Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Dimensions needed: (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dimensions needed:
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finland?! Nifty! Finnish is one of the best languages around, if you like noun cases like I do.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"People don't mind if you speak a subset of a natural language, especially if you are a child or a foreigner. (Except in Paris, of course.)" - Larry Wall

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweden uses commas too, but I don't have a problem using points when I know I will show the figures to some off-worlder.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited April 07, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proper Duth way is:
�100.000.000.000,000

OR

�100 000 000 000,000 (used in printed txt mostly, like maths books)

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One million currency units in french would be:

1 000 000,00 $

or

1 000 000,00 � (I'm not sure if that's the symbol for francs...)

------------------
Star Trek: Leeds
Creator, Producer, Only Writer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prakesh: That's one zero to many after the comma, in both cases

------------------
"Look! I'm quoting myself."
- me

(-=\V/=-)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the Galaxy Class saucer dementions on the Art of STar Trek book. But its in feet...

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't localization/internationalization (l10n, i18n in geekspeak) fun?

There's no "correct" way to format numbers; even within a single country there are sub-fields that do it differently; for example, in the US locale, you don't use commas as "thousands separators" for any science-type numbers; conversely, in financial matters you use parentheses instead of dashes for negative numbers. The US and Canada agree on periods as decimal place indicators, but Canada officially uses spaces as thousands separators while the US uses commas.

As a software developer working on user-level applications for a world-wide market, you get used to these things. Take nothing for granted. We're lucky that the whole world uses base 10 and (mostly) just the Arabic digits 0-9 - but when you have right-to-left text (Hebrew, Arabic) and left-to-right numbers (e.g. "!dlrow 123 olleH"), even that complicates things!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.