Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What's right? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's right?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some questions to ship registries:

What's the correct NCC of the Gorkon: 40521 or 40512

USS Saratoga: 1937 or 1867

The Enzyclopedia gives 501 for the Antares, but 501 is given to the U.S.S. Jenghiz too.

What's the registry of the Saber, Akira and Norway

Most websites give a registry of 7xxxx for the U.S.S. Steamrunner, but the Appalachia has 52136 and the Riyadh (Starship Creator) has 33809!

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is any of this in the old SWDAO thread?
Did anybody ever consider making the various still-up-in-the-air SWDAO into a FAYUQ List?
(Frequently Asked, Yet Unanswerable Questions)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWDAO covers most of that stuff already...if not, we can add it.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This spontaneous stuff takes a little bit of planning." - John Flansburgh

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Encyclopedia has the USS Antares as NCC-501 because the USS Jenghiz doesn't exist in the canon Trek Universe, which is all that the Encyclopedia covers.

USS Akira is NX-62947 (comes from the Fact Files and partially from an old design sketch for the USS Akira that had the registry of NCC-2947. They just added a 6)

The other class ships are totally unknown, and we can't even begin to guess.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Saratoga's registry is NCC-1867. This registry is visible in the DVD version of THE VOYAGE HOME.
There is no canonical registry for the Antares and there is the question if the ship is either SS or USS.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Okuda claims that they didn't invent registries for the encyclopedias. Is it possible that that Antares' registry was seen on a display somewhere at some point?

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okuda is normally good about not inventing registries, but he did apparently make up the Raman's encyclopedia registry, since the real one was shown on-screen.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This spontaneous stuff takes a little bit of planning." - John Flansburgh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know if he "made it up". It might have been a mistake. I doubt he said "Oops, I don't think this one had a registry. Better make up a random number..." He might have gotten the number switched w/ something else. Or maybe he put down the right one, but somebody else somewhere along the line put something wrong. Who knows? But I doubt he intentionally invented it out of nowhere, just for the book.

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Encyclopedia I are 2 Grissoms:
NCC-42857 Excelsior-Class
NCC-59314 Oberth-Class

I thought the 59314-Oberth was an mistake, but today I saw a pic of an Oberth-class-vessel (p. 240) with the registry NCC-59314. ???

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.240 of what?

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 25, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

The 59314 Oberth is indeed a mistake. It was removed from later editions of the book. Beware Oberths with 59xxx registries in general.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"So, anyways, this is the 24th century. Starfleet officers have injections once a month or so so that they don't go getting each other pregnant. How would it be a problem for my character and Joral to be rocking the casbah?" - Fabrux

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Page 240 of the first edition of the Encyclopedia.

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no picture of any Oberth on p.240, it's the entry for Picard.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

By page 240, he means page 317.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"So, anyways, this is the 24th century. Starfleet officers have injections once a month or so so that they don't go getting each other pregnant. How would it be a problem for my character and Joral to be rocking the casbah?" - Fabrux

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Sorry, p 240 of the german version. Go to the starship list in the Encyclopedia. There are various starhip pictures. The Oberth there has this registry. Found it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited March 25, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps