Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Aerowing" on Equinox (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: "Aerowing" on Equinox
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that the Equinox has a sort of "aerowing", which can be seen in st:the magazine. Since I live in Europe I can�t get that magazine. Can someone please scan the "aerowing", and post it here?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no picture of the craft itself, it's just an outline on the ship's underside. Somebody's gonna scan in the full CGI views sooner or later - maybe I'll do it. It's a great article.

Boris

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris: Yeah, I heard that too, it�s the same view that we see with Voyager�s aerowing, isn�t it?
Can you scan that? I would love to see it!

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris:

What issue is that referring to?

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Issue #7 page 22. The saucer section is not shown in MSD format, just a small area in the center of the ship.

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!"
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can see a side view of the Nove class Aerowing on the MSD seen in the episodes.

Also there is at least one fly-by in the first episode where you can see the underside of the saucer of the CGI model.

------------------
"Look! I'm quoting myself."
- me

(-=\V/=-)

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, this is not issue 7. It's issue 14 with Robert Beltran on the cover, which somehow landed in a Manhattan comic shop prior to the stated release date (actually, this happens all the time, and much of the preview info is incorrect anyway - issue 13 didn't mention the Equinox article). This one's got Rick's blueprints, CGI views, the works. I'll try to scan in some of the materials.

Boris

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick ass, CGI's and schematics of the Nova-class! I look forward to the issue.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally some schematics of the Nova-class! I love that little ship! As for the Aeroshuttle, Fructose1 posted this schematic in an earlier subject and it clearly shows the "NASA-spaceshuttle" contours of the Aeroshuttle. As for the schematics and CGI coming up in issue 14 of the Star Trek Magazine; why didn't they tell us in the "Coming soon" part?
Jim Phelps
Member # 102

The image looks pretty darn accurate if you ask me; here's the real thing:
http://www.adelphi.edu/~skrbicb/eq4view.jpg

Boris

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe... This screws up SFA's Nova model considerably...

------------------
"Keep on Trekking"
-D. Kelly

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

I have the SFA CGIs on my hard drive. They looks like the next best thing to the model kit schematics - I'm not sure that StarCraft could've arrived at these by simply watching the show.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited May 02, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the Aerowing, it certainly looks like some kind of heavy craft (definatly too big to fit in the shuttlebay). You can see some sort of vents on the port and starboard of the object, most likely impulse engines. It looks like it has stubby wings too. This looks a heck of a lot like the X-33 VentureStar

As for Equinox herself, could this thing look anymore like a bloated duck? Anyway, we can start making some guesses on this class's capabilities. First, front view, she definatly has two forward torpedo launchers, one on either side of the upper deflector.

Top view, what is the thing inbetween the shuttlebay and the impulse engine along the spine? It looks like some kind of alcove, since the area is obviously raised, and the dark area below appears to be sunken in. Maybe aft torpedo launchers? I'm also guessing this ship only has 4 transporters or less since there are only 6 transporter pads, 4 fore, 2 aft.

Bottom view, very odd. First, what is the small area at the very front where the ships name/registry is located? Some kind of add-on to the shield-grid? Moving back, why is the lower sensor dome (I am assuming that is meant to be a sensor dome) green? Farther back still, on either side of the main ventral strip, there appear to be rather large cargo doors. Maybe for loading super-heavy cargo equipment? Another thing to notice, no escape pods on the ventral side. They are all dorsal.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

The 'waverider'-shuttle is an atmospheric craft, capable of Mach 5 and above according to Sternbach. No mention is made of its space capabilities in the article - it may not have impulse engines since those do not appear to function well within the atmosphere (Timo's thoughts).

The Voyager herself looks...well rounded likewise. The Equinox could take some weight off the forward secondary hull.

I kept looking for the forward launchers in the area just above the secondary hull deflector, because that's where the MSD puts them. Then I saw the two rather obvious tubes - another case where the finished model contradicts the MSD.

The raised area are the aft launchers, most likely. There is a prelim schematic (unlabeled) which shows two tubes protruding out.

The area on the front bottom where the registry is located corresponds to the horizontal part of the saucer deflector - maybe it's a removable sensor array?

I count 20 pods total. With a crew of about 80, that works out to a minimum of four people per pod. They look like Voyager's pods which have a capacity of at least six people.

Are transporter emitters the yellowish rectangles on each side of the bridge escape pods? They are yellow on Voyager.

Also, what's the little alcove on the ventral side of the tail? There is also an aft tractor beam emitter between the nacelle pylons.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited May 02, 2000).]

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Equinox is a chubby little sucker, isn't she? I still like the Nova-class, though. It's like VW beetles; they're tiny and chubby but that makes us love them even more!

Some thoughts about the Nova-class though:

1. The large "cargo doors" that the359 mentioned actually look like landing-strut doors and it would coincide with the MSD, which gives the Nova-class landing struts.
One question arises though; where are the doors for the aft landing-struts?

2. On the Aeroshuttle, we can clearly make out aft impulse vents and stubby warp nacelles on the sides that we couldn't make out before. This tells us that's it's really a shuttle of some sort (Aeroshuttle?) This leads me to wonder: Is every part of this ship adorably chunky?

3. The sensor dome reminds us of the green glowing Borg enhancements of the Delta-Flyer, doesn't it? It looks cool anyway.

4. The aft alcove just above the shuttlebay is most definitely aft torpedo launcers. It would just be a wise design move to put them there. Hey Boris, do you have any aft views so we can verify this?

5. The whole Deck 1 area is the best part of the whole ship. It's a design not unlike the Defaints', but flowing and oblong so we get a sense of "speed". The port/starboard windows on Deck 1 are probably the Conference lounge and Ready room.

Although they might sound naive to all you senior members, those are my thoughts on the subject. Thanks for listening.
Chris

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps