Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me, but I was the person who posted the pictures that show that thing with the nacelles highlighted in red. At first, I thought it may have been a freighter or some sort, but I have since had to rescend that conclusion. All we have here is trapezoidal prism with two rectangluar prongs and a dome. And those can only be somewhat clearly seen in the Art of Star Trek picture. I think that it is a docked module for spacedock traffic control (as I have guessed earlier) or a sublight trash hauler (as I have guessed earlier).

For my next point, I suggest that you calm down. No one here can definitely say whether that thing is a ship or not. No one here worked with ILM and helped produce that scene. Therefore, all of your "IT IS A SHIP YOU FOOLS!" is merely opinion, not fact. If someone who did that scene comes here and posts that, yes, it was a ship then by all means you can gloat. Until then, you have no more claim to being right that I have to proclaiming myself president of the USA. So drop the condescending attitudes and the insults.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now now ladies, lets not resort to petty arguments just because people disagree with you.
If is helps at all, here is a quick, basic rendering based on this dark blocky object, I think that it is a vessel of some description, obviously it has an industrial look to it so it could be anything from a neutronic fuel carrier to a tiberian garbage scow.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree with The Mighty Monkey of Mim, its quite obviously a ship, it was added to the shot of the Starbase interior, as was the shuttles, Ent and Excelsior. I am looking at visual effects and cg all the time, its fairly easy to tell.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see a ship because you WANT to see a ship. You want your name blazed across the electonic frontier as a pioneer. But wanting does not always make it so. This I know well.

I do not deny that it COULD be a ship. But there's no definitive proof. For all we know, it could've been Ease Owyeung's lunchbox. You cannot discount a possibility simply because you don't wish to believe it. Herein lies the differences of your camp (Fanboy Trouser-Jizzing)& our camp. (Rational Logical Thought)

I'm sure many of us would like to believe that the image portrayed is indeed some sort of civilian or support vessel. I know I'd love for it to be that. But I won't instantly deify it as such based on some undefinable imagery. The gamma-corrected shot proved only one thing: that the item in question was not not a part of the Spacedock hub. (I'll put aside the thoughts of possible aftermarket alteration for now) This new image still leaves the item in question as somes big, blackish, & oblong. There's really no definition to it. It's like looking at clouds--where you see a H&K MP5, I see a bunny rabbit.

In conclusion, we are not saying, "It's not a ship," we are saying, "It COULD be a ship, but there's not enough definition to be sure."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay:

1. To Marshal Veers, while I share your frustration, I think we may be undermining our own purpose with a sore lack of diplomacy. There's no need to shout and I once again apologize if I myself am seeming arrogant.

2. Siggie, I realize you are the one who posted the pic. I am just interpreting it.

3. Spike. Use a better magnifying glass.

4. Reverend. Thank God someone finally did a rendering. It looks pretty good. I'll be interested to see if you do top and front views, too. One point though: It seems to me that the nacelles are mounted forward rather than aft, (that 'windshield' in the front is the bridge module, I think) so in the drawing they should be pointed the other way, and the cargo modules should be labeled innreverse order.

5. A suggestion to all: If you don't think it's a ship, why not just say so, leave it at that, and let the rest of us get on with things? (Not that I'm trying to be pompous, or anything. )

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You? Pompous? Never.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend: Very nice drawing! I too am under the school of thought that it is a ship, if only because there are other random ships in the dock as well. I'd say the only thing you may have left out in the sketch that I made out in the photo is the "dome" above the nacelles.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A suggestion to all: If you don't think it's a ship, why not just say so, leave it at that, and let the rest of us get on with things?

You do realize that this is nonsense, correct? This is akin to saying that at an environmental policies conference, the Republicans can come in and say "environmental protection is unnecessary," but then they have to leave without saying anything else. I also don't see why you should be telling the people with an opposing view to shut up and get out when the anti-Enterprise faction is still hammering away at the ship design.

In short, the people who think this is a ship can go on thinking that it's a ship, but the people who think otherwise are going to be allowed to express their opinions to the contrary. And the best way to deal with those people is to explain your opinions, not tell them "I'm right; you're wrong," "Why don't all of you go back to the TNO Forums," and "Anyone with half a brain can see it's a ship."

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I don't enjoy the invective, but here's a thought:

Most of the designers on Trek are fairly good sports regarding answering emails on minutia (which this certainly qualifies as). Why not email Okuda (or whoever was the designer of this scene) and ASK?

Or does that defeat the purpose...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, ok I was a bit harsh saying we blow the people who do not believe it is a ship back to The New Order Forums, and that I was one-sided in that saying. So, I must agree, you may all have your opinions. It may or may not be a ship.
Now, for those of you that say the ship is DEFINITELY NOT ONE, THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IT COULD BE A SHIP, then I'd give you the finger, but it is a computer.

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although, TNO needs members, it has 0 registered users...

--------------------
Meh

HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with those that think its a ship. It blends in with the rest of the starbase structure becuse its obviously inactive (no running lights, no spotlights). It seems out of place to be part of the starbase. For those of you that insist on saying what it aint, come up with some believable suggestions as to what it could be. Just saying that it aint a ship and leaving it at that isn't goning to bring anyone around to your way of thinking.

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Um, some believable postulations to the not-a-ship theory have been presented. Construction mondule? Traffic control module? Shuttle/workbee refueling station?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's with all this EFH bashing?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now, for those of you that say the ship is DEFINITELY NOT ONE, THAT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IT COULD BE A SHIP, then I'd give you the finger, but it is a computer."

Erm... I don't think anyone is saying that. You're the only ones saying anything definite. The rest of us are saying that it's either a ship or not, but we have no reason to say either way.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps