Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, OK, then its a possibility that this isn't a permanent structure of the Starbase arm (the cargo ship).

Just also wondering - even though it was just Starbase stuffing - I wonder why the pre-excels. couldn't give chase on the Enterprise. Was it that the Enterprise had set all the speed records and that it was the fastest ship - and that the only ship that could hope to overrun the Enterprise was the Transwarp Excelsior!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible the other ships were "shut down" and it would have taken too long to start them up and then get them out of Spacedock for persuit.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. Although were there NO ships between Earth and the Genesis planet? None at all that could have given chase?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other ship needn't even have been "shut down", as such. For all we know, it was in Spacedock for repairs or upgrades, and was in no condition to fly out of the place at all.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the smaller ships that must have been swarming the vicinity would either not have been fast enough on long chases, or not have had anything like the required firepower to stop the Enterprise.

Also, Genesis must have been pretty close to Earth for Kirk to have reached it so quickly in ST2. Heck, *Khan* reached that location using his ancient, apparently sublight-only ship (unless Kirk really went out of his way to find him a new planet at the end of "Space Seed"). The trip in ST3 didn't take much time, either. Ceti Alpha must be in the immediate vicinity of Earth, really.

...Which would also be supported by the fact that nebulae of a certain type are known as "Mutara class nebulae", as we repeatedly heard in Voyager. What floated next to Ceti Alpha was THE Mutara nebula, the forefather of them all. Apparently, this was the first such nebula to be encountered by Earthlings. Presumably, such midget nebulae are virtually invisible from Earth, and can only be located by space travelers.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Also, Genesis must have been pretty close to Earth for Kirk to have reached it so quickly in ST2. Heck, *Khan* reached that location using his ancient, apparently sublight-only ship (unless Kirk really went out of his way to find him a new planet at the end of "Space Seed")."

Kahn got to Regula 1 and the Genesis planet on the Reliant, not the Botany Bay. the Reliant could have easily used to warp after leavng Ceti Alpha V (for an unknown amount of time). Likewise, Kirk engaged warp when he headed for Regula 1 (and was intercepted), and although it seems like a short amount of time, we don't really have any figures to throw about.

I'd say the Enterprise was the only ship within range (or "the quadrant" as it was put in ST II), implying it was not near Earth, but according to ST:TMP, Star Trek Generations and "Paradise Lost", Earth has a tendancy to leave itself undefended, apart from one ship.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the proximity of "Ceti Alpha"... The real Alpha Ceti is about 220ly away.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected - due to an acute case of telepathic possession by a particularly dim yet PSI-active dachshund, I momentarily thought that Regula I was in the same system with the Ceti Alpha planets. Which is the one thing we KNOW to be impossible.

Incidentally, where are all the pictures of Oberth study models? I'd think lots of effort would have been put in designing that ship for ST3, just like the Excelsior design was refined through the use of physical study models. It just strikes me as interesting that the mysterious vessel at Spacedock would have the same saucer-flanked-by-tiny-nacelles design that ended up being used in the Grissom. Perhaps the mystery ship in fact *is* an early Grissom, rather than something deliberately built to enrich the Spacedock scene?

Timo Saloniemi

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good point indeed. I thought the same thing. And I can vaguely remember having seen some pic of one of the Oberth class study models in some book.
Unfortunately I don't have that book. I was on holiday in England and scanning through that book in a store in Liverpool.

Anyway, that ship looked roughly like the "object" we are all argueing about here.
Oh and count me in on that "I believe it COULD be a ship but I'm not sure" - faction!

Bernd, if you are around, what is your take on the object in question?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Okay, Liam, we need you to go out and look through every Trek book in every store in Liverpool and find us that picture, 'kay? :-)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you find it, we may have a special surprise for you...yes...yes...this...um......

PIECE OF PRINTER PAPER! Yeah, kickass, you gotta love these kinda prizes! Now go find that book, or no Printer Paper for you!!!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should give him a toy Yoda.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carefull, he might sue us for misrepresentaiton! A couple of pages back, I seemed to offend the "its not a ship" side of our littl argument. I apologise. I didnt mean that none of you came up with plausable counter arguments. What I meant was that most just disagreed and left it at that. You also should support your stance like the "its a ship side" has done. Their evidence convinced me. Come up with convincing evidence as to what you think it is and I may change my stance. As a side note, this topic should say something to certain producers when they take too much liberty with certain accepted details of the Star Trek Universe. Look at how much effort is being put into identifying a small chunk of the background used for only a few seconds in one movie! Im all for a little creative licence, but ya gotta walk a fine line or you may end up alenating your core fan base.

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I don't go back to Liverpool for another couple of months, sorry.

I could go and check every book store in London, but since that would take roughly 9 million years (and Yanks would keep telling me to go to "Hugh Grant's shop", despite the fact that it doesn't exist, and, if it did, it sold MAPS anyway), so I'll need a stronger incentive.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you remember the shop in Liverpool?? Do you remember the book?? RING THEM!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps