Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Saratoga Design

Author Topic: U.S.S. Saratoga Design
Drake
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first post in this forum, so allow me to apologize in advance if this question has already been answered.

I was reviewing the Borg battle scene in the DS9 premier "Emissary", and I noticed that the saucer of the U.S.S. Saratoga looked more like a old-style constitution saucer. To re-enforce the Old-style constitution theory, the U.S.S. Saratoga fired its phaser weapon from the dome at the bottom of the saucer.

Most of the battle scenes show the U.S.S. Saratoga from the bottom. The only time I saw the top was when Locutus is watching the battle on the view screen, and the ship was to far away to make any visual identification.

I picked up my ST:encyclopedia and I looked at the U.S.S. Saratoga's entry, but the design shows the ship with the refit Constitution saucer. The Fact Files shows the same images.

The quality of the tape I have is poor, and it only shows the battle scene, so I could be missing crucial informaiton. Could anyone verify or disprove what I saw?

Thanks
Drake

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your theory is nice, but wrong. The Saratoga did not use an old style Connie saucer. It was basically a modified Miranda studio model. Rollbar removed and weapons pods stuck to the side where the nacelle pylons met the ship. The phaser coming out of the lower sensor dome was a mistake on their part because that is not where the phasers are in the first place. The standard phaser banks on the saucer underside where still there and those should have been used instaed.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you can see in the image below (courtesy Frank Gerratana), the Saratoga has a Constitution II saucer. Note the sensor dome and the way there appears to be a little bit of a lip around the exterior of the saucer.

------------------
"Keep on Trekking"
-D. Kelly

Drake
Ex-Member

What is a constitution II saucer? Is that the saucer used in the movies?

Even with your photograph, It still looks like an older saucer. Modified perhaps, but the thick lip and the light color still suggest a variation of the older saucer.

Thanks
Drake

Drake
Ex-Member

Nevermind I can see the difference

Thanks for your help,

Drake

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps