Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Survival rations... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Survival rations...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, about the rations, all I have been able to determine is that they taste awful.

Can anyone else tell me what we know about them, based on what we've seen on the shows?

--Baloo

PS: Rations are, TOO technology!

------------------
The hyperhamster is alive and well.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of them are made of curry. Seriously! It was in "Silicon Avatar"!

------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we've seen two main types of rations in use by Starfleet, so far. I'll have to look the names up, but there is the traditional, created beforehand kind, and then there is the low-power replicated kind.

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good! Keep the information coming!

I'm planning on doing something for SMR's Aero-Ground forces, along the lines of field kitchens, rations, etc., and need all the info I can get, however sketchy it may be.

--Baloo

------------------
The hyperhamster is alive and well.

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hummmm- Thinks

The Water Ration??

(DS9 Season 7 - Ep 1)

LMAO!

Sorry - it had to be done

Chris

------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

[This message was edited by StationMaster on March 14, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, a little more information.

The premade kind are kept in "ration packs." Each one apparently contains a full meal, and they're numbered. Number five, for instance, contains stewed tomatoes and dehydrated eggs.

------------------
--
R.E.M.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err, yum?

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

There are also combat rations, which come in shiny silver wrappers, as I recall. They provide enough nutrients for three days. Presumably there are species specific ones.

------------------
--
R.E.M.

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the Starfleet substitute for the MRE.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet the rations don't taste all that bad. After all, it is easy to adapt to "Surprise Meat" in the public schools and colleges. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I liked it.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, the ration packs are apparently not that bad. But the combat rations don't appear to have many supporters. Aside from Chief O'Brien, who happens to like them a lot.

------------------
--
R.E.M.

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that survival rations would be similar to today's military rations. Prepackaged small packs of:
Toilet paper, chewing gum, main meal, toothpick, snack, vitamin, water packet, and eating utensils. However I don't think things would be quite that simple. There are probably two types of rations, combat, and survival. Survival being much larger and complete, and less of a selection. Combat rations would be small packs easy enough to fit in your palm, and have a large selection. I do agree that they probably are spiecies-specific.

And to save on space, combat rations probably use a concentrate of water, maybe dueterium water?

And by the way, emergency survival ration SUCK. They always taste like cardboard. Personally when I'm on long backpacking trip I take some dehydrated food (mostly potatos and beans) and a gun. Can anybody say "grouse?"
------------------
"Truth is cheap, information costs."

[This message was edited by Antagonist on March 18, 1999.]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Curly Howard> Look at the grouse! </Curly Howard>

------------------
"Look into any eyes you find by you; you can see clear to another day..."
-The Grateful Dead, "Box of Rain"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Okay, it seems that what we know has been tapped. Now, how about what we suspect?

Meals, Ready to Eat (MREs) are designed to provide one meal (per package) for one person. They are used in the absence of group messing facilities (a chow hall or field kitchen).

In the Trek timeline (TNG, DS9, & Voy.), I am certain there would be scenarios where it would be impractical to replicate meals on an as-required basis (surface combat, very small vessels with limited space available, etc.)

What types of rations would be necessary:

1. When operating in a hostile environment (space or not-class-M planet), and wearing protective gear?

2. When aboard a small vessel (such as a fighter or shuttlepod) for an extended-length mission?

3. When operating as part of surface combat forces away from messing facilities?

4. Any other scenario you can think of?

Brainstorm, folks! Absolutely no criticism of anyone else's ideas for the next 10 posts (If we get that far). Stupid/absurd ideas are welcomed, as they may provide a springboard for practical ideas we haven't thought about yet.

Go to it, guys!

------------------
Carpe Canem!

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be quite difficult for someone to eat if they were in an environmental suit. It might be possible for them to have ingested some kind of "super food pill" that gave them enough nutrients to survive for a period of let's say, about 5 days. I don't think we can expect for people to be in zero-g for longer than that.

As for a normal kind of combat ration, I'd have to say something like an MRE. Species specific, but packed with more nutrients than is standard in an MRE. Instead of an MRE's 3000 calories, these rations would contain at least 6000 calories. This means the soilders would get the proper amount of nutrients, but not be spending too much time eating. As for what kind of food, I'm not sure. Easy to rehydrate, and good to eat. As for a designation like MRE, your guess is a good as mine.

Hope this is the kind of post you were looking for, Baloo.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps