Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Klingon ship models in Way of the Warrior

Author Topic: Klingon ship models in Way of the Warrior
Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard from a friend who read somewhere that "Way of the Warrior" used a number of Ertl Klingon ships in the Klingon armada that "visited" Deep Space Nine. The models were then blown up by the pyrotechnic people for the battle scene. Is this true or can anyone find out if it is?

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it is true, but it sure can be true.
They have done something like that before.

In fact: If you listen carefully to the BoP blown up in ST6 you can hear that a small piece of debris hits a glass wall. You can even see that piece change cource (slightly right of the middle, after it hits the glass it goes from bottom to top).

------------------
E-mail Dot at: [email protected]

(-=\V/=-)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Ertl?
And what did you try to explain by referring to ST:VI? I didn't quite understand.

------------------
-Have some coffee, it's good!
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 27, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ertl is a company that makes Star Trek ship models (among others)

What I explained is that they do use such models in order to blow them up (the debris part is just some extra stuff). But I don't know if (Ertl) models were used in Way of the Warrior.

------------------
E-mail Dot at: [email protected]

(-=\V/=-)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least one K't'inga cruiser was rather graphically shown being blown to bits in the episode, instead of just being hidden in a stock footage fireball. Since it's highly unlikely that the studio would really have blown up their one and only model of the K't'inga, and at this early stage the explosion probably wasn't created with computers alone, it's rather likely that this ship was an ERTL model. Or, more accurately, the VFX people changed the accurate photographic model to an ERTL model at the moment it was supposed to explode, so that they could photograph the bits.

Nowadays, there's no need to use scale models, since CGI explosions are much more impressive (see the end of the original Defiant, or all those spinning-out-of-control Mirandas and Akiras!) and probably much cheaper to do.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the last clip showing the Negh'Var, before they fire mega-photon's at the station's shield-generators, you can see a Vor'Cha behind it blowing up rather violently. In fact, the whole lower part of the superstructure spins away. Very nice.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.

-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible, though if they did use ERTL models, it didn't detract from the overall battle.

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

kiltedbear
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for kiltedbear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading an article in Cinefantastique (pardon my spelling) a couple years ago discussing the effects for that episode. Apparently, they wound up buying a�whole horde of the Playmates Vor'Cha class cruisers and Birds of Prey toys for the extra ships in the fight scenes, and I believe they blew up the majority of them, Again, Id have to go back and try to find that article

------------------
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps