Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttle in MSD

Author Topic: Shuttle in MSD
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone noticed this part of the MSD for the sovereign-class before? http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/star-trek/sovereignshuttle.jpg
There appears to be a shuttle on the far right, that when compared to the other shuttles seen in the same MSD appears to be larger. Any thoughts?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's a larger shuttle

Seriously, it's probably a cargo shuttle or something.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. There was a Type-9A in the TNG TM that was similar to a Type-6 shuttle, but longer.

------------------
"I am a hyena. A hyena is an animal who laughs when there is nothing funy to laugh at. This is the sound a hyena makes. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."--W.E.B. Griffen, Semper Fi

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Type-9A was more similar to the Type-7 in my opinion.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That larger shuttle is probably the same design as the one that picked up Picard near the end of Generations. It's very similar to the shuttle in Star Trek V - looks more like the Type-6 than the Type-7.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, it looks like the Hawking from "Generations"

BTW: Does anybody think the Justman from "Sub Rosa" should have been the same type? You just couldn't add an extra segment to the interior to make it longer but keep the external length the same.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, st:fact files had an issue with a new drawing of the sovereign-class schematics. This page will show you two pics of this shuttle: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/new/shuttle.htm
As you can see, the shuttle seems to be an intermediary design, in size between the type 6 shuttle and the Hawking.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, somebody simply stretched the profile view of a Type 6 on his Paintbrush or CorelDraw...

I'd like to accept this as a companion design to the Type 6 (perhaps Type 6A?), and a standard auxiliary craft for the E-E, while the craft flown by Picard and Worf would just be a modern Runabout. That one doesn't look like a shuttle to me, not with such big engines, small doors, internal partitions, big onboard transporters, what looks like an aft torpedo tube... And it isn't even called a shuttle in the movie!

Speaking of shuttles, I have always viewed the Type 7 as significantly larger than portrayed in the TNG TM. It's way bigger than that in the various matte paintings. I just saw "Unnatural Selection" for the first time, and it has two telltale views of the craft:

-The full-scale mock-up, while inaccurate, is still definitely more than twice the height of a man, as seen when Data and Pulaski walk past it.

-Next to the Darwin Station building matte painting, the landed shuttle looks nearly two floors high.

Would you happen to know of any MSD or similar readout that would have the side profile of a Type 7 contrasted with something else recognizable?

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and that scan of the E-E cutout has an interesting grey area just below the shorter shuttle. It's not present in the original MSD. What is this? a separation line for the primary and secondary hulls, perhaps?

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Timo: No, unfortunately, I haven�t seen the type 7 in comparizon with anything else. However, in bobw, doesn�t the shuttle have transporters? Would that signify a larger size?
Oh, and I agree, it could be designated as a type 6a. However type 9 and 9a doesn�t look at all alike. Perhaps a new designation?

------------------

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited February 29, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

Unfortunately, even the smallish Type 8 and 9 shuttles have their own short-range transporters (hidden in the ceiling, with a range of 10 klicks, as opposed to the big cabin-mounted units of a Danube that have a range of at least a thousand kilometers). So that's not a strong argument for a larger-than-TNG TM Type 7.

The arguments for larger size would be

-All the matte paintings, from early TNG to the end of Generations
-The interior being as big as that of a type 6, even though it represents only the front half or front 5/8 of the shuttle judging by the windows
-The exterior mock-up being really big (although not looking much like the real Type 7)
-The shuttle being designated "medium" instead of "light" in the TNG TM itself.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the Academy Trainers have their own built in Transporter system...

Gawd - who would like to be stationed at the emergency evac point on Mimas - what would it be manned by like ONE or TWO people...

Although - I'm sure there is more on Mimas than just an evac station...

Oh also - how can you tell how big the shuttle craft is compared to Darwin station - there is nothing 'known' to compare it to - we don't know what a 'story' is on that station...

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Timo
Member # 245

I'd think the transporters were on Mimas, not aboard the training craft. And those were some impressive transporters! So far, the biggest starship transporters have been reported with a range of about 60,000 kilometers. Mimas would be dozens of times farther away from Titan most of the time. Not to mention the times when it would be on the other side of Saturn... Probably there are numerous transporter relay stations all over Saturnian space (or at least over the Titan flight range), with just a control center and rematerialization terminal on Mimas.

The Darwin station vs. shuttle Sakharov comparison simply comes from the rows of lighted windows on the matte painting of the station. We see where the shuttle lands, in reasonably good 3D (perhaps two-three shuttle lengths in front of the building), and we see the rows of windows - the shuttle either is almost two stories tall, or there are several rows of windows on each floor in the building. Or then I'm completely misinterpreting the perspective, which is also possible (I've only watched the tape thrice so far ).

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well remember in the Trek universe - a window is not always a window - remember the 'windows' in the underside of the Defiant... even in our universe - look at some glass windowed high rises - you know with a 'window' everywhere - sometimes what looks like another floor is just a 'window' between levels...

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps