Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Equinox Secondary Deflector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Equinox Secondary Deflector
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While watching the repeat of Equinox, I got to thinking about why the Equinox would need a secondary deflector, let alone such a big one. Then I remembered back to the TNG Tech Manual, and how there is a lot of science equipment placed behind the deflector dish of the Enterprise-D. Then I remembered that the Equinox is a science ship, and would require a lot of sensor equipment.

So, then it hit me. It isn't a deflector dish! It could just be a huge cluster of sensory equipment hidden behind a semi-transparent wall similar in design to the main deflector.

The same could also apply to Voyager's secondary deflector, since it would need some extra sensors as well.

(Also, I noticed that the top of the nacelles of the Equinox have the ship's registry number on them, but they're really thick and bold)

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might be right. A ship so small having two deflectors so big is odd.

------------------
"Contact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... more or less."
-Tal Celes "Good Shepard"
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7647/

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to figure that one out myself, but your reason seems to fit quite well.

------------------
Actually, don't check out my website, its not finished yet :)
Quantum Threshold

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, long-range navigational sensors need the boost of some sort of FTL subspace thingamabob to be useful. The navigational deflector systems need the boost of a FTL subspace thingamabob to reach sufficiently far ahead of the ship. On the E-D, the two types of equipment seem to share the same FTL booster, which many be a big and expensive piece of equipment.

Perhaps on the Nova class, the FTL booster thing makes it possible for nav sensors and scientific sensors to probe far ahead, but omits the deflector part (which is nothing but a FTL-accelerated tractor beam on reverse anyway).

Sensors not clustered behind a FTL booster (i.e. lateral sensors) wouldn't be able to work at FTL speeds and would thus have a limited range as far as gathering of realtime information was concerned.

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, I have a small question to ask: Doesn't Voyager have the secondary deflector on the underside of the Saucer in front of the AeroShuttle? I'm looking at the schematics from ST: The Magazine and even though it says the aux. deflector is on the top of the Saucer, I see what looks like another aux. deflector in front of the AeroShuttle.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those are windows down there...

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's some kind of recreational area. Maybe an arboretum?

------------------
Actually, don't check out my website, its not finished yet :)
Quantum Threshold

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, thanks guyz...

Are those the windows that Seven and Naomi passed through when Voyager was in that space alien's stomach? Or maybe an observation deck for the AeroShuttle?

------------------

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The windows Naomi and Seven passed were unlike the windows in front of the Aerowing. The Messhall has six windows and so did that room. The lower one only has three Large windows like the one's in Janeway, Chakotay, and Tuvok's quarters. Plus, it's possible for the Messhall to be cleared out of furniture. But, I wonder where it would all go?
P.S. Does anyone out there have any good Equinox schematics? Have they been in the Fact Files yet?
---------------------------
"You know, I'm easy to get along with, most of the time. But I don't like bullies, I don't like threats, and I don't like you Culluh."
-Captain Kathryn Janeway

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Thanks nx59650 or should I say nx74913? Just kidding... I only have the cutaway of the Equinox from the ST: The Magazine and it's only a portion of the ship that is shown.

------------------

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that schematic too. I was hoping for one like those awesome ones in the Fact Files. I'll just bide my time. It'll most probably be out sooner or later.
(By the way, nx59650 is MUCH easier to remember than nx74913, although using that regisrty # would have made sense.... )

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I'm just hoping that when Fact Files publish info on the Nova Class, they won't make far-fetched names and registries that would drive us all mad.

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

I made one. It's not the greatest though, and I have yet to update it with Photoshop. http://members.xoom.com/avalonsector/junk/novaschem.jpg

------------------
I need to think of something...
Quantum Threshold

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the Starcraft's Equinox model. It came with a one page instruction sheet that had a decent schematic. I scanned it, so here it is. It could use a little doctoring to makeit look nice, but I don't have the time. It looked pretty good to me though.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Very nice.

But why does the Equinox have it's own form of Aerowing?

Is the model itself decent?

------------------

The 359 Webpage

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.