Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Cheyenne - was Wolf 359

Author Topic: Cheyenne - was Wolf 359
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. detail on the ventral side of this ship is about 0% known.

2. from that blurry enlargement I made and posted in a thread here - I believe that the bottom and top nacelle /GC necks... are the same top and bottom...

3. on the necks there is only 4 or so windows - a few (3) to the forward of the neck and two to the aft of the neck. These windows are the size of the windows on the Enterprise D. Plus there is an escape pod in the middle of the neck (presumably mirrored on the other side). The escape pods though seem to be about %50 larger than GC standard.

The bridge and Deck one appear to be Galaxy-standard

The Windows on deck 4 appear to be %50 longer than Galaxy Standard - similar to Windows on the ventral side of a GC's saucer. Windows on Deck 2 appear to be GC-standard for dorsal saucers. and IC saucers.

4. the saucer has no shuttle bay it has a GC "bottom" - ventral hull - shape.

5.The ventral saucer hull stops at deck 5 with its 'side' being part of the width of the 'rim' of the ship.

There appears to be an extra deck added between deck 5 and the lip of the ventral (the underneath part) saucer section... making at least 7 decks of the saucer section observed.

The 'bridge' module looks like 2 decks but as per GC's it is the bridge plus surrounding rooms as a complete deck 1.

Deck 1: Bridge, Bridge module systems, Observation lounge, Crew's head (bridge) Captain's ready room, with amenities. Emergency Battle bridge acces turboshaft + access to Obs lounge and rest of Deck 1+ Two main turboshafts.

Deck 2: Two larger sized GC era escape pods. a ring of GC dorsal windows. GC standard size.

Deck 3: a set of nine GC ventral saucer standard 'cut out' windows. 2 Transporter emitters. 4 +size escape pods. Dorsal, Saucer phaser strip array. Central, forward facing 'windows' similar to the auxillary deflector emitters on the ventral saucer section of a Galaxy or Nebula class ship... maybe the only such device on the Cheyenne class - or maybe mirrored underneath.

Deck 4: 4 +size escape pods, 22 larger ventral saucer type windows.

Deck 5: 20 +size escape pods. no curved 'ceiling' its flat for this deck. squared lip to the saucer... two aft impulse engines on either side of saucer - wedges for both engines cut into saucer. 2 transporter emitters on 'engineering section' but level with deck 5.

Deck 6: between 5 and seven. a yellow ??sensor strip?? at 12, 3 and 9 o'clock there appears to be a disruption in the 'sensor strip'. unknown function. Could be launcers, airlocks or even windows. (similar albeit larger features on the "Constellation Class" starships. May also be type of deflector/communications array.

Deck 7: - barely seen - appears to be (the edge of it anyway) similar to Deck 5 above.

Engineering Section:

EngDeck 5: two Transporter emitters (previously mentioned) forward on port and starboard.

EngDeck 6: - unseen but appears to drop vertically down - for a least 1 deck - next to the saucer impulse engines - it is speculated that the main shuttle bay is located here centered but aft to the saucer/rest of ship)

EngDeck 4: a set of three GC dorsal saucer windows - standard size - at the forward part of the 'neck' A large +size escape pod (assumed mirrored on port) to the aft of the escape pod are again GC dorsal saucer windows - two of them.

EngDeck 3: a 'ovoid' impression in the hull similiar to where the 'docking port'/airlock is on the Galaxy Class neck - on the same deck as the torpedo launcher. Forward facing Torpedo launcer - similar square shape to Galaxy class...

Eng Above Deck 3: - connection of nacelle curved pylons - rounded structure with starfleet logo painted on.

Assumed that below deck 8 on the bottom part of the saucer the nacelle pylons attach the same... unknown what lies beyond - maybe either a stardrive section similar to Galaxy/Nebula/New Orleans - or a structure similar to the rounded structure on the top of the Cheyenne...

Top nacelles = bottom nacelle shape.

nacelle pylons connect beneath the top nacelles and on top of the lower nacelles.

nacelles are 'higher' than rounded structure. if seen side on.

Nacelles are have a larger length:width ratio than Galaxy, Nebula and Intrepid class ships.

Nacelle grills face to the sides like the Galaxy class - but unlike the Sovereign class. The bussard collectors have a smaller surface aread compared to Galaxy or Nebula class ships - more like the Ambassador Refit or the newer Intrepid class bussard collectors.

The Magnetic field coils are quite, quite large. compared to MOST ships. This maybe a result of the unusual warpfield geometry of such a relatively small Galaxy class style ship in combination with 4 nacelles.

The lower pair of nacelles seem to rise up to just parallel with the lower half of the saucer section - or the top of the lower nacelles is about the same level as the top of Deck 7.

Andrew

side note - this isn't the same type of saucer as the Freedom class... - so what is the typical appearance of a 'scaled down galaxy saucer' the cheyenne saucer or the incognito Freedom saucer, with deflector at the forward part of the ventral saucer and the moderately sized shuttle bay, behind the bridge?

Andrew

------------------

"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent
vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian
Huygens,New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their
Inhabitants and Productions
(ca 1670)

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited February 17, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you could say that a "scaled down Galaxy Saucer" is seen on the New Orleans and Freedom Classes, thought these two ships probably don't have the same size saucers. The the only thing on the Cheyenne class that might be considered the same as the Galaxy is the Bridge module, though I doubt this class has a battle bridge. The area containing the emergency turbo in a Galaxy bridge is probably somthing else on a Cheyenne bridge.

I would suggest that there is probably some sort of deflector assembly (possibly resembling a Galaxy's) underneath the saucer. Otherwise, since the top of the Cheyenne's saucer is actually the underside of a Galaxy model, the Aux Deflector of the Galaxy (which is located on the underside of it's saucer) could serve as the main deflector of the Cheyenne.

All, that being said, I personally have never liked this ship and have only recently accepted it as cannon (because of course, mine is the only opinion that counts ). I think the ship would looka heck of alot better if the top set of nacelles were replaced with an Akira style sensor or weapons pod and the nacelles were worked out a little more. Just MHO, o' course.
------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited February 17, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to contradict Andrew, I'd like to suggest another interpretation of this li'l baby.

Perhaps there are only six decks in the saucer, total? If we take the 50% larger windows and pods as standard Galaxy ones, and assume that the smaller windows are simply small portholes in the ceilings of Deck 2 cabins (like in Data's quarters on the Galaxy Deck 2), and furthermore take the bridge to be the whole oval instead of just the tiny bump corresponding to the Galaxy bridge... Then we get a saucer half the size, with the following decks:

Deck 1: The bridge, without any amenities like observation lounges - the tiny "windows" are just sensors similar to the tiny blue squares that surround Galaxy or Intrepid bridges. The turboshaft endcaps aren't turboshaft endcaps.

Deck 2: everything inside the phaser strip. All windows are ceiling windows, basically. Transporter antennas would be really tiny, Danube-sized.

Deck 3: the full-sized windows and accompanying escape pods. Officer and crew accommodation and the like.

Deck 4: the rim, with no windows but plenty of lifepods. A utility deck with no luxury accommodations. Transporter rooms, sickbay and computer core in the middle, the usual stuff.

Deck 5: mirrors deck 3, perhaps with fewer windows as is traditional for the ventral sides of saucers.

Deck 6: mirrors deck 2, but with fewer windows (floors are awkward places for them).

Deck 7: no such thing, unless there is some sort of lower sensor array or captain's gig or something.

Engineering section: one windowless double-height hangar deck with symmetrical windowed upper and lower decks. No torpedo launchers. The upper and similar lower bulge would house fuel tanks, while warp core would run vertically between them. Hangar deck would have two smallish side-by-side shuttlebays, big enough for a single utility shuttle or two shuttlepods.

This tiny vessel would be only about 180-190m long. The oddly thick-looking phaser strip would in fact be thinner than normal Galaxy strips. The corvette-like vessel would visit deep space extremely seldom, explaining its absence from TNG and DS9. The small size would also explain why Galaxy engines were not imitated here - despite the scaled-down versions we saw on the New Orleans, there's only so much scaling-down one can do with a given shape.

In any case, I doubt any of the kitbashed "mini-Galaxies" share a common saucer design. The barest shadow of a phaser strip on the possible Challenger isn't placed similarly to the one here, but closer to the rim. And the possible Niagara three-naceller on the foreground has another saucer shape entirely.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iteresting Timo - oh and yes feel FREE to contradict me - it makes these threads more interesting...

Anyway - I like the idea of it seldom visiting the edges of known space - that idea fits in with Sternbach's defiant pathfinder... allowing it to achieve higher speeds for longer by using only two nacelles at once!?!

Andrew

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion: Since the bridge module looks exactly the same as that of the Galaxy, it should have two decks. This would give us another two decks in the saucer top, one in the rim and two in the bottom, assuming there is no captains yacht but only a sensor module. This is what I based my size estimation of 380m on. The only problem is that the other decks would be quite tall - perhaps more than 4m.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

On a Galaxy that 'module' is all deck one - deck two is the 'ceiling' windows - that are Data, Worf and Geordi's quarters.

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's all considered deck 1, but its actual height is about a deck and a half.

And, if the entire "egg" were the bridge, why would it have a little design on the top that just happens to look exactly like a regular bridge? I like to think that the bridge and egg are exactly as on a GCS. This also gives us the size of the rest of the GCS components. The models they used were in a 5:9 ratio, so we know that the other parts are five-ninths what they are on a regular GCS (assuming, as I said, that the bridge is 100% GCS size).

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "egg" is actually two complete decks, including the main bridge, ready room, observation lounge on deck one and several auxiliary rooms as well as the mentioned quarters on deck two. Since the Cheyenne module looks the same, I assume it is the same.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er... I'm pretty sure the E-D's deck 2 is the one just under the egg...

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.