Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Raven (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: USS Raven
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering does anyone have any information on the Raven seen in Dark Frontier?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is almost no cannon info about info about the Raven. No class info or stats were given in the ep. Certain things can be deduced by the rego number concerning her age and what not, but other than that...look to fan fic!

She is NOT Erewon Class despite what you may read on the internet.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SS Raven NAR-32450, privatly owned science vessel. Owned by the Hanson Family.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip. I have to change my website. However it does look similar to a runabout or the sydney class starship.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'd like to think the Raven as an Erewon-class ship, since we only saw a little of it in "Paradise". There are so many classes we don't know what they look like and whenever we see a new design it's also given a new class name.

I read that the Erewon is 4 times the size of a runabout, about the same size as the Raven I presume.
Unfortunatly the registries don't match. The SS Santa Maria has a different registry prefix, BDR-529. And the Raven can't seem to choose one, first it's NAR, then it's NCC-32450.

------------------
"The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park" - Torres
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the Santa Maria was a Sydney Class transport. Anyway, the Raven looks new and yet it has a low registry number. Why is that?

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the ship is at least twenty-some years old, so it couldn't have a new registry. Since it's in the 3xxxx's, though, I'd say it has to be even older than that. Probably originally launched in the 2330's or so and refit soon before the Hansen's got it.

And the Santa Maria was Erewhon-class. I believe this comes from the Encyclopedia-2.

------------------
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."
-They Might Be Giants, "Your Racist Friend"

nx001a
Member # 291

The updated encyclopedia has an entry for the raven and does not state what class it is. Although it does confirm the possible reason why it had a NAR registry and a USS prefix.

------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the Encyclopedia spells it Erewon not Erewhon. I think Erewhon comes from the first Encyclopedia but the latter versions spell it Erewon.

------------------
"The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park" - Torres
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it wouldn't have even been in the first one. Does anyone know what the word actually is, and we can find out the correct spelling?

------------------
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."
-They Might Be Giants, "Your Racist Friend"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, "Erewhon" is the name of an utopian society from the writings of some 19th century or earlier author whose name I completely forget. And yes, it's "Erewhon", not "Erehwon", even though obviously it is supposed to be "Nowhere" backwards. I'll check back on the writer ASAP - I just stumbled upon the book cover back in the bookstore, and didn't pay all that much attention. The name was English, though, and I think the surname was a "first name" like George or something. As I said, I'll get back to this.

And the Santa Maria had a distinct hull shape, of which we could glimpse a side door and its immediate surroundings. That hull shape does not match the Sydney design. Nor does it fit the Raven design. And no, it isn't simply the Runabout side door reused. It does match a set of unused matte painting concepts (see the book "The Making of DS9") that describe the Erewhon as a squat single-or at most two-deck design with hind legs spread like those of a lizard. Wider than the Raven, but not as high, and it lacks visible warp nacelles so probably is of inferior warp performance.

On the registry of the Raven: I do not think the NAR numbers run concurrently with the NCC numbers. After all, the NAR number of the shuttle we saw in STVI (the one that later was modified into the Sydney class transport for "Relics") was in the 20000 range at a time when the highest NCC numbers were in four digits.

There's a MSD cutout of the Raven floating around in the net. The ship seems to have four decks and a big aft shuttlebay (the doors of which are either missing, or then are really huge wraparound things that extend all across the stern and to the sides). And just like all the recent ships from Prometheus to Nova to Defiant, this one seems to have landing legs.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Raven's nacelles always looked Ambassador-esque to me. I'd guess the two two are contemporaries.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, I've just looked, and there's a book called Erewhon by Samuel Butler, and it's apparently about some Utopian kinda thing, so I guess that's the one you saw, Timo.

As for the NAR registries, remember that they were already in use way back in the time of the Mariposa. I would guess they should be well ahead of the NCC's. Which of course, means that, if the Raven is an NAR, it's even older than 2330's.

------------------
Homer: "I can see what's happening. They did it to Jesus, and now they're doing it to me."
Marge: "Are you comparing yourself to our lord?!"
Homer: "Well, in bowling ability..."
-The Simpsons

Laz1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes no difference to me what the encyclopedia identifies it as. Sisko himself identified it as Erewhon class in the episode, so that's canon.

------------------
The Starship Encyclopedia

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed Sisko's comment on the ship's class. But Erewhon would be rather fitting, considering Butler's book is a satire on a technological utopia, specifically. I managed to re-browse the book; Butler sez that the name should be pronounced as three syllables E-Re-Whon. Did Sisko follow his instructions?

The Santa Maria herself had that strange BDR-529 registry. Somebody's license plate? I don't think
we've ever seen a registry code NOT beginning with
"N" on another human-flown ship.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps