Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Time to Stand ships again (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Time to Stand ships again
jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have we ever decided what the large ship on the bottom right is in the opening sequence? The one with the large disk on the top? Any thoughts about why it might be a carrier?

------------------
Kiff! I have bedded a woman. Inform the crew.
- Zap Brannigan

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it has a shuttlebay in the front, where the deflector is supposed to be. I believe that was a reason to call it a thru-deck carrier.

That's all I know.

------------------
The Miranda Class model is not a kitbash, it is a bashkit.

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jh: Can you (or anyone else) post a pic. The only one I can think of is what is pretty much universally being referred to as the Shelley Class. The ship is supposedly the U.S.S. Curry.

I may have totally the wrong ship here, but the one I'm thinking of is basically a rearrange of the Excelsior parts with Miranda-style nacelles attatched to the underside of the saucer.

Here is a link to a site I found on dogpile that shows the ship I think you're talking about. I don't know whose site it is and my apologies for not knowing how to properly credit the creator. It is not my site though: http://www.f1.net.au/users/worf/starship/shelley.htm

If I've got the wrong ship in mind, please post a pic so I can see which one you're talking about.
------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited March 14, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that person's diagram isn't correct, anyway, but I'd say that's the ship jh is talking about. As stated, the reason it was dubbed a through-deck carrier is that shuttlebay on the front. If there is still one at the back, too, small ships (the attack fighters and such) could fly in through one end and fly out through the other, w/o having to turn around inside. However, nothing is actually "known" about the ship. It was merely shown moving across the screen. All we know is the design, and the fact that it was supposedly labelled "USS CURRY", after Dan Curry who worked on DS9's visual effects. Even the name "Shelley" is fan-created, although almost universally used by now.

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No the diagram is not quite accurate. First off, the nacelle struts go straight down, I think. But it has generally the right feel. I've only seen one actual model of this ship that someone made using an ERTL excelsior model and an ERTL Miranda model. If anyone has found any other pics of actual physical models of this ship, please post them.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't have a vid cap card so I'm no good. The diagram here though is a little off. The struts do go straight down, and, from one angle at least, it looks as though the main body of ship runs the entire length under the saucer.

The reason being is that it is hard to put the ship in scale on the screen because there isn't anything next to it. The saucer on top could very well be a 'hangar/flight deck'. I don't find it too plausible that if they were going to have a carrier at all that they would launch them out of a shuttle bay, seems pretty limited. Multiple elevators leading up to a launching surface might be more feasible. Of course the obvious problem with that is that the deck is incredibly exposed. But then, what carrier deck isn't?

------------------
Kiff! I have bedded a woman. Inform the crew.
- Zap Brannigan

IP: Logged
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which 'ship' are we refering to? At the opening of what? *L* There's definitely a nebula in there if you are refering to DS9.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're taking about the Shelley/Curry. A forgot the episode's name, but it's 3 months into the Dominion War and the beginning of DS9's 6th season.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, like the topic says, the episode is "A Time to Stand". At least, I'm taking his word for it that this is the right ep.

And, as for the diagram of the Curry, the saucer should be in the middle, not at the back, and the nacelles should be much larger, due to incongruities of model scales.

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shelly/Curry class as seen in 'A Time To Stand' (screengrabs):
http://www.shiporama.org/ds9premr1.htm

And this is the best I could find when it comes to schematics:
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/FleetCharts/FedFleet.html

------------------
The Miranda Class model is not a kitbash, it is a bashkit.

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited March 15, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, don�t forget the infamous version in the ds9 tech manual. On this page of mine, you�ll find that schematic as well as a screengrab of the ship in question: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/scifi/newship.htm

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The starship is very structurally strong. I would estimate that 15 to 20 percent of the saucer has been destroyed. This would have crippled or destroyed another starship.
The ship's forward surface can be seen. There is a large secondary hull underneath the primary hull. A large shuttlebay complex is above the deflector in the bow of the secondary hull. Aft portion is shadowed. There may be a large connecting neck between primary and secondary.
Primary hull has two nacelles connected at the rear. And the ship has a single impulse crystal.
Since this ship has been seen once, after a battle, and never in action, the purpose of the ship will remain a mystery.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited March 15, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to how you go about determining such things as the amount of saucer a ship can lose without being crippled. I would imagine, so long as part of a computer core was still connected to the engines and reaction thrusters, the ship could still move around even if the rest of the hull was slag. (Though of course it is highly unlikely that such a precise pattern of damage would occur.)

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, from the screen caps posted, it appears as if almost none of the "deck" of the secondary hull is exposed. This kind of kills my (as well as some other peoples') theory that it is a flight deck of sorts. However, I could see the saucer section carrying a large shuttle launching facility. Perhaps we're simply unable to make out the bay doors in the screen cap. I don't really think it's necessary to identify this ship as a shuttle carrier though.

I would imagine that it serves some more utilitarian purpose than the excelsior or other ships of its design era as it's design is rather "cargo ship-ish".

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Actually, the DS9TM diagram probably isn't as inaccurate as everyone says. For one thing, it's the only one that shows the nacelles to be marger than normal C-II style nacelles. Since they would have been ripped off a Miranda model, and the Miranda model apparently is not at the same scale as the Excelsior one, the size should be off. This can even be sort of seen in the vidcaps, even though I have yet to convince anyone of all this.

Bear in mind that someone probably told Drexler how the kitbashes were assembled. He then got some models (just like the ones actually used), and recreated the ships to draw the diagrams. In some cases, he may have used the wrong parts (e.g. C-II pylons in place of Miranda ones), but the scales of the correct parts should be right.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps