Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Bradbury class - non canon topic (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bradbury class - non canon topic
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Markus, Laz... excellent jobs!
My personal interpretation of the Bradbury, if it were a prototype resembling the Intrepid, would be closer to Laz's design (which reminds me slightly of Adam Heinbuch's USS Frontier), but possibly with a more Intrepid-style hull and the swept-back nacelles Markus uses... However that doesn't mean Markus' work is invalid.
Remember, gentlemen, IDIC: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. In other words, we are all allowed to have our own ideas of the Star Trek universe! Believe me, I have done fanfics that some people would dismiss because they involve, for example, the appearance of a dimensional rift and a rather ugly-looking ship called the USS Sulaco, and a certain Lt. Ripley - but other people like them. I wouldn't have written them if I didn't!

Here's a thought: maybe Laz and Markus would like to collaborate on a new idea together? Or possibly, given the outstanding nature of both designs, you could work together to fuse them and create something totally new and different?

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember Markus' didn't make his ship to be a Bradbury class - it is his own original 'kitbash' from the Dominion War...

*I* Said wouldn't it be cool to have that as the Bradbury. Its not a great leap to think that the Bradbury is somewhere between the Galaxy and the Intrepid...

I'm not the only one to think this - Laz has also done a long time ago - some nice diagrams of his version of the Bradbury - remember... there is no known bradbury people...

Andrew

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that Markus' design was not intended to be the Bradbury and that you said wouldn't it be cool if... that was why I expressed my opinion. Besides, there is no reason that there can't be more than one Bradbury design out there. Like I said in my other post, don't forget about IDIC! We can all design our own Trek universes if we want to...
Given the late date of Markus' design (Dominion War), it is unlikely to be a Bradbury candidate for *his* universe. Doesn't mean I can't (after asking and being given permission) borrow the design, draw up some plans and say "In my universe, this is the USS Bradbury", or even create one of my own!
And no matter what my opinion is, I mean no disrespect to any of our designers - Cargile, Baloo, Laz, Markus, anyone - because they work so hard to give us their ideas, and I admire them for their artistic ability and creative vision. Just because I express an opinion or a preference, doesn't mean I think one is better than another - just that one design might fit more closely with my idea of an unseen ship than another.

Anyway. Rant over.
AFAIK, the lowdown on the Bradbury is that it is an Intrepid prototype... although I don't think this is canon. So it could be Laz's design, Markus's design, or even the study model in The Art of Star Trek! So because we have not seen it and know very little about the ship other than that it exists, practically anything goes... Like I said, IDIC - infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

BTW - as kitbashes go, it's a hell of a lot better than the ones in the DS9 tech manual!

Kudos to our designers! Keep it up...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Starbuck (edited February 25, 2000).]

Markus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this discussion has really taken an interesting turn. Are you trying to scare me away?

Thanks for the compliments. Just once more for the record, my model (USS Mareja) was never supposed to be the Bradbury, nor was it influenced by Laz's design. It's straight-up Rick Sternbach's Intrepid mated with Andy Probert's nacelles. The only thing I can take credit for is the pylon shape, and maybe the paint job. To me, it's still just an Intrepid-class.

Laz, I understand where you're coming from, so apology accepted, and no hard feelings. I, too, have had my material stolen and used without credit or permission so I know what it feels like. I know you're just watching out for yourself, rightfully so, and I can't blame you for that.

The web is a tough environment. It gives all of us a fair shot at sharing our work with the general public, but it also makes it so easy for others to take what we've made and claim it as their own. It's worth more to me to share what I've done and make others happy, than to just hide it and protect it where it's sure to do no one any good. The best I can hope for is that my designs will become well known enough that, even if someone steals them, people will still recognize them as mine.

The tough thing about kitbashes, is that given enough time and enough people working on them, duplicate designs are unavoidable. It becomes hard to tell what is property theft, and what is an honest coincidence. The funny thing is, USS Mareja is my only 'cut and paste kitbash', something I usually avoid. All my other kitbash models are far more original. I feel awkward thinking that this is the one design you know me by. I'd be happy to talk about this some more if anyone wants. Just start a new topic over on the Creativity forum.

I have it a little easier than you, Laz, and other digital artists, in that if anyone steals my photos, I can still pull out the physical model and say, "See? My idea." With purely digital images, once it's gone, it's tough to get back. I really hope this hasn't discouraged you too much. You have a lot of talent, and I hope you keep designing.

Sorry about continuing the drift, but this is a pretty important point Laz has brought up. Back on topic, like Timo and Sol System, I also think of the Bradbury as a completely radical and new ship, perhaps Lance Nutter's awesome wild looking design over at Bernd's ASDB site.

Andrew, thanks for your support. It's people like you who make me feel what I'm doing is worthwhile. Go ahead and ignore my 'backstory' and make up your own. As Starbuck reminds us, IDIC: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. That's what Star Trek is really about, where we can share and inspire each other's creativity and imagination.

PopMaze, thanks! I didn't know it draws the smiles automatically. I thought I had to import a file or something. This is cool. Maybe the open mouth is ":" and "D"?

Markus

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome.

And thanks for your help as well. The open mouth is with the "D"

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laz: I don't think I can apologize enough for what I did. I honestly didn't think about crediting you because I saw so many sites with the same images on them. Take in mind that this was when I first started with a webpage. But, now I know and I credit you for the images. Learn from your mistakes

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Laz1701
Ex-Member

Markus, I'm in full agreement.

On the subject of kitbashes, my Bradbury was never a kitbash, while your model is - and I have to say it's one of the better Intrepid kitbashes around. As you said in the "Defense of Kitbashes" thread, there's nothing wrong with kitbashes as long as they look feasable. There's an Intrepid sister class mentioned in tech fandom called the Kyuga, and if I hadn't already come up with my own design for it, I would have nominated your model for it.

On the subject of the Bradbury itself, I've always considered it not only an intermediate step between the Galaxy and Intrepid, but a failed class. Only the prototype was built, and the rest of the class was never built because the Intrepid design replaced it.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, the Bradbury itself wasn't necessarily the only one built. There are other classes of which we've only heard one member mentioned. Just because this one happened to be the prototype doesn't mean the class failed. The Prommie was the only Prometheus we've seen. Does that make it a failed class?

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Bradbury was designed for a specific scientific objective?

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK everyone GROUP HUG! LOL ;o)

OK firstly, Starbuck, I don't know if your rant was aimed at me , because my latest response in this thread was not aimed at you but in general to the thread... it seems that the thread has veered from it original purpose - just to get others gawking at Markus' nice model and seeing if I was crazy or not!?!

basically everyone, "In my universe - I'd like to something like Markus' ship - even if it wasn't a Bradbury

All I can say Laz - your designs inspired me to TRY my own - and Markus - your model work is really really good - I'm just a beginner modeller - so you give me something to aim for.

What colour do you use for the federation hull? I think my Voyager that I'm in the middle of is too dark...

and its a matte isn't it?

Andrew

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Markus
Ex-Member

I use a two tone grey scheme, FS36375 and FS36320 for Federation ships. It's pretty close to the Enterprise-D from Star Trek: Generations and the newer ships, like the First Contact ships, Voyager, Prometheus, etc. Not exact, but colors vary so much from studio to screen anyway.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps