, it's a physical model and not a computer generated one.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So??

They used physical and computer models in the same shot before dozens of times.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but physical models can get more expenisive then CGI ones in spave battle scenes that have lots of ships. In some ST:Magazine issue, they were talking about the special FX in sacrafice of angels. The FX company made their own new CGI models for the scenes. They just picked the ships we have seen most often (galaxy, miranda, excelisor, akira, steamrunner, and saber; klingon vorch'a class and bird of prey; cardassian galor and hedieki (sp?); and jem'hadar battlecruiser and attackship) and made CGI models of those to use in the battle scenes.

------------------
Obviously you refuse to cooperate with me. Obviously you have no discipline to kepp the mouth shut. Obviously you don't. Let's try it that way, then you might get the hint. How many more minutes are we going to waste asking you not to talk? How many more!?!

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the interpretation of a shuttlecraft "class" being a generic term, while a "type" is a specific model. This would also explain why everyone seems to know Class-2 shuttles from their Academy days, although the Type-9 should be fairly new and especially designed to look like the Intrepid class.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it does Bernd, Type-9's have the same impulse engines as Voyager.

------------------
"The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusment park" - Torres
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps