Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Book set for 2001 release...

Author Topic: Starship Book set for 2001 release...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess it's official. The folks as SimonSays are developing a Starship book in conjunction with people from Foundation Imaging.

Yes, that's right. Foundation Imaging. It seems to me there will be little or no collaboration with anyone from the Trek art dept, or anyone else even remotely 'official' for that matter. (That is, if this 'Mojo' and 'Rob' work for FI, as I believe they do.)

Read Margaret Clark's Q&A for a little more info. (Hardly informative, though)

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited April 16, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll go scream now.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"It's easy to learn to drive a golf cart, but it's hard to express yourself in one." - Larry Wall

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...are you sure? Reading the column, I see that there are two distinct projects there. One, a starship calender with images provided by Foundation Imaging. The second, the starship book, sounds a bit unlike what Sternbach has been talking about anyway. Maybe I'm all confuseled, but Sternbach's been talking a reference manual, while the column mentions a "coffee table" book. Going from the previous such books from Pocket Books, I'm imaging something that's mostly artwork. The column doesn't say that this coffee table book is the same sort of book that Sternbach has been proposing. Nor does it mention anything about such a proposal. We've got a book of starship "money shots" coming up, apparently, and I think that's super cool neato. But nowhere does it say that this precludes publishing the thick technical stuff we're all interested in.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good. Of course, we still have to wait several years anyway.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank, sometimes you are frightening on a scale that boggles the human imagination." - Krenim

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I haven't been to her QandA section - but Margret and I had a little tiff over new artwork over at the headlines section of Trekweb... especially reguarding the cover of the DS9 companion, which I HAD to point out used the same old tired Season 1 DS9 promo picture again - this time treated with some blue wormholey effects... and just the one head shot of Sisko, where as the TOS and TNG companions had cast shots... (she said who could she snub Terry or Nicole - well considering Terry had been there 6 seasons... what is it with these people and their short memories...) Anyway - I mentioned - why not some nice new 'beauty' shots of starships and stations etc. Stuff that is not the same old rehash. i.e. TNG season 1 - infront of beige planet, DS9 season DS9 from side with large white stars... Voyager season 1 - blueish from below or the side... you've all seen these picks. She was returning with 'its hard to do new shots' - I said the last new DS9 shot that we ever saw that was promo quality was the station/runabout shot from season 2... she said its hard to DS9 from other angles... That was the biggest bullshite cause - DS9 looks BEAUTIFUL from lots of angles - how many have we seen over the years. Think of the episodes when you see DS9 from the top. Oh well... So is this new book going to be new 'beauty shots??' - seeing as Foundation are being specially commissioned to do this book - maybe we could finally get their asses into digitising the Ambassador, New Orleans and the D'Kora Ferengi Marauder... After all - we're the Trek Nerd's who are going to forking out the money.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get your undies in a bunch just yet.

As I understand it, there are THREE starship projects in the works right now:

1. The Ships of the Line Calendar -- out this summer -- should be cute, but not Earth-shattering.

2. The Starship Enterprise book -- the Okuda's baby. Should cover all starships named Enterprise in some detail (we can only hope)

3. The Starship "coffee table" book (as I see it, 'coffee table' means BIG. oversized, probably. There's little or no info out on this yet, but I've been supporting this cause here and there for some time now, and I've let everybody I can think of know that the IDEAL thing would be a "Jane's Fighting Ships" style book (a 'coffee table' book, if I've ever seen one, Jane's is HUGE!).

All I know about the DS9 Companion is that it's going to be an enormous 800+ page book, and that more than makes up for old artwork. Puh-LEEZE!

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy hell AndrewR, what exactly was that rant about?

And I'm wishing for a 'Jane's-esqe' book myself, but considering this book if from guys named 'Mojo' and 'Rob', and that they're from Foundation, I guess we'll have to wait a few years for the booke we want tot be out.

I have little doubt that this new starship book (By FI)will be little more than an extended starhip calendar. (Anybody up for a wager?)

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited April 17, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh... I guess Canadians will have to make bets with other Canadians cause it'd cost us $30 to pay a yank $20 US....

------------------
"Keep on Trekking"
-D. Kelly

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least the ships may look good, if not the technical specifications. We may end up with a book with a detailed look at the Akiras and have it say it's 26 decks thick and have tri-cobalt torpedoes...

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps