Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » shuttle in "skin of evil"

Author Topic: shuttle in "skin of evil"
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was made aware by Timo that in that tng episode we get to see a shuttle wreck which was a new shuttletype. I was wondering if anybody got any pics.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had a season 1 TNG marathon here in Australia over Easter... 24 hrs of non-stop Trek... anyway I caught Skin of Evil again - and it is a very good episode on second viewing... the ending - after watching the whole of season 1 nearly, before it was QUITE moving...

Anyway - I too thought that the Shuttle we saw on Valera?? was of a different sort - but then again it could have been that the mock-up set model could have been a bit different to the effects model... I assume its supposed to be the Shuttle first seen in "Coming of Age"? The inside of the cockpit looks similar to the interior in that episode and in "Unnatural Selection" and "Samaritan Snare".

Maybe it was the shuttle that we see in the Art of Star Trek drawn on the terraforming station from "Home Soil" and the shuttle model we see in The Art of Star Trek that was used in the BOBW wrekage scene - from the Liberator... We couldn't see the front of the shuttle in Home Soil because it was embedded in the rock.

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to clarify, I hope that Timo allows me this quote from him:

"The shuttle wreck I mentioned gets a few good pans in the episode - Apparently, TPTB built a subscale model
of the aft end of the shuttle, and of two nacelles that were "torn off in the crash", and buried all that partially inside a scale model of a cliff. They panned from this scale model seamlessly to a full-sized "planet hell" set, pulling the focus so that the shuttle ended up looking as big as the actors on the set.
They then used the full-size mock-up of the Type 7 shuttle cockpit for the interior scenes. But the crash tore off much of the interior as well, so the cockpit need not have originally been identical to the Type 7 one if we don't want to say it was...
If TPTB had wanted to say that this was a Type 7 shuttle, they could easily have made the model look like one. Instead, they created a new model with a big round aft window and few other surface features
except for decorative lines on the sides, and two long and straight nacelles with a very narrow "field window" running in the centerline (it's much like an Excelsior nacelle without the big cutout on top). Even though this model is called "Shuttle 13" in the dialogue, I'd
say it is the closest thing to a TNG era runabout we have seen so far.
When the E-D crew tries to beam out Troi from the wreckage, we see computer displays of the shuttle - but they use the standard Type 7 image. Apparently, Starfleet uses generic shuttle symbols in its computer screens, instead of exact images of the type in question."

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited April 28, 2000).]

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is the case, (even if it was a subscale mock up) it was still pretty large compared to the actors on the set. Gates McFadden is seen stepping in front of it, in reference to the cameras line of sight. It is also a fair distance away as the oil slick is also seen in the background (also a fair spot away) between Crusher and the crashed shuttle.

It is sad that the only other mockup of the Type 7 shuttle was that awful, flat, blocky one from the 2nd season shuttle bay set in "Unnatural Selection." Although I liked it's size, it just didn't do the model justice. Too bad that one of the best shuttle designs was literally abandoned by TNG's 3rd season because the full sized mockups were not adequate to the task. They introduced the angular shuttle pod as a stepping stone and then replaced the Type 7 model and mockups with the modified shuttle design from ST V:TFF, and called it Type 6.

Its ironic that now Voyager can CGI a whole new Ship like the Delta Flyer and never even build a model.

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they can't make CGI interior sets just yet... wait does Voyager's Killing Game count when sickbay exploded?

------------------
"Life is like a dick, sometimes you just wanna f**k it"
-Yun Zhu
USS Vanderbilt NCC-73121, Vanderbilt Class Starship

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps