Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » That honkin' big Romulan ship...

Author Topic: That honkin' big Romulan ship...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's called a Warbird, but I have no real information on it. What weapons does it use. Do they use torpedoes, disruptors, some improved form of the plasma weapon seen in TOS? How many of each? How big is the crew? How fast does it go?

Any more information? I want to add a TNG-era ship to the Romulan Intelligence report and I don't know where to begin.

All responses gratefully appreciated.

[Exceptions will be duly noted. ]

------------------
"Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonalds's makes you a hamburger."
--[Source unknown.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 28, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First encountered in 2364. Twice the length of a Galaxy class starship. Utilized an artificial quantum singularity as their equivalent of a warp-drive. Designated by Starfleet as a B-type warbird.

This is from ds9 tech manual:
Production base: Unknown; Romulan star empire Type: Heavy cruiser. Accommodation: 1500 plus officers, crew and troops. Power plant: One artificial singularity-drive warp core feeding two nacelles; two impulse systems. Dimensions: Length - 1.041.65 meters, beam - 772.43 meters, height - 285.47 meters Mass: 4.320.000 metric tonnes Performance: Warp 9.6 (Observed) Armament: Six ship-mounted disruptors; two photon-torpedoe launchers

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for how much of that is canon...

The ship does have quantum-singularity engines ("Face of the Enemy"/"Timescape"). It does have at least three disruptor cannon (at the "forehead" and the wings), and six overall sounds quite probable. It does carry photon torpedoes ("The Defector"). It can barely match the speed of a Galaxy ("Tin Man"), at the cost of cloaking efficiency.

As for the dimensions, the ship seems to shrink a lot after its initial appearance in "The Neutral Zone". Perhaps there are two sizes of the vessel, a larger type-A (only seen in "TNZ") and a smaller type-B (later learned to be called D'eridex class by the Romulans)?

I do detest the idea that the ship would be a "heavy cruiser" in anybody's books. The Romulans themselves probably call it a Warbird (as in "Face of the Enemy"), and the Feds would be idiots to equate this vessel with their own, far smaller heavy cruisers (of which the Ambassador class is the only canon example apart from the Constitution class, but for example Akira is called a heavy cruiser in the same DS9 TM).

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to classify the Warbird, I would call it a battleship rather than a heavy cruiser.

As for the size of the ship, in "TNZ" Data did say the Warbird was "at least twice the length of the Enterprise" or somesuch. Even so, it is true that the ship has at times appeared somewhat smaller. Whether there are two sizes of the same vessel is debatable, though - after all, the ship has always had the same external appearance.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in "TotP", when the warbird-wing opened fire, you could see torpedoes AND phaser-streams being fired from the same point in the beak. They've probably got both weapons in the same spot, with maybe 4-5 metres between.

Oh, and they seem to take pride in separating themselves from the mainstream of alpha-quad weaponry by calling their torpedoes "plasma-torpedoes". It must be some sort of variation from the famous plasma-discharge the original BoP used in TOS.
They look really nice, more glowing mint-green than the klingons military-green.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.

-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 29, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mint green" and "military green"? Is that like when Rimmer repainted Red Dwarf's interior from "ocean grey" to "military grey", or whatever it was? *L*

------------------
Jackson: "Basically, he was the original Satan."
O'Neill: "Well, isn't that special?"
-Stargate SG-1: "Serpent's Song"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps