Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A ship name the writers could use

Author Topic: A ship name the writers could use
Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Federation starship Nunavut, after the new Canadian province.
IP: Logged
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. And we pronounce that how?
Looks like a cool name though.

You know what ... ships have been named by state names, country names, province names. People very rarely ever use something cool, new, origional.
Hm. Is there a USS Stingray? ... I think that would be a cool name. Or the USS Destiny.

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 7th season $poiler: (for the very few who don't already know)
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
Destiny has been used. Ezri Dax served on it.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

Pronunciation: You could probably get away with saying "None of it," but pronounce the "o" in "none" and the "i" in "it" like the "u" in "full."
Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An audio file would be quite helpful....

------------------
There's a lady who knows, all that glitters is gold...and she's buying a stairway to heaven. -Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noon-ah-vut, Noon-ah-vit will also do.

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-topic alert!!!!

First, it's a territory, not a province. Regions with 25000 people tend not to get the broad reaching autonomic powers that Canadian provinces do.

Secondly, its got a gawd-awful flag.

"None-of-it" is a pretty crappy American-cop-out pronounciation, apparently. I think the acceptable forms are Noonuhvuht and Nunuhvuht, or at least, that's what most of the news anchors have used. The final vuht sounds a bit like vit, as the Inuit vowels tend to sit a little off to the side of the standard Canadian ones.

Back to trek... Starship and Nunavut seem to work well together. It wouldn't surprise me if all the Canadian provinces/territories have some sort of ship named after them in the 24th century.

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

[This message was edited by The_Tom on April 04, 1999.]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. New Brunswick!!! Alright!!!!!!!

------------------
"It appears, Admiral, that we're going to be slightly delayed."
-Emperor Issisus

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wish I could remember the bit they had about this on the Daily Show the other day.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cringes at prospect of USS Northwest Territories* :-)

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just try to pronounce this:

USS Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

------------------
I know engineers - they love to change things. (McCoy, STTMP)
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, the flag is not bad at all. It doesn't fulfill strict heraldic criteria, but is quite simple and easy to recognize, unlike many Canadian and especially US state flags. I hope the Pope won't protest, for the main colors white and yellow have been reserved for the Vatican so far.

Where is Nunavut exactly? I guess it was formerly part of the Northwest Territories?

Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

You know, I did say to modify the pronunciation of "None of it," and I said he could "probably get by." Being a foreign language student I do my best, and I felt everyone here having some familiarity with English in its myriad forms and spellings, I might as well use that example. I could go through all of the symbols and marks in the dictionary, but for one, I am not proficient enough with the computer to add such pronunciation guides to my post (nor do I have a clue on audio files), and for two I didn't think we had to go through it all.

As for province over territory, it was a simple mistake; I know it to be a territory, and I accidently substituted one for the other. I will admit I was unfamiliar with the exact differences behind province/territory labels, but if I wasn't in a hurry, I wouldn't have made the mistake.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.