Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Apollo class... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Apollo class...
Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, just curious if anyone knows anything about the Apollo class. Since it's mentioned in the Encyclopedia that one ship was lost at Wolf 359 (USS Gage, NCC-11672) some kind of model MUST have existed in one form or another. Based on it's registry, it definately has no Galaxy-era components, so it probably wasn't built by the BoBW2 modelmakers. The only possibilities in BoBW2 would be one of the old Excelsior study models seen far in the background (but it has been mentioned that these weren't named) OR the wrecked Constitution-type saucer seen up-close at the very beginning of the scene that is drifting to the left. Or, if it didn't appear until the first ep of DS9, then it is probably the Excelsior-variant (?) that is in the upper right of the screen when the Saratoga explodes. To me, either an Excelsior or Constitution variant would support the 11672 registry, but I'm no expert - anybody have any ideas?

------------------

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if we believe the Encyclopedia, the Apollo is like those Vulcan ships from "Unification" (TNG).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gage was mentioned after DS9: "Emissary". I have thought for some time it might be the floating saucer seen just when the Saratoga explodes (See Wolf 359 thread, entry 141). This is the only unnamed ship in the episode. However, when the Ency II came out, suddenly the T'Pau was an Apollo-class ship, but this was obviously an error. Maybe there is no Apollo design at all.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hasn't the T'Pau been an Apollo all along? I believe the debate is over whether or not the T'Pau was among the ships seen at the end of "Unification II".

As for the Gage... There wasn't necessarily a model. The registry may have been on an Okudagram somewhere. I don't think they would have invented a regsitry for the encyclopedia, but, then, this isn't a certainty.

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn all who believe that all fed. ships are designed in house. why can't they register a vulcan design

------------------
For all you Fighting needs
http://www.fighters.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't the T'Pau be an Apollo?

Also, regarding the saucer.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the O-gram in "Unification I" explicitly say that the T'Pau is an Apollo?

And was the mystery saucer in the actual explosion scene? Because that's what that paragraph seems to refer to, exclusively, since it doesn't mention the Yamaguchi, Bonestell, etc.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

The scene being referring to in the paragraph is the scene with the Saratoga exploding, which is also the scene with the saucer.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no evidence that the T'Pau is an Apollo, except for an entry in the Ency II that was not in the Ency I and could easily be erroneous.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, anything in the Encyclopedia could be erroneous, but we shouldn't assume everything is.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We were leaving New York this morning and we were checking in at the gate at the airport and the attendant said, 'You must be musicians,' and I said, 'Yes,' and she asked, 'What's the name of your band?,' and I said, 'We're called the Statesmen,' and she said, 'Oh, I've heard of you!'. I think if we'd said, you know, 'We're the Green Egg,' or something, she would have said the same thing." - John Linnell

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps we should recap the arguments on the T'Pau/Apollo issue?

T'Pau is not an Apollo:

-The Romulans wanted to steal T'Pau's components to create an ersatz Vulcan ship. A ship of a generic starship class in Starfleet service (with names like Agamemnon and Ajax) would not be sufficiently identifiable as Vulcan.
-Apollos have been drafted to fight the Borg, in "Descent". A Vulcan freighter simply would not cut it.
-Encyclopedia makes mistakes, yadda yadda.

T'Pau may be an Apollo despite the above:

-Perhaps T'Pau was a special Apollo, the only one with a Vulcan-built navigational deflector or other such identifiably Vulcan components?
-Perhaps the Romulans had some other motivation in stealing the ship bit by bit. They may simply have been hunting for old Vulcan codes and passwords still stored in the computers of that ship, and didn't know exactly where to look.
-All of Encyclopedia shouldn't be damned for the known mistakes, yadda yadda.

T'Pau must be, if not an Apollo, then at least of the same class as the Vulcan freighters we saw:

-There is a ship looking like one of those Vulcan freighters at Qualor II. Even though we know the T'Pau was NOT at Qualor any more, the presence of one such ship makes likely the presence of several.
-Would the parts stolen from the T'Pau fit any other ship class?

In any case, the episodes do not unambiguously support the Encyclopedia theory that one of the ships at the end was the T'Pau. It's one of the many possibilities. And all references to an Apollo class are noncanon so far.

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I really don't see anything that excludes the T'Pau from being an Apollo...the Vulcan ships could have been broadcasting identification, there was even an Oberth at Wolf 359, etc.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We were leaving New York this morning and we were checking in at the gate at the airport and the attendant said, 'You must be musicians,' and I said, 'Yes,' and she asked, 'What's the name of your band?,' and I said, 'We're called the Statesmen,' and she said, 'Oh, I've heard of you!'. I think if we'd said, you know, 'We're the Green Egg,' or something, she would have said the same thing." - John Linnell

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I thought the general concensus was that the Oberth class starship was trying to run away from the battle. Or did I imagine that?

------------------
690 consecutive rejections by women since January 1993.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

It's been suggested, but only on the basis that an Oberth couldn't do much to a Borg cube. The fact remains that there was an Oberth at W359. A Vulcan transport could easily have been there under similar circumstances.

------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I think the Bonestall was there because Starfleet needed a fleet there and all they could muster up were those 40 ships with the Bonestall included. It may not do much damage, but it's better to have it there and do a little damage than not be there to do it's share of damage. See what I mean?

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps