Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG contradiction (?)

Author Topic: TNG contradiction (?)
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "The Dauphin" Riker claims that the Enterprise can't generate (one, two... unknown) a terawatt of power when they are contacted by the planet to which they were transporting Salia. But in "New Ground", Data says "We are presently generating 12.75 billion gigawatts per... (he was interrupted before he could finish his sentence, but he was likely going to say "second")... well, one billion gigawatts equals one MILLION terawatts!

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"12.75 billion gigawatts per second" would be nonsense. Watts are a measure of power. Power is the energy generated or used per second. You do not generate watts per second. You generate joules per second. 1 watt = 1 Joule per second. The missing word would have to have been something else.

Data should also have said '12.75 exawatts' rather than '12.75 billion gigawatts'. I think we just assume that this was translated for 20th century audiences who weren't as familiar with some of the more obscure SI prefixes.

The consensus is that Riker is an idiot and that nothing he says or does should ever be taken seriously.

Oh, okay. He was talking about the amount of power that the Enterprise can put out from her communications systems. Not the total power output of the ship.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, Geordi once said that the warp core generates power in the "terawatt range."

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I was walking out of a movie, and some people recognized me from They Might Be Giants. They said 'Are you John?' and I said '...Yeah.' and then they said 'We're glad to see you getting out.'" - John Linnell

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They just want you to think: Geez', that's a lot! and get away with it..

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, like ID said, he was probably talking about a specific system, not overall. The ship can generate 12.75 EW, but that doesn't mean they have an entire TW to spare. All that power is being used to run the ship, and really large amounts can't be rerouted w/o affecting the ship's systems...

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, we've never seen any indication that the Enterprise uses anything near EW-range power...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
This is an audio signature. Download audio

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it makes no sense to say "we generating XXX Watts per second" since a Watt is already a unit of energy per second, but that made me wonder why Data would use such a line... I mean, what else could he have said? "We are presently...blabla...per warp nacelle"?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

The script says "per second," actually.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
This is an audio signature. Download audio

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it was "per hour", or something. If power generation fluctuates over time, he might have been telling what the average was.

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.