Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Executive shuttle

Author Topic: Executive shuttle
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in ST:TNG TM that one can se what the book referred to as an "executive shuttle" in the episode "Samaritan snare", is this true? Any pics?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was just a standard shuttlepod that happened to be shuttling Picard around at the time.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't a shuttlepod. It was a type 7. (The larger ones with the curvacious features.)

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Originally, it was considered that the so far unseen Captain's Yacht would finally be seen in this episode. Budgetary considerations made that impossible, so Picard was given an "executive shuttle" instead.

What was "executive" about it? Not much. The shuttle forward cabin had already been created for "Coming of Age", and the aft cabin added for "Unnatural Selection" in the second season. Picard's shuttle (Type 7, NCC-1701-D/01, Sakharov) had a replicator added in the aft cabin, but the nice couches on the sides were already there in "Unnatural Selection" and the immediately preceding "Q Who?".

The 1701-D/01 had been seen in "Unnatural Selection" already, in "non-executive" use. Perhaps the "executive" interior was modular? Or perhaps Picard simply loaned his plush ride for use as a quarantine facility since it would be the one where a long quarantine would be spent most comfortably?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the term "executive" means that is Captain's use only. I think it was just a term the book uses to describe the larger, cushier shuttle type to which, the Sam. Snare shuttle belonged.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tehe, you're smart... We want to be smart too, to make us go...

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there is another shuttle called an executive shuttle, you�ll find it on this page of mine: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/startrek/ships9.htm
Anybody got any actual pics from "samaritan snare" of the exec shuttle?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exteriors of the "Samaritan Snare" shuttle were simple reuse of footage filmed for things like "Q Who?" or "Unnatural Selection" (I think both of these featured the shuttle NCC-1701-D/01). The interiors were nearly unaltered from their "Unnatural Selection" version. So authentic pics from "Snare" probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Timo: Yeah, I know, you are right. Still it would be nice to have.....

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps