Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The holoship. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The holoship.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the brand new Trek magazine.

According to the magazine, it is 246.88 meters long. I got a height of 57.44m. This is the only diagram, but I'm estimating the width of the ship to be between 110 and 130 meters.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though it is rather silly to mention the length again, isn't it?

*beats himself with a strap*

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhm Guys!! (and girls )

Impuls engines on the left, buzzard collectors on the right....
Shouldn't the bridge be on the other side??

------------------
"Those that can, do. Those that can't, laugh at those who can do."

- Xander from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'

[This message was edited by Altair on April 08, 1999.]

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting
So...I guess the only explanation would be that the bridge is located at the rear of the ship?

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

[This message was edited by DeadCujo on April 08, 1999.]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it would seem the bridge module is at the rear. Although it should also be noted that this is a STARBOARD view!

------------------
"Is there anyone there with a gun?"
- On the Hour

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen scematics that show the bridge on the front side.

------------------

[This message was edited by Altair on April 08, 1999.]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bussard collector and impulse engine (shouldn't it be the red thing above the center line?) clearly indicate it's a starboard view, besides the fact that the other ship diagrams also face in this direction. A bridge at the very rear end? Why not, the boxy design was more disturbing at first, but now I like it. A daring design for Star Trek. I think Shadow likes it too.

------------------
I know engineers - they love to change things. (McCoy, STTMP)
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that came just to my mind: The nacelles are very close to the hull, could it be they have pylons to be extended for warp flight?
Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Judging from the outlines, I'd say it looks like the nacelles can fold out like on the Phoenix (from First Contact).

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like it. In the movie it looked like a brick, but here we see the details.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"
Rollbar: "That's the best offer we've had all day..."

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It's..different..

And if it looks like a brick on the big screen, how will it look when I see it on video? (I've decided to save money and wait for the video)

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think TPTB were designing a ship reminiscent of a tanker---bridge at back with lots of storage space in front. Are there any unknown classes of transports??? If so this may be one of them. Probably not though, they like to make new classes way too much.
Pedro
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A magazine I have that describes the construction of some of the movie models talks about the bridge location. Apparently they built a study model based on some drawings, and only after showing it to the producers or somebody did they find out that they had it backwards. I forget what the solution was (I'll have to look), but I'm sure it has something to do with the strange bridge location.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What difference does it really make which end the bridge is at? It's not like the front end of the ship is blocking their view... :-)

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related subject as far as cargo ships and bridge locations, one of the trial issues talks about the design of the Cardassian freighter and mentions that it was inspired in part by modern tankers in that it has its bridge in back.

------------------
"I'm doctor, not a dragonslayer."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps