Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Airlock location buggers

Author Topic: Airlock location buggers
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What bug's me a lot is when on a ship class, there are no airlocks to be seen. Where are they on the Nebula? Logic suggests on the saucer rim, but they're not there. Same for the Galaxy saucer. On the Defiant, it's in the warhead, but what if that had been separated? There's no airlock on the main body. My favorite is the Excelsior. No airlock to be seen either. Same with the Ambassador, Constellation, any Excelsior kitbash class, all the First Contact ships, the Sydney. I could go on, but I think you get my point. How do people get off the ship other than the transporters and the shuttles?

Also on some ships, there are no warp core and/or antimatter pod ejection ports? And what about ships that have nacelles that hang from the bottom of the engineering hull. The path for ejecting the core and/or pods is blocked. If they can't eject them, then they can go kabloom very easy. These ships have got to be better designed.

What do you think? Comments and opinion welcomed.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...the Galaxy quite clearly has an airlock. Several, in fact. I'm sure the Nebula has all of them. (Well, minus the two on the connecting dorsal, perhaps.) As far as I know, the Excelsior has a main gangway hatch, just like the refit Enterprise and E-A. Same for most of the others.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't see the airlocks on the Nebula Class since they are covered. Let me quote something from the TNG Tech Manual...

"A number of personel airlocks are located in the sensor strip bays for this purpose." Since everyone is saying that the Galaxy and the Nebula are made from similar components, this would explain the missing airlocks

It's on page 115 and speaking of the other ships, the Akira Class has an airlock. There's the airlock at Deck 1.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-Quote from Dedication Plaque of USS Vanderbilt

[This message has been edited by Michael_T (edited February 18, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not all that worried about airlocks, since those would be easy to cover by aesthetically pleasing panels. The TOS ship must have had plenty of airlocks, torp tube muzzles and other such features that nevertheless are invisible on the model - the only solution I can think of involves cover panels that are either intended to protect against FOD or enemy fire, or used just for aesthetics.

I'm more worried about ships that lack ramscoops or navigational deflectors. Thankfully, it seems that such ships were mostly built in the TOS movie era - most TNG and DS9 era ships seem to have all the required gear.

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that bothers me about the Nebula-class is how the saucer's ventral phaser array is partially blocked by the nacelles. How do they avoid blasting their own nacelles?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easily: the starboard side of the strip fires port, and vice versa!

Frankly, the Nebula has a great many problems with obstruction of vital components. The main shuttlebay doors open straight into the dorsal pod pylon in most Nebulas. The impulse engines are so obscured that they cannot even be seen! And there are many windows with a splendid view of the broad inside of the engine pylon...

Timo Saloniemi

D-S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
List of visible docking ports on ships. from pics I have

Akira

Can only see 1 behind the bridge on the design sketches
There are 2 things on the dorsal surface of the saucer which look to be Runabout launch pads

Constitution Refit

1 behind bridge
small lifts to top of sacer as in ST - TMP
1 either side of saucer
1 either side of torp launcher
1 either side of eng-hull

Ecxelsior

?? square openings on front of neck ??

Defiant

front of deflector

Intrepid

1 port to either side of saucer and 1 to the front

Sydney

If the bridge is the same as a Constitution's then at least 1 behind bridge

Miranda and Varients

Bridge port
1 either side of saucer

Galaxy

4 lift pass throughs on the bridge
2 Extendable docking port/elevators on deck 2
2 Extendable docking port/elevators on deck 17
1 docking port either side of neck on deck 25

Nebula

Would presume the same as the Galaxy although I can't see any cargo lift exit ports.

Timo: I think the Nebula's impulse engine is on the neck that holds the pod, think another shuttle bay is there also

If you think the Nebula's windows are crap what the Defiant's. Great view of the underside and the windows opposite.

Prometheus

Can't see any when the ship is joined but there are plenty of lift pass throughs when seperated

Thats all I have for now, Couldn't find any on the Ambassador, Olympic, Sovereign,Constellation or Oberth.

What I want to know is how do you get on board a D'deridex and where are its shuttlebays if any??

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting a little off topic, the squares on the front of the neck on the Excelsior are not airlocks, but weapons instead, perhaps phaser canons. The Nebula's impulse engines on a bar that stuck between the saucer and the necelle pylons, though most of the time they're not lit.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PopMaze: The function of those things on the Excelsior neck have never really been revealed. I agree with you on the location of the Nebula impulse engines though.

D-S: The Sovereign-class has 3 docking ports on deck 3.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those features on the Excelsior look like sensors to me.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're docking ports, they're torp launchers, they're sensors, they're airlocks, and they make julienne fries!

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so let's say that most ships cover their docking ports, much like why the Defiant Class has coverings for it's escape pods and sensors, to prevent damage.

Now, I would think that the above would also apply for anti-matter ejections ports and warp core ports.

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Sovereign, I believe that there are three. One dirctly behind the bridge at the end of that big section that the bridge is on, and one on each side of it.
Timo
Member # 245

Some random remarks:

The Excelsior thingamabobs look quite similar to the Defiant "targeting sensors" in the DS9 TM cutout. Of course they also look vaguely like twin torp tubes, but as said, those would cause a saucer separation if fired! Perhaps such sensors need to be exposed directly to space, which is why they are under the (probably movable) covers on the Defiant. Of course, if we accept the q-torp tubes as being in place of these sensors, the point is moot.

Only the early Nebula models have those small impulse grilles between the saucer and the nacelle pylon horizontal parts. The recent CGI Nebulas omit these altogether. One could say the grilles have been moved deeper into the crevice between the horizontal pylon and the saucer - a sort of stealth measure.

The Constitutions do not have docking ports on the saucer. They do have a square "Gangway hatch" but on port side only. Earlier Phase II ships did have more of the docking ports. The Sydney bridge seems to omit the Constitution docking port (it's a bit on the squat side).

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

I already wrote that, Shipmaster.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps