Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Phaser Rifles (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Phaser Rifles
Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were three types of phaser rifles seen in First Contact.
They were:
Type 3a rifle (long black end, also seen in Insurrection)
Type 3b rifle (similar to 3a, but with short, blunt end)
EVA rifle (used by Picard and co. on the outside of the Enterprise)

I have good schematics of the 3b, but can anyone tell me where I can find decent schematics of the 3a and the Eva rifles?

P.S.
I'm so glad they came up with new rifles. The Next Generation and Voyager ones are so ugly!!!

------------------------
It is offensive. Fortunately, taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

------------------

bonecrusher
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I dont know of any schematics of them anyway, i have something to fuss about, ok, the 3 rifles u mentioned didnt premire until First Contact, anyway then how in the hell did Voyager get them when first contact happened after they were lost in the delta quadrant??? Oh and dont tell me they were brand new technology going along with the ship. They had there own Rifles in Caretaker, the "compression rifles", oh even DS9 didnt get the FC rifles until well after the event they still used the old, but modified rifles from the TNG series!

------------------
"I Got two words for you.. S*uck it!"-DeGeneration X
Oh Hell Ya there back!

Bonecrusher
http://members.xoom.com/smartiee

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When have they used rifles that weren't the compression phaser variety on Voyager...? That eludes me at the moment...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Macrocosm" comes to mind...

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also "The Raven"...
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet they used the compression phaser rifles in "Message in a Bottle". These people confuse me.
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also a variant of the blocky 'blunt-ended' one that looks like that it wasn't finished.

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you know what, it's not just phaser rifles!
Voyager uses the new tricorders that were intorduced for DS9 as well. Remember that when Voyager started, they were still using TNG tricorders.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah thats true, how have they updated all there systems when they are stranded in the Delta Quadrant?! Another point against Voyager's continuety.

------------------
Klingons never do anything small, eh Worf? -Commander Riker,
Star Trek: Insurrection

http://www.huntel.net/massa/StarTrek/index.html

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to ignore tech problems like the one's mentioned here so as not to drive myself crazy. I'd say that the designs were in the computer banks awaiting an implementation date or that the designs were transmitted to Voy as part of the coded message they received. Course, that doesn't explain why the new uniform were not transmitted as well...

As far as the phaser rifles go, just because we never saw them before FC, doesn't mean they weren't around before FC...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited February 14, 2000).]

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just looking for side views of the phaser rifles. Like the ones seen in The Star Trek Magazine. Does anyone have any scans? They would really be alot of help to me.
As for the new rifles being on Voyager, one could say that the replicators were programmed to dispense new designs when the issue time came. That would explain the tricorders and phasers, but not the uniforms, which Voyager still has not received yet. I hope Voyager learns about the new uniforms soon so they can change out of the ugly ones in use now! I was so peeved when the Doctor went to the Alpha Quadrant in "MiaB" and didn't tell Janeway that the uniforms were updated when he got back. I really think the Voyager crew would look great in the new uniforms.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

I like Voyager having its own uniforms (ones I like better, as they fit Starfleet's mission more, IMO). Then it doesn't just look like they have DS9's (one of the reasons DS9 switched to the First Contact ones, IIRC).
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the new phasers on voyager. Assume that type 3a phasers were not used at the time of the caretaker and that starfleet sent a schematic of the phaser. Would it not take a long effort and replicator power to relicate these new phasers or one could just assume they had a prototype on board.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The phasers are actually disguised Changelings. Probably the same ones who posed as uniforms during Generations...

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What if the rifles actually *are* capable of changing shape? In "First Contact", just about everybody save for Worf starts with angular-muzzle rifles, and by the time they engage the Borg, everybody has a smooth cylinder-muzzle rifle. Perhaps the angular casings slip over the cylindrar muzzles, but have a tendency to overheat or break off, which is why users tend to rip them out of the way when the quartermaster isn't looking?

Have we ever even seen anyone actually firing the blunt-nosed version? Perhaps the angular thing is a muzzle guard that HAS to be removed before going to combat, revealing the black cylinder!

In any case, the DS9 Tech Manual apparently speaks of the Voyager compression rifle when saying "type-3a" (the "split resonator head", the "only available in certain frontline starships" thing, etc.), while both the blunt-nosed and cylinder-head ST:FC rifles are collectively known as type-3b.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps