Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A few words in defense of kitbashes... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A few words in defense of kitbashes...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In real Star Trek though, all of those fandom ships wouldn't be considered different classes.

The Excelsior refit isn't considered a new class, nor are the Mirandas.

And besides, I don't see any difference between the Tikopai and the "Enterprise" class. And don't say "The torpedo launcher is angled 0.0023 degrees higher than in the Tikopai"

If I were to show you a picture of my hand, chew off my nail, and show you a picture of that, it's not a different hand.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The deflector assembly, the sensor dome, and the upper section of the saucer are a bit different, but that isn't nearly enough to justify any name change. They would both be upgraded Constitutions.

------------------
Jackson: "Basically, he was the original Satan."
O'Neill: "Well, isn't that special?"
-Stargate SG-1: "Serpent's Song"

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I for one like the class/subclass idea.
Apparently there is a scene in STVI where this is supported by some blueprints Scotty is reading?
So for example, you could have Constitution class and Enterprise, Tikopai and America sub-classes... since the differences are noticeable but the basic spaceframe is the same.

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Actually much more was changed on the Constitution. The saucer diameter was extended by a couple of meters, the secondary hull has a different shape. I tried to match the old and the new version, but they don't correspond. Furthermore, the neck length is not the same.

Obviously the new Enterprise was supposed to look only reminiscent of the old one, although the movie suggests it is still the same ship. If they didn't state that the ship had been refurbished, I would assume it was completely new.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no canonical reference to the class/subclass idea, but I like it as well. In reality, I would expect that if enough modifications were made to certain members of a class, they would be designated as a subclass to differentiate them from the originals. Thus, the different variations of Miranda class ships may be subclasses.

In tech fandom, the TOS Enterprise was Constitution class but Bonhomme Richard subclass. The original Constitution class ship was the one Pike commanded, as well as the one Kirk first commanded in "Where No Man Has Gone Before". It's postulated that the changes in the model used for the first season of the show can be explained by an upgrade to Bonhomme Richard specs. By the third season, the ship had been upgraded once again, to Achernar specs.

The TOS Tech Manual isn't considered canon by most, but it also refers to subclasses. Bonhomme Richard, Achernar, Tikopai... they're all listed under Constitution class, but they are each the class ships of Constitution subclasses.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps