Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Dimensions needed: (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dimensions needed:
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fourth, Fifth, and Tenth.
(but seriously...)

If anyone has generally agreed-upon dimensions for the saucer sections of the Galaxy and Sovreign, I'd like to hear them. I'm trying to scale my starship designs, and I need some base measurements to start with.

I could also use Intrepid, Prometheus, and those little fighters from SoA sizes.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried looking in the tng technical manual for the saucer section dimensions. i have a look tonight for you if you like? However, i cannot guarantee any thing.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I know the lengths of (most of) these and from there you can work out the saucer dimensions from the schematics.

Definite lengths:
Galaxy 2108'
Sovereign 2248'
Intrepid 1130'

I'm pretty sure the Prometheus is meant to be roughly 1360' but I'm really not sure about the SoA Fighters.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 24th century all english measurements has been deemed archaic and has been removed from society

USE METRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your anti-stonecutter brown_supahero

------------------
For all you Fighting needs
http://www.fighters.net

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In meters that is (EXACTLY):
Galaxy 642,5184m
Sovereign: 685,1904m
Intrepid: 344,424m
Prometheus: 414,528m

And I thought the fighters were roughly 30 meters.

------------------
If you want to know more about paranoids, follow them around...

(-=\V/=-)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the 170m Defiant!

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!"
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: I assume you meant to use decimal points. Those look like commas. And are the stats for Sovreign and Galaxy the whole ships, or the saucers alone?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you see, Altair is from the Netherlands, so the commas...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"People don't mind if you speak a subset of a natural language, especially if you are a child or a foreigner. (Except in Paris, of course.)" - Larry Wall

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking only the U.S., the U.K., Australia, and English Canadians use decimals... It's more easier to use commas when writing...

------------------
Star Trek: Leeds
Creator, Producer, Only Writer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and points for large numbers, like this: $100.000,00

Anyway, those are full lengths.

------------------
If you want to know more about paranoids, follow them around...

(-=\V/=-)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer putting a space in, like this: $100 000,00

------------------
Star Trek: Leeds
Creator, Producer, Only Writer

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$10,000,000 here in America. My Chemistry teacher tried to enforce the metric system on us, even though no one used it. Putting spaces every 3 numbers makes it look like it's a different number to me so I'll stick with the commas.

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!"
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spaces let you mentally group things rather well, IMO.

I have a list somewhere of what countries/parts of countries use commas, spaces, and periods for what when writing numbers. It was a pretty interesting list, too...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proper way to write down a hundred million dollars would of course be 10^8 $, or alternatively 100 M$. This way there is no endless and confusing string of zeroes that would require commas, full stops or spaces. Comparison of order of magnitude is also simple, since it's directly visible in the exponent or the prefix letter. (And of course the $ sign has to come after the number, not before it, to conform to the sensible general system).

Here in Finland, we aren't much better than the Anglo-Saxon world: we do place the symbol for the currency unit after the number, but we still use strings of zeroes separated by spaces, with comma as the decimal sign. Going metric came naturally (back then the nation was barely literate ), and going SI is also working in that we're finally getting rid of horsepowers and calories at least. But there's a lot to be improved in matters of notation...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the correct way is grouping in threes with spaces - but people know what you're on about when you put commas i.e. 1 million:

1 000 000
or

but what is with this COMMA for a decimal POINT!

that has got to be just wrong...

everything - stock market/scientific journals - everything uses e.g. thirty-seven point nine.

_______

etc.
(bugger the spaces didn't work to line up the decimal points)

sorry, who uses the currency symbol after the number?
$20
�1000
�40

Andrew
and to add them for fun

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited April 07, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps