Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Space Dock cargo ship - clear picture
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea. Apart from the fact that I live in Germany and this was only on holiday - and three years ago.
But I remember the book store's name: it was "Dillons" opposite Liverpool Central station. I don't recall the name of the book.
It was a "coffee table" book - stylish, full color and about the same size as "The Art of Star Trek". I think it was blue on the outside and had a Federation badge on the front.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry, but I remember neither the name of the book nor the publisher.
At the time I just scanned through this book. I thought it was great but just too expensive.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Excelsior in Trek 3, I may have to go back to the video, but I could of sworn the only reason transwarp didnt work while it chased the enterprise was Scotty removed something from the Excelsior. Captain Styles said something along the lines of "They will regret that...". The overall tone and mood of the chase out of the starbase sugested that the Excelsior was already in the middle of transwarp testing, and had already achieved transwarp, and was ready to chase the enterprise using it.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's loads of Dillons all over the country. I know someone who works at one. I'll check it out.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason the Excelsior stalled out, sure. But I find it really hard to believe that a few missing spark plugs would be enough to scrap the whole transwarp project. There had to have been other problems with the setup.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Possibly it burned fuel like a US cars engine. Or maybe it was extremely unstable. Or perhaps the speed increase just wasn't dramatic enough. Or perhaps advances in normal warp drive made it unecessary. Or perhaps it was successful, but it just amounted to a standard speed increase, and the over excited PR boys who dramatically called it "transwarp" were fired, and it just reverted to being called "warp, but a bit faster"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That book... hard-cover... blue... with a badge... I've never seen something like that... could it be one of those LUG books??

Also, maybe Transwarp was applied to new increases in Warp... but still was warp - not the funky different type(s) seen in Voyager?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: what's LUG?
I've tried all the regular publishers' websites (simon & schuster et al) as well as amazon.com to find the book, but to no avail. Damn!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LUG: Last Unicorn Games.
A Star Trek RPG, IIRC.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any recent news on this book? Never seen it myself, but if it exists...it must be added to my collection...

Thanks!
Art

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let�s continue the debate, here�s my latest scan:
Space dock "ship"

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice scan, but I don't think there's anything more to debate about. After nine pages on this topic, the general consensus is that some people think it's a ship, and some people don't. Without any further info from the people responsible for setting up the scene, there's no way to tell who is right.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I guess you�re right I just wanted to see what kind of reaction I�d get....

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read page one and page nine. I'm extremely frightened by what the middle pages contain, and therefor abstain. I think its part of the wall, but I would be willing to say its a ship if you drew a blueprint.

Of course it wouldnt be canon.
I had an idea. Let's break into the set for Star Trek X when its being filmed, and put all of our favorite non-canon images on a CD and overwrite some of Okuda's graphics for the background monitors. Then they film it, and maybe you can see a little bit of te dreadnought or a shuttlecarrier behind Picard-clone's head. BOOM instant canonicity!!! Then they will have to listen to the creative fanboys...
going insane...., captain

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It cannot be apart of the wall, if you look at the actual film footage you can see that this is definatly a composited image with a definate matt line and the normal discolouration.
this last image was taken from a publicity photo that has been touched up, so the object in question looks like a part of the wall...but it isn't...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind.. i just read the middle pages and somebody did draw a blueprint..
can i have permission to add in to my encyclopedia?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.