Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture (Page 7)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting.

I must confess that my laser disc player must have hiccoughed when I went to the spacedock scene because that shot posted earlier didn't show itself. Most peculiar.

I went back and checked again, and I'm going to have to agree that the object is question is matted into the shot. It doesn't match the spacedock interior colors, as it does in the publicity photo.

I don't necessrily agree about the specific details being argued over, but in light of the evidence I'm going to weigh in on the side of it being a ship of some sort.

As to who at ILM might be able to identify the mystery object, it would have to be someone who worked on the scene, like Ren Ralstrom, Scott Farrar or Don Dow. This was before Okuda's time ( he started with Trek on ST4).

I re-read the Cinefex piece on ST3, but unfortunately they make no reference to anything in the spacedock but the Enterprise, Excelsior and shuttles.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is deffinitely a composite of some sort.... one thing is certain, it is NOT part of the starbase.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As per the comments on Page 5 of this thread. This ship has NACELLES - they sit on the upper front edge of the 'trapezoid' area. There is also a mini saucer on the front leading edge of teh 'trapezoid'.

Also - the picture posted with the red circles - make it even more clear that it is not a part of the station - since it is not 'perpendicular' to the 'arm' of the station... it is at an angle - thus allowing that shadowy gap to appear.

Also - can someone check Star Trek IV - for the ship - if it's not a part of the 'arm' then it's not a fixed structure.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, also - just cause it doesn't have any 'running' lights - doesn't mean its not a ship - it could be just powered down... while it's in Space Dock...

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a ship, where is the model of it then? Someone at ILM had to have built a model of this thing if it were in a matte.

For all we know, the thing COULD be attached to Spacedock, and it's actually an L-Shape. The connection could be behind the ship, where we can't see.

As for the nacelles, those are NOT Constitution nacelles. At least, they are not identical to Constitution nacelles:

1) Look at the Enterprise. Notice how there is a small circular grille, then a slanted section, then more grille? Notice how small the slanted section is? Now look at the "thing". Big friggin space between the two "grilles" there.

2) The "grilles" run to the very back of the nacelle. The grilles on a Constitution end much earlier.

3) The back of the nacelles on the Constitution are slanted inward, the opposite direction of the front of the nacelle. The slant on the back of the "thing's" nacelles is in the same direction as the front.

4) The bottom of the "thing's" nacelles are flat. The bottom of a Constitution's nacelle raises up a bit toward the back, plus there is a small fin at the very end.

Also notice the shadow in the publicity pic. You can clearly see the shadow of the "nacelle", but where is the shadow of the "saucer"? The saucer is obviously sitting higher then the nacelles, so why isn't it there?

Well, maybe the light source is coming from the bottom. OK, then why is there a giant shadow on the bottom? If the light source was from the top, then the nacelles wouldn't even appear at all! The shadows were mostly likely added by ILM (since comparing the ST3 screencap to this publicity shot, they obviously cleaned this thing up). They obviously screwed up in their altering of the image to add those shadows.

BTW, anyone care to try and get a size reference of the Phase II Enterprise? You could compare it to the size of the Excelsior sitting next to the large structure...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good points, The359. Those definitely are not Constitution-style nacelles. If they are nacelles, I think they'd be closer in appearance to the Oberth-style. That's what I was thinking as I highlighted the damn things. Plus, it's hard to tell which way the things would be facing if they were nacelles.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I don't think you'd see the saucer, cause it looks like - from the shadow - that the nacelles sit out from the rest of the ship a little - forwards. The Sauer seems to sit at the middle front of the ship - but not jutting all the way out.

That Phase II excelsior try-out looks MASSIVE compared to the Ent.

Anyone else notice that The Excelsior is lit up by those spot lights - and then if you look under the arm that is partly obscuring the Phase II ship - it too has spot lights pointing up at it. There are also some more spot-lights behind the 'right arm' (the arm behind the Excelsior)... I'm guessing there might be another ship parked back there.

Andrew

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone post the cap of the Phase II in Space dock? I haven't seen it yet.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I think it's on the previous page.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's on page 4.

And, now that I look at it, yeah, the McQuarrie ship looks like it might be roughly the size of the Excelsior...

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, now looking at the screencap again, this thing is definatly not attached to the wall, at least not the parts we can see. I have highlighted the "ship" and the "shadow", since I just noticed that there was even a shadow there at all.

I noticed it when I saw the tiny bluish object that was for some reason just stuck in the middle of the whole black area. Well, this is the ship's left (from out point of view) "nacelle"

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is a structure, it's the only "external" structure we can see. The rest of the walls are all smooth...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: What's EFH bashing?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EFH being an acronym for Emergency Forum Hologram, which was someone's (perhaps my) pet name for TNO.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a previous posts I said I had looked at ST3 and ST4. The object in question appears in ST3, but not in the ST4 spacedock scenes.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps