Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Aerowing" on Equinox (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: "Aerowing" on Equinox
Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohmygod! I love this stuff! I knew it would only be a matter of time before this stuff showed up!
Boris, you are godsend!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm, what are the little 'wings' on the back of the Equ's nacelles? The are reminiscent of the similar structures on the E-nil... what do they do? Do they aid in the Equ's case in Atmospheric entry?

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can definately picture a four-nacelled version of the ship now... but with a thinner secondary hull. At least now I know why the dedication plaque said Noble Class.

Is there a MSD of the Equinox showing everything?

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the episodes. Which also clearly shows the Equinox to be LESS THAN half the length of Voyager, meaning less than 172 meters.

------------------
"Look! I'm quoting myself."
- me

(-=\V/=-)

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MSD itself doesn't indicate that, it's the Okudagram of Voyager and Equinox MSDs next to each other that seems to suggest that the Equinox is less than 1/2 the length of Voyager. We don't know that the two are to scale.

If we look at the deck heights within the actual Equinox MSD, and assume that the lowest decks are 10' apart, the overall length works out to 189 +/- 6 meters. A 150m Equinox would give us several eight-foot decks, which is possible but highly uncommon.

Furthermore, the size of the human figures in the MSD suggests a size of *at least* 202 meters, that's assuming the figures are 6 feet tall. I took the most conservative size for the figures (9 pixels) - the actual figure might go beyond 200m.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited May 04, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really see any things resembling warp nacelles on the 'aircraft' like vehicular appendage on the underside of the Nova Class's saucer.

I wonder how long Frank thinks it is.

------------------
"Hello and welcome to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter - just like a condom to a Trekkie." - Drew Carey, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
160m, if you must know...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "You know, we actually know the next song we're going to play. We're talking about some personal stuff that concerns just me and John. I realize that this probably isn't the time or the place."
John Flansburgh: "We can finish this conversation in the car."

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't talking about the MSD's when I said that the Equinox is less than half Voyagers length. The flyby shots in part one show it.

Actually the MSD's are a rather accurate representation of the flyby's.

I have to agree with Frank here: 160m

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you post any pics? I have a bunch of Frank's equinox1,2,3,4... pics on my hard drive, none of which show a good side-by-side comparison. I actually haven't looked at the VFX yet.

Boris

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This picture might help. It's the only MSD I've ever seen comparing Voyager to the Equinox. It also gives (albeit unledgible) a full schematic of the Equinox.
Hope it helps!

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

I looked at that one earlier, and agree that it suggests a 140-150m Equinox. Question is, what does the VFX show?

Boris

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the full MSD of the Equinox exist? And the
VFX shot of the Equinox near Voyager seems to look like the Nova Class is ~170 meters.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

There might be a full MSD visible somewhere in the show, but you're not gonna be able to see too many details unless Okuda decides to publish the complete version in the Magazine or a future Encyclopedia. The only detailed portion is the one from the Magazine.

I found the following VFX image of the Equinox underneath Voyager on Graham Kennedy's website. The span of Voyager's nacelles is no more than twice the width of the Equinox's saucer. Measuring the indicated lines, I got an upper limit of 161 meters for the Eq's length. Interesting.

Boris

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could anyone post a bigger pic of just the waverider? Perhaps that would settle some of the questions?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Waverider?

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps